• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Cloud tops still lowering... where's NASA ?

Since they initially reported in 2012, about cloud tops lowering ...no further updates regarding this have been made.   My guess is the data will be hidden from now on...as to not alarm the public.   Even as abnormal rain rates / downpours continue to occur world-wide.  4 inches of rain per hour seems to be a normal thing these days.. And Hurricanes don't have the same uniform , symmetrical look as they've had in years past. Just 2 examples.

their report in 2012 -

https://www.iceagenow.info/cloud-tops-dropping-closer-earth-lead-global-cooling/

Of course we’re being told that “global warming is bringing clouds closer to the ground,” and that “Falling clouds could counter global warming.”

Data from the NASA Terra satellite shows that the world’s clouds have lowered during the last decade,  says a new study published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

Most of the reduction was due to fewer clouds at very high altitudes

The clouds “may be falling in response to rising global temperatures and having a cooling effect on global warming,” say researchers at the University of Auckland

“We don’t know exactly what causes the cloud heights to lower,” said lead researcher, Professor Roger Davies. “But it must be due to a change in the circulation patterns that give rise to cloud formation at high altitude.”

The time frame is short (only 10 years), but if future observations show that clouds are truly getting lower, it could have an important effect on global climate change.

Lower clouds in the atmosphere would allow Earth to cool more efficiently, “potentially offsetting some of the warming caused by greenhouse gases.”

The global warming religion rears its ugly head once again. But I’m thinking they have it backward.

Is global warming bringing those clouds closer to the ground?

Or could it be that those clouds are coming closer to the ground because of global cooling?

“Two thoughts, lower magnetic field lets in more gamma rays deeper into atmosphere and temperature of the atmosphere is dropping,” says Paul. “My thinking correct?”

“This one is funny with the ‘global warming’ dig in the middle…. ie, helps prevent such, without mention of the opposite affect such conditions might allow, such as an ice age,” says Greg.

“I had to send you this despite the obvious fact that a colder upper atmosphere causes Earth’s atmospheric bubble to contract and as a direct result for clouds to form closer to Earth’s surface,” says C. Peter.

“Yet the global warmist nutbars STILL try to blame global warming for this sure sign of quickening Global Cooling. Why do they continue with their lies and double-speak when it is becoming so obvious that we need to start fearing the coming cold?”

I don't know the details of the cloud lowering, and honestly, I really don't feel like researching it at the moment. I'll say this, thoough: there are negative feedbacks in the climate system, which will cause cooling or a lessening of the warming at various times and in various places. I don't think there's any denial that these things exist. However, there are a lot of positive feedbacks as well and the data we have seems to indicate that they play a larger role than the negative ones, so the result will be a continued warming trend. "Clouds falling" may offset some warming in some areas, but it's not going to lead to global cooling. It would have to have an immense effect just by itself and we should be seeing some of it, yet we are not. The planet is by every metric warmer than it was 10 years ago.

15 hours ago, WidreMann said:

I don't know the details of the cloud lowering, and honestly, I really don't feel like researching it at the moment. I'll say this, thoough: there are negative feedbacks in the climate system, which will cause cooling or a lessening of the warming at various times and in various places. I don't think there's any denial that these things exist. However, there are a lot of positive feedbacks as well and the data we have seems to indicate that they play a larger role than the negative ones, so the result will be a continued warming trend. "Clouds falling" may offset some warming in some areas, but it's not going to lead to global cooling. It would have to have an immense effect just by itself and we should be seeing some of it, yet we are not. The planet is by every metric warmer than it was 10 years ago.

don't know how old you are sonny , but back in the 60's , 70's , 80's , 90's ...it was very rare for areas to see 2 to 4 inches of rain per hour.  Now (that rain rate) occurs every time with a summer downpour.

Hurricanes as well, were perfectly symmetrical (most of the times) when category 2 or higher.  They had very symmetrical eyewalls.  Now their all spread out / lopsided each and every time..nobody out there seems smart enough to see this. they'll mention silly things like "intense eyewall replacement going on"...  forever and ever I guess.    Same thing will  occur this hurricane season.   The systems will either be extremely elongated and spread out...or intense but lopsided.

just have to look at images (satellite and radar) of strong hurricanes in the 80's and 90's...and compare with 2010+

2 hours ago, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

just have to look at images (satellite and radar) of strong hurricanes in the 80's and 90's...and compare with 2010+

So there were more high-end TCs in two entire decades than in a period of seven years? Shocking. Also, you're on crack. The following systems are just from 2016 – a fairly tame year globally – and I even left out the WPAC to be charitable.

QWMnbOv.jpg

7I5NQKV.jpg

Jzlo3Xh.jpg

NGFuQIn.jpg

Hf79TwO.jpg

gAbhiWF.jpg

^people like you 'crack' me up.    typical shill talk.   everything's normal , move along folks. 

Ordinary run-of-the-mill flooding around MD / DC today as well I guess. 

show the corresponding radar images to go along with those, and you'd see a big difference.    The size of the eye alone in those images is double than what a cane of that magnitude would have in the 80's / 90's. 

^people like you 'crack' me up.    typical shill talk.   everything's normal , move along folks. 

Ordinary run-of-the-mill flooding around MD / DC today as well I guess. 

show the corresponding radar images to go along with those, and you'd see a big difference.    The size of the eye alone in those images is double than what a cane of that magnitude would have in the 80's / 90's.

Typhoon Carmen in 1960 had what is widely accepted as the largest TC eye on record. If anything, I've noticed more pinhole eyes this decade than ever before. I just cherry-picked the storms with the big, clear eyes because they look nicer.

In the Cane dept , you just don't see them like this anymore.  Even when their Cat 5. 

Forecasters are too clueless to notice it.  Or don't have enough balls to say it how it is. 

There is no logical explanation to it, except that our climate is changing. 

actual radar presentation of hurricane andrew, as it's hitting Florida.  Perfect donut. 

andrewra.gif

1 hour ago, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

apparently you are. 

Enhanced IR satellite is not radar.

Lol... rest assured that Haiyan had a perfectly sound eyewall structure. Quit insisting that they don't make tropical cyclones like they used to, dagummit, just because the US hasn't had any particularly sexy landfalls lately.

FSgbSkO.png

National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
517 PM EDT THU AUG 3 2017

The National Weather Service in Mount Holly NJ has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  Southeastern Mercer County in central New Jersey...
  Northwestern Burlington County in southern New Jersey...
  Southeastern Bucks County in southeastern Pennsylvania...

* Until 915 PM EDT

* At 516 PM EDT...Doppler radar and automated rain gauges indicated
  thunderstorms producing heavy rain across the warned area. Up to
  two inches of rain have already fallen in a little over a half
  hour

On 8/3/2017 at 2:45 PM, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

apparently you are. 

Enhanced IR satellite is not radar.

Lol what does that even mean you expect there to be a radar site that just so happens to be in the middle of the ocean or near landfall at the expected location of the storm when at peak now that's being nit picky.

22 hours ago, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
517 PM EDT THU AUG 3 2017

The National Weather Service in Mount Holly NJ has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  Southeastern Mercer County in central New Jersey...
  Northwestern Burlington County in southern New Jersey...
  Southeastern Bucks County in southeastern Pennsylvania...

* Until 915 PM EDT

* At 516 PM EDT...Doppler radar and automated rain gauges indicated
  thunderstorms producing heavy rain across the warned area. Up to
  two inches of rain have already fallen in a little over a half
  hour

That happened like 2 weeks ago in harrisburg what's your point? A big reason why more and more of these reports are becoming available and known to us is well technology has made great leaps since the 60s and 70s . Through Internet and social media, information is more readily available to people then ever before. There more then likely still places that see immense rainfall rates or snow fall rates that just don't get out there it's not like it didn't happen before. Weren't the 60s and 70s fairly wet yers and snowy years(well 60s and early 70s for snowfall) around the pa area.

breaking news Yesterday.

With some New Orleans neighborhoods seeing 8 to 10 inches of rain in just a few hours Saturday (Aug. 5)

"The rate of rainfall in many neighborhoods of the city was one of the highest recorded in recent history,"

http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/08/saturdays_10-inch_rain_outstri.html

Lots of heavy rainfall events in the 1960s and 1970s:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floods_in_the_United_States:_1901–2000

A few years from now , 10 inches of rain per hour will be normal to people like you as well I assume.

21 hours ago, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

breaking news Yesterday.

With some New Orleans neighborhoods seeing 8 to 10 inches of rain in just a few hours Saturday (Aug. 5)

"The rate of rainfall in many neighborhoods of the city was one of the highest recorded in recent history,"

http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/08/saturdays_10-inch_rain_outstri.html

A few years from now , 10 inches of rain per hour will be normal to people like you as well I assume.

Mt question again is can you show this was not also normal 50 years ago?

• 3 weeks later...

you can't compare one-time only record breaking rainfall vs.  daily normal rainfall rates ...which we see everyday now. 

But you said they were unheard of, when they aren't. They probably are a little bit more common, but I don't think we're far enough along in the warming process for them to be commonplace.

Archived