Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Name that storm

ORH_wxman

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Was going to guess late Apr 87, but it looks a little too cold in the northern plains for that. I don't think 540 thicknesses are making it down to ATL either.

Yeah not Apr '87. Hard (or maybe impossible without a supervolcano, lol) to get that much of the country in frozen thicknesses on 4/28.

I suck at this game...there were a few good storms In the winters I was at LSC that were rain at my house in Medway, but snow at Lyndon. Ithe would have been the winter of 96_97 or 97_98. Could be one from 96_97 since I would go to the common area to watch TWC in Wheelock, and I lived in Wheelock my freshman year.

16 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

I suck at this game...there were a few good storms In the winters I was at LSC that were rain at my house in Medway, but snow at Lyndon. Ithe would have been the winter of 96_97 or 97_98. Could be one from 96_97 since I would go to the common area to watch TWC in Wheelock, and I lived in Wheelock my freshman year.

Well since everyone else failed...you win by default for getting the correct winter.

It was the 2nd storm of the December 1996 1-2 punch that annihilated the interior.

Dec1996_2ndstorm.png

LOL, oh I remember that. I watched it live. I just mean it was a big tease and quite the disappointment locally. I never expected much, but when the RASN line collapsed so close to BOS...it became quite the tease.

However, part one sort of over-achieved and made it not so bittersweet. TSSN and +paste where I was.

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL, oh I remember that. I watched it live. I just mean it was a big tease and quite the disappointment locally. I never expected much, but when the RASN line collapsed so close to BOS...it became quite the tease.

However, part one sort of over-achieved and made it not so bittersweet. TSSN and +paste where I was.

Eh, at least you didn't miss out too much in part 2 close by...even when the R/S line collapsed for a time close to BOS, it didn't last and retreated all the way past 495 at the peak of it. I think even Ray's area only managed 3 or 4" of slop in part 2 before being largely rained on.

I remember literally one town over in Shrewsbury, MA had a crust on top of the snow the next day whereas we didn't...so I knew the R/S line briefly made it that far. Actually it may have been the ZR line, there was actually a very narrow zone of ZR that caused problems near and just W of 495...Hopkinton, MA had like a quarter inch of icing after about 6-7" of paste which caused a lot of power outages down in that area. Kind of weird in a storm that was mostly just rain or snow, but the one little narrow zone of ZR was kind of cool.

Part 1 though was awesome...totally busted forecast, even for ORH. We were supposed to get 1-3" of slop after starting as rain. We did start as rain as planned, but it very quickly went to all snow and we ended up with 10" of paste. Of course, in eastern MA they were expected to basically get zip...all rain...and instead they flipped and got 6-8" in many towns just west of BOS...even logan airport got 3-4" and thundersnow.

I was in HS in Taunton and it flipped to paste pretty quick. It took forever to stick but we had about 4" of paste when I left with two good cracks of thunder. I went north to Brockton to work at my day job and the snow started to dry out as it winded down. I think we had a good 6" at least there. It was quite the winter evening as it winded down with temps dropping and snow plastered to everything.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was in HS in Taunton and it flipped to paste pretty quick. It took forever to stick but we had about 4" of paste when I left with two good cracks of thunder. I went north to Brockton to work at my day job and the snow started to dry out as it winded down. I think we had a good 6" at least there. It was quite the winter evening as it winded down with temps dropping and snow plastered to everything.

Here was part 1...compact little nuke:

120615.gif

Archived