Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Which towns have the best fireworks for the 4th? No such thing as bad fireworks but a lot of the shows I've seen in recent years have been a little pedestrian.

Orange County has theirs in the 15th literally in my back yard here in the park. Friends who come to watch  them seem to like them but part of that could be the very up close view my yard provides. PM me if you like. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Threadin' the needle :o I had to run out and 1 mile north of my house it was pouring and that line moved east and missed us entirely, just a few drops. Now it's hammering Danbury and Ridgefield just east of me. It looks like the next blob will slide just south and get Westchester and miss me. That's alright, I'm over dealing with mud ;) 

On 6/29/2017 at 6:22 PM, IrishRob17 said:

Orange County has theirs in the 15th literally in my back yard here in the park. Friends who come to watch  them seem to like them but part of that could be the very up close view my yard provides. PM me if you like. 

Awesome, thanks! I may take you up on that. It's long past time I started meeting up with my friends here in person, in any case.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Hey Julian did you/are you getting hammered by storms this afternoon?

Really nothing special unfortunately. I dropped and shattered my rain gauge the other day (go me) so I'm not sure how much rain I got, but I'd guess something like half an inch.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Awesome, thanks! I may take you up on that. It's long past time I started meeting up with my friends here in person, in any case.

Sure. To be fair, the best over all photo ops may be from the hill with the crowd as you kind of look down or even with the fireworks. That said from my yard we've had ash and sparks rain upon us, it's an experience LOL

30 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I had a rotten tree fall and take out tthenpower and phone on the winds before the storms even got her. .67 in the gauge with the power restored but not the phone or water

Had two rounds here and that put 1.10 in the rain gauge.  The blue angles were practicing and the storms cut it short. Had them fly right over the house a few times. They were flying about 2 hours yesterday. 

49 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Sure. To be fair, the best over all photo ops may be from the hill with the crowd as you kind of look down or even with the fireworks. That said from my yard we've had ash and sparks rain upon us, it's an experience LOL

Being bombarded with smoldering debris is half the fun. :) I used to shoot some fireworks professionally with one of the local companies, and it only took a few burning embers down the back of the neck before I learned to wear a hoodie when standing at arm's length from a roaring 8" mortar. At one show, the fire commissioner called us off halfway through because the wind was carrying tons of hot crap toward the meat of the crowd. They really do make quite a mess.

We had a rotten tree come down too but not on my property and it managed to bounce off the power line for the street. I live on a dead end and it blocked the street right by the corner though and none of us that were home had a working chainsaw so the street stayed blocked for about 5 hours. As people got home from work and couldn't get onto the street they had to leave because there isn't any place to park on the cross street. We couldn't even get the town highway dept to come deal with it because they were already out of the office for the day so nobody was answering the phone. Finally a couple of us got out there with hand saws and dealt with it, took about 2 hours.

38 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Rain mostly missed us at the air show. 

Complete ****show though, those in charge should be hung by their nuts.

It's the New York Airshows show, complain to them, not Orange County although I'm sure the airshow will throw OC under the bus. I've been pulled into the meetings in the past but have been fortunate to stay directly out of it lately. 

On 7/1/2017 at 4:38 PM, IrishRob17 said:

All that said @BxEngine, what was the issue?

Busy weekend, sorry lol.

the show itself was great. But the parking/shuttle situation was a complete disaster. They had us park on the unused runway, which was basically within walking distance of where we had to go. But because we had to cross over a taxiway to get to it, they wanted everyone on shuttles instead (understandable). Because it was such a short ride (less than 2 minutes), they clearly didnt plan for enough buses, and to get on and off the shuttles had zero plan, direction, or help. We had to wait for over an hour just to get on the bus at the end of the show, fights broke out everywhere with people cutting the lines (they had no ropes or barriers set up to direct people at all, it was a free for all), pushing, etc. not to mention they told everyone to bring their own chairs. Now all of us carrying the chairs had to fight to get on these buses made for children.

Last year we had parked in preferred parking, way over on the western end of the airport runways. To walk out of the show to our car and drive home took a total of 90 minutes (including a few minute walk and the roughly 50 minute drive). This year it took us 2 hours just to get out of airport property.  

56 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Busy weekend, sorry lol.

the show itself was great. But the parking/shuttle situation was a complete disaster. They had us park on the unused runway, which was basically within walking distance of where we had to go. But because we had to cross over a taxiway to get to it, they wanted everyone on shuttles instead (understandable). Because it was such a short ride (less than 2 minutes), they clearly didnt plan for enough buses, and to get on and off the shuttles had zero plan, direction, or help. We had to wait for over an hour just to get on the bus at the end of the show, fights broke out everywhere with people cutting the lines (they had no ropes or barriers set up to direct people at all, it was a free for all), pushing, etc. not to mention they told everyone to bring their own chairs. Now all of us carrying the chairs had to fight to get on these buses made for children.

Last year we had parked in preferred parking, way over on the western end of the airport runways. To walk out of the show to our car and drive home took a total of 90 minutes (including a few minute walk and the roughly 50 minute drive). This year it took us 2 hours just to get out of airport property.  

Ouch!  I heard that yesterday EMS had its hand full with over 100 affected by the heat and humidity 

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Boy I tell ya, just getting a simple yes/no/most likely answer on the main forum is a pita :unsure: Thoughts on early tomorrows weather are dry or moistening up quickly? To me it looks good until early afternoon here and near sunset in eastern CT. Sound good?

I haven't seen any model show rain tomorrow morning

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Boy I tell ya, just getting a simple yes/no/most likely answer on the main forum is a pita :unsure: Thoughts on early tomorrows weather are dry or moistening up quickly? To me it looks good until early afternoon here and near sunset in eastern CT. Sound good?

I would say you're thinking too early by almost 12 hours... most models don't get rain into the HV in earnest until 4-6z Friday morning

Archived