Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Short/Medium Range Severe Thread

Hoosier

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

They pretty much only have them at NWS locations, right?  The only exception I can think of in this region is the one in Evansville.

NWS or military bases, like Dyess Air Force Base in Texas for example. I do believe though if needed they can add another, like in the case of Evansville.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Here is a map of the coverage areas, some big gaps in that area along with the southern part of the state

800px-WSR-88DCONUSCoverage1000.jpg

Cool map.  It would be nice to fill those gaps especially in the Plains/Midwest due to the higher severe thunderstorm frequency. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I hate being critical, but that's pretty bad to miss a tornado (no tornado warning) that was on the ground for 15 minutes.  Is that in that infamous radar hole?

Even with the radar hole it was clear the rotation was tight from DVN (when velocity wasn't down) and STL/LSX radar. I didn't mention this 2 minutes before it touched down for no reason.

Cell heading for Keokuk is looking interesting for a bit. Might be the lone cell to get a TW sometime soon.

21 minutes ago, Jonbo said:

Even with the radar hole it was clear the rotation was tight from DVN (when velocity wasn't down) and STL/LSX radar. I didn't mention this 2 minutes before it touched down for no reason.

Yeah I remember that, good call.

I think this case kind of shows how important spotters are in areas where radar coverage isn't the greatest.  They're important everywhere, but much more so in areas like what's mentioned above.

EDIT:  33 reports total yesterday.

20fc1ud.jpg

On 12/5/2017 at 6:15 PM, Stebo said:

Here is a map of the coverage areas, some big gaps in that area along with the southern part of the state

Instead of being where it is, KPOE needs to be further northeast. SW LA is oversaturated, and some notable big dogs in the Lower MS Valley (Tallulah, LA-Yazoo City, MS April 2010 and Clarksdale-Holly Springs, MS December 2015) have been undersampled early in their path on the far northwestern fringe of DGX's range or far southern fringe of NQA.

On 12/5/2017 at 6:15 PM, Stebo said:

That shows how bad the Northwoods needs a radar. Minocqua or over to Phillips would be the best position in that area as there is way too many people in that area during the summer for a lack of a radar.

Just now, Geoboy645 said:

That shows how bad the Northwoods needs a radar. Minocqua or over to Phillips would be the best position in that area as there is way too many people in that area during the summer for a lack of a radar.

Yeah not to mention that Marathon County gets hit so much and it is on the edge of a couple of radar beams.

On 12/5/2017 at 6:58 PM, Hoosier said:

I hate being critical, but that's pretty bad to miss a tornado (no tornado warning) that was on the ground for 15 minutes.  Is that in that infamous radar hole?

Interesting that you mentioned earlier that instability was only around 200 j/kg.  Really shows how kinematics can sometimes win out in tor formation particularly in these marginal conditions.

49 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Interesting that you mentioned earlier that instability was only around 200 j/kg.  Really shows how kinematics can sometimes win out in tor formation particularly in these marginal conditions.

Yeah, mesoanalysis didn't have more than 200-300 SBCAPE (though MLCAPE and MUCAPE were somewhat higher).  Really goes to show what high shear can do.

• 3 months later...

Archived