joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
se WI/ne IL/nw IN/se MI lake effect snow event

Hoosier

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro is the 800lb gorilla in the room right now. The NAM and GFS clearly support 6+ for the area but with the King showing almost nothing, skepticism reigns supreme.

Nah I would not follow that crap. Just lets hope the GFS pans out.

I expect WSW to rolling in NE IL by Friday. That is if the wetter NAM and wet GFS trend continues.

The Euro is the 800lb gorilla in the room right now. The NAM and GFS clearly support 6+ for the area but with the King showing almost nothing, skepticism reigns supreme.

Understandable, but the Euro qpf has had some problems lately at least around LAF. You'd at least want to see a little bit of a wetter trend though on the 00z run even if it doesn't go all the way.

true and this thread is morphing into a storm thread. Most of the good QPF for NE Illinois on the GFS and NAM is synoptic and we should try to talk about that in the main thread.

Skilling blog tonight doesent go depth with the LES but talks about the ingredients for LES this weekend in his map.

http://blog.chicagoweathercenter.com/

Givven a more wetter sypnotic event and LES potential 6+ is my call for mainly NE IL. Factor in those ratios. Will probably be alot higher than 10:1 for periods of time.

My guess is will see solid periods of light to moderate lake snows for a good 2 days Sat-Sun which will def add several inches to the potential 2-5 inch sypnotic snows.

Skilling:

Despite storm's southern track, winds to its the north are to run the length of Lake Michigan into Chicago raising the potential for lake-effect snows

Snowfalls in Chicago are often the product of a period of "system snow"--snowfall generated by the low pressure itself--and a period of "lake snow"--snow which falls as cold winds blow across warmer lake waters. The system headed this way for the holiday weekend appears likely to follow that model.

While light "system snow" is to spread into Chicago by Friday afternoon and continue into Friday evening, depositing perhaps 1 to 3 inches, lake snows, confined primarily to lakeside counties of Illinois, Wisconsin and northwest Indiana, may keep bursts of snowfall going in those areas much of the holiday weekend.

Lake snows finicky, hitting in waves and accumulating unevenly in mainly lakeside counties

Snow accumulations--notoriously varied in lake-snow events--may continue to grow in areas close to the lake Saturday and Sunday. But the distribution of this snow and precise totals are difficult to pinpoint this far ahead of the system's arrival.

Givven a more wetter sypnotic event and LES potential 6+ is my call for mainly NE IL. Factor in those ratios. Will probably be alot higher than 10:1 for periods of time.

My guess is will see solid periods of light to moderate lake snows for a good 2 days Sat-Sun which will def add several inches to the potential 2-5 inch sypnotic snows.

Skilling:

I wouldn't make calls just yet, give it till the 12z runs tomorrow to see what they do, atleast thats what I'm going to do.

0z...

MKE:

ECMWF: 0.14"

GFS: 0.35"

NAM: 0.08"

GGEM: 0.10-0.25"

UGN:

ECMWF: 0.27"

GFS: 0.40"

NAM: 0.13"

GGEM: 0.10-0.25"

ORD: