• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Front End Thump Event 12-17 / 12-18

ChescoWx

18z NAM is certainly interesting. Has a surface LP reflection South of Cape May at 12z Saturday that heads ENE....keeps the cold locked in a bit longer. Nice jump in snowfall accums on the 12km NAM from a general 1-3" to a 2-5" over SE PA with more significant icing now than prior runs N and W burbs. Brief flip to plain rain where Im located before dryslotted with drizzle.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Tibet said:

Anyone willing to speak to potential ice... nws mt holly seems to have upped their projections and talk of "major icing event west of the city" in the nyc metro sub.

where did you see that quote from mt holly?  I see them stating some areas well to the north possibly getting to warning criteria of 2 tenths of an inch, but no discussion of "major" icing.  Their latest icing graphic shows minimal icing in most areas (less tan tenth of an inch.

ice.png

1 minute ago, hazwoper said:

where did you see that quote from mt holly?  I see them stating some areas well to the north possibly getting to warning criteria of 2 tenths of an inch, but no discussion of "major" icing.  Their latest icing graphic shows minimal icing in most areas (less tan tenth of an inch.

ice.png

Sorry I did a poor job of wording it.

To clarify.

1) NWS Mt Holly seems to have upped their projections

2) Talk of "major icing event west of the city" in the nyc metro sub.

Reminiscent of 1994. Cold air mass erosion under forecast. Not saying a repeat will happen but we do have the lowest December 500mb heights in the Northeast since 1948. Kind of unchartered territory. Im not calling for a crippling ice event, I just think the cold will win out a bit longer than many conservative outlets are suggesting.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Reminiscent of 1994. Cold air mass erosion under forecast. Not saying a repeat will happen but we do have the lowest December 500mb heights in the Northeast since 1948. Kind of unchartered territory. Im not calling for a crippling ice event, I just think the cold will win out a bit longer than many conservative outlets are suggesting.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

I remember as a kid how horrible those ice storms were. I had a bad one a couple years ago in 2014 in west chester pa, got about .5-.75 of ice, had now power for a week.

I know its so wrong of me, but I feel like major ice storms are so rare, I always hope to get another one. I would love to see a inch plus of ice.

8 minutes ago, soadforecaster said:

I remember as a kid how horrible those ice storms were. I had a bad one a couple years ago in 2014 in west chester pa, got about .5-.75 of ice, had now power for a week.

I know its so wrong of me, but I feel like major ice storms are so rare, I always hope to get another one. I would love to see a inch plus of ice.

no thanks

7 minutes ago, Tibet said:

Snow looks nice...  ice just sucks. Tree damage, power... plz no

I really don't see this being a major icing event with the higher rates that should occur after the layers aloft have warmed. 

Owing to the fact that freezing rain typically occurs in the presence of stable2 atmospheric conditions characterized by shallow subfreezing layers, the warming effects of the latent heat are often confined to these shallow layers and can quickly warm the layer to 0C, with subsequent precipitation running off. Thus, in the absence of a near-surface cooling mechanism, freezing rain is a self-limiting process; the heat released by freezing can eradicate the subfreezing layer (Stewart 1985)

The 2014 Ice event was the only thing close since 1994, once every 20 yrs is good, and honestly I don't care to see another Jan like 1994 ever again, that was just brutal ice, warm, more ice, cold, warm that then led to flooding -- folks lost a lot of property that year.

Although models changed again a bit today, there's still a dry slot in SE PA we should do fine  with this one.

I think his numbers make a lot of sense

Agreed. Glad he finally threw the ice threat in there tho.

I'm with you that this shouldnt be a major ice event in SE PA, I really dont see that scenario here. Heavier precip rates dont allow for much ice accretion, ie, latent heat release. However, take note of how guidance is now showing dryslotting and drizzle farther N and W. Drizzle and upper 20s for a period are perfect icing conditions for those areas in parts of the LV and Poconos. There will be a surprise tossed in somewhere "in the viewing area" irt icing tomorrow. Watch that weak slp popping up on short range and hi res guidance off of South Jersey since 6z and becoming more discernable with each run. Could be just enough of a wind flow shift to keep 2m temps around freezing for a bit longer in those borderline areas. Remember when guidance was saying change to rain by 6AM with heavy rain thru early afternoon? Things have definitely shifted away from that with a changeover in SE PA closer to 10AM and much of the precip having already moved out by then.

Difficult to decide if I want to pull an all nighter or get up early for the snow. Glenn made it more difficult saying there would be two parts to the snow with a lull in-between. I could see the best snow waiting until before the change to mix say 6-9am. Then again the best snow could be over at 7am. It's like the worst possible timing for a snow geek.

Archived