• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE Weenies on Twitter

TalcottWx

there are so many asswipes in this world.I understand your point, I watched a pro on CBS news from LA the other day and cringed at his El Nino references. I just see way too much attention to meh social media pages while ignoring Pros who actually have impact. Doubtful anyone has been impacted by a ten day weenie map

I was taught very early on in the NWS that nobody has ever died on day 7. Meaning that a poor forecast can always be updated, and the goal is ultimately nail the short term when impacts matter.

However, I would say those day 10 maps that are tossed about as gospel may not impact anyone per se, but I think lead to a gradual eroding of confidence.

Listen, our job is one that has always led to criticism for being wrong 50% of the time and still getting paid, and people always feel they are qualified to tell us what the weather is going to be. But as data has become more readily accessible to the general public (not just the knowledgeable enthusiasts) it's been harder to put a consistent forecast out there and the criticism has probably grown. Social media access to mets plays a part in that too, but those day 10 maps become a "snowstorm next weekend," which becomes "those idiots said it would snow today," which becomes "I'm not listening to another hyped up snow forecast next time," which becomes a traffic nightmare or an "it came out of nowhere" event when it actually is forecast next time.

I was taught very early on in the NWS that nobody has ever died on day 7. Meaning that a poor forecast can always be updated, and the goal is ultimately nail the short term when impacts matter.

However, I would say those day 10 maps that are tossed about as gospel may not impact anyone per se, but I think lead to a gradual eroding of confidence.

Listen, our job is one that has always led to criticism for being wrong 50% of the time and still getting paid, and people always feel they are qualified to tell us what the weather is going to be. But as data has become more readily accessible to the general public (not just the knowledgeable enthusiasts) it's been harder to put a consistent forecast out there and the criticism has probably grown. Social media access to mets plays a part in that too, but those day 10 maps become a "snowstorm next weekend," which becomes "those idiots said it would snow today," which becomes "I'm not listening to another hyped up snow forecast next time," which becomes a traffic nightmare or an "it came out of nowhere" event when it actually is forecast next time.

point being its not the weenies who the ire of pros should be pointed at.

point being its not the weenies who the ire of pros should be pointed at.

Well there are some weenies that take it overboard too. You can put a forecast out there and still get tweet, messages, questions pouring in about the weather at day 7 and beyond.

Maybe the best way I can describe it is the general public doesn't know what they're looking at, but the weenies think we're hiding something from them.

I'm sure Ryan has some stories, but personally we've had a few "conspiracy theory" accusations that we're leaving information out of the forecast to because of external pressure or for someone's benefit. I've always found that funny, because one of my favorite parts of my job is that I've never been told what to forecast. I can just put what I believe out there.

Well there are some weenies that take it overboard too. You can put a forecast out there and still get tweet, messages, questions pouring in about the weather at day 7 and beyond.

Maybe the best way I can describe it is the general public doesn't know what they're looking at, but the weenies think we're hiding something from them.

I'm sure Ryan has some stories, but personally we've had a few "conspiracy theory" accusations that we're leaving information out of the forecast to because of external pressure or for someone's benefit. I've always found that funny, because one of my favorite parts of my job is that I've never been told what to forecast. I can just put what I believe out there.

true but I am pretty much of the opinion that people have said for centuries " I heard a big storm is coming" instead of word of mouth its SM. Nothing has changed other than speed. Now instead of Uncle Joe or Jeradiah saying it, its little cousin Ralphie on SM. Remember they hung wxmen in effigy back in the day.

true but I am pretty much of the opinion that people have said for centuries " I heard a big storm is coming" instead of word of mouth its SM. Nothing has changed other than speed. Now instead of Uncle Joe or Jeradiah saying it, its little cousin Ralphie on SM. Remember they hung wxmen in effigy back in the day.

You really think so? I mean unless the TV or radio met said it back in the day, how was one to know?

Now anybody can grab an AccuWeather 45 day or rip and read the 360 hour GFS.

Archived