• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
codfishsnowman

I get what what the cod man is saying. This report cherry picked a total that isn't just the highest one in the area, but so much of an anomaly that it is suspicious to say the least. While he has been guilty in the past of irrational jealousy of other's snow totals, I believe this has some merit. 

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Doesn't scoob live right near CEF? Maybe he could chime in on how much snow there was around there. The report does look a bit high to me based on other areas nearby, but I can't say for sure it's bad.

Measured a little over 14 here a mile or so as the crow flies from CEF. Springfield and West Springfield also reported 14. The 21.7 does seem high.

5 hours ago, codfishsnowman said:

somehow it made the local news, feel free to pm me if you really have a bone to pick with me

Are you seriously saying that the only reason the local TV station mentioned the local airports snow total was for ratings?  How about the fact that it's a local total and outside of BDL or BAF is more "official" than some guy measuring with a rubber ruler?

I don't understand your angle.  You question the total then say it was just for ratings.  If that's the case are you also suggesting that the two are colluding?

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

I get what what the cod man is saying. This report cherry picked a total that isn't just the highest one in the area, but so much of an anomaly that it is suspicious to say the least. While he has been guilty in the past of irrational jealousy of other's snow totals, I believe this has some merit. 

2 hours ago, scoob40 said:

Measured a little over 14 here a mile or so as the crow flies from CEF. Springfield and West Springfield also reported 14. The 21.7 does seem high.

I agree...the total does seem high.  That being said, he seems to be saying that the reason they reported it that high was so that a local station could get ratings.  That I question as well.

if I can chime in real quick, when I lived in Waterbury, I lived in the very southern most end, 1/8mile from Naugatuck line, and about a mile from Prospect line.And Waterbury was funny, as certain storms, I would get like 6", and just literally a 10 minutes walk SW towards Rt.68, they'd have like 10" or more, and even more up on Prospect hill...Now that I'm in the microclimate of winsted, I get 16" on that Thursday storm in February, and a mile away they got 20"... Norfolk, we all know is the highest elevated town center, averages about 20" a year more than me...Im right around 1000', but across the street, less than a quarter mile away, is like 1400' crazy. Plus little orographic nuances add to different totals not that far apart..

3 hours ago, tavwtby said:

if I can chime in real quick, when I lived in Waterbury, I lived in the very southern most end, 1/8mile from Naugatuck line, and about a mile from Prospect line.And Waterbury was funny, as certain storms, I would get like 6", and just literally a 10 minutes walk SW towards Rt.68, they'd have like 10" or more, and even more up on Prospect hill...Now that I'm in the microclimate of winsted, I get 16" on that Thursday storm in February, and a mile away they got 20"... Norfolk, we all know is the highest elevated town center, averages about 20" a year more than me...Im right around 1000', but across the street, less than a quarter mile away, is like 1400' crazy. Plus little orographic nuances add to different totals not that far apart..

I appreciate this post. I just must live in the worst part of town. All of these local guys who comment (not metherb bc he is in an obviously better location) live just a couple miles away as the crow flies but they almost always report 2-4 more than me in better size events and 1-2 more in small ones. In largest of events the difference has been over 6 inches!! If anything in good conscience I could revise my total for Tuesday down an inch further but the wind was crazy the snow was super heavy and icy/wet so there certainly was some settling and compaction from those forces alone.

The only times I get more than CEF is when it is a south passing system where the metro area is right on the line for accum snow as I am just over the ct border by a couple miles but they are a few miles farther north.

I don't know what oregraphic nuances make it so terrible here, I am a good 1-2 miles from downtown so it shouldn't be any kind of "heat island" effect. I just don't know why.

4 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

The ratings angle is pretty silly, really no way to sugar coat it.

no the media likes to brag and sensationalize everything including weather...and this was at an "official" location using a so called "official" method

the only local tv met around here I have any respect for is Brian Lapas, the rest of them.....esp the twinkie who reported that total in the clip...puhleeze!

Ryan from ch 30 in ct is good but he is a million miles away as far as sensible weather is concerned, I can say this bc I lived in Bristol CT for over 30 years and the difference between there and here over the past 14 is mind boggling as far as winter wx goes

5 hours ago, codfishsnowman said:

no the media likes to brag and sensationalize everything including weather...and this was at an "official" location using a so called "official" method

the only local tv met around here I have any respect for is Brian Lapas, the rest of them.....esp the twinkie who reported that total in the clip...puhleeze!

Ryan from ch 30 in ct is good but he is a million miles away as far as sensible weather is concerned, I can say this bc I lived in Bristol CT for over 30 years and the difference between there and here over the past 14 is mind boggling as far as winter wx goes

lol

45 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

if someone a couple miles away from you reported a foot more you'd probably do more than start a thread about it,btw how's this weekend looking pike south lookin?

looks like on life support to me

It looks like it's coming. CEF may not get a lot but south of Pike and 91 east can do pretty well imo.

I agree with codfishman, there is no way CEF was that high. That is the greater Springfield metro area in the valley, and therefore it is impossible for them to ever get more snow than any of the surrounding areas. Ever.

So the bogus snow total must be a shameless attention-grabbing stunt by the news organizations. Not unlike this thread.

Archived