Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Arctic Sea Ice Extent, Area, and Volume

ORH_wxman

• 3 weeks later...

We spend all this time obsessing over the Arctic when in so far as climate change ramifications is a concern... it's the other one that's the biggest problem. 

https://phys.org/news/2024-03-scientists-fret-antarctic-sea-ice.html

But... I don't really think a lot of the Arctic focus in here is really about climate change per se.  More about preserving chances for cold and snow in people's winters, and having connected that to the state of north pole. Call me a 'motivational cynic' -

• 3 weeks later...

Probably a bit too early to know for sure but there does seem to be some see-sawing situation between the poles. Will be interesting to watch it over the next 5 years.

Thickness levels I don't think can recover meaningfully going forward but we shall what happens with extent (not that this is all too important in the long run).

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 9:37 AM, Typhoon Tip said:

The satellites that measured the ice from say 79-90 vs the 1000s more we have today, do you think that makes a difference at all?  They are probably way more precise today with many more doing calculations than the handful we had 40 years ago.  I wonder if we were to use 1980 tech to measure today what that would have come up with.