Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Low topped thunderstorm potential 1/10/16

weatherwiz

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure about a SVR, but some of the mesos like thunder to the NH border even.

It actually looks like the "best" instability arrives right along with the nose of the MLJ.  Typically I feel like sometimes the two arrive out of sync so hopefully the models are correct with this.  

I'm not too high on any big wind gusts tomorrow.  I think perhaps the south coast may have a chance for a warning or so if any cores are decent enough given the winds aloft.  I'm going to look at some bufkit soundings but looking at cod the GFS had a 100 J/KG contour of SBcape pushing through which wouldn't be too shabby.  

I think highest gusts we would see would be in the 40-50 mph range...very small shot at a 50-60 mph gust

It actually looks like the "best" instability arrives right along with the nose of the MLJ.  Typically I feel like sometimes the two arrive out of sync so hopefully the models are correct with this.  

I'm not too high on any big wind gusts tomorrow.  I think perhaps the south coast may have a chance for a warning or so if any cores are decent enough given the winds aloft.  I'm going to look at some bufkit soundings but looking at cod the GFS had a 100 J/KG contour of SBcape pushing through which wouldn't be too shabby.  

I think highest gusts we would see would be in the 40-50 mph range...very small shot at a 50-60 mph gust

I'll say, looks like BTV will have some decent wind reports with the SE downslope winds. That's a pretty large area of modeled ensemble mean 50 knotters.

I'll say, looks like BTV will have some decent wind reports with the SE downslope winds. That's a pretty large area of modeled ensemble mean 50 knotters.

Its a pretty interesting setup for January only b/c of the warm sector involved.  It can be real tough to get those 50's temps/dews to advect far into the region this time of year.  PWATS of just over 1'' are pretty crazy too

I mean this is a true low LLJ (NAM Bufkit 60 knots at 2200 feet), so if any set up could squeeze it out this would be it.

Yeah the orographics look to be enhanced both upslope and downslope with this one.  I think there's going to be some good winds in the downslope regions.  The Vermont spots that are favored will do quite well.

I don't hear about it much in NH, but you guys must high high-wind warning in these set-ups downslope of the Whites, no?  Or is it not as concentrated being a cluster of mountains as opposed to a Spine where you can really get the pressure to build up between the CAD on the east side and warmth on the west side.

Yeah the orographics look to be enhanced both upslope and downslope with this one.  I think there's going to be some good winds in the downslope regions.  The Vermont spots that are favored will do quite well.

I don't hear about it much in NH, but you guys must high high-wind warning in these set-ups downslope of the Whites, no?  Or is it not as concentrated being a cluster of mountains as opposed to a Spine where you can really get the pressure to build up between the CAD on the east side and warmth on the west side.

Oh I think we do, I just don't know how much we hear about it. I definitely don't think it's as pronounced as the Greens, but I think it happens, maybe even as far south as Sullivan County, NH. I wouldn't be surprised if the Eastern Townships had a decent history of downslope windstorms too.

Looks like a robust low-level jet will rake coastal/Downeast Maine Sunday night. Some guidance, including 12z Euro, suggesting 10m winds could gust to 70 mph. I wouldn't be surprised if wording in the high wind and storm warnings is ramped up with later packages. Anyway, solid agreement with the models showing an 80+ knot LLJ impacting the area.

post-533-0-08419600-1452368505_thumb.gif

Oh I think we do, I just don't know how much we hear about it. I definitely don't think it's as pronounced as the Greens, but I think it happens, maybe even as far south as Sullivan County, NH. I wouldn't be surprised if the Eastern Townships had a decent history of downslope windstorms too.

Yeah true, the western slopes here are like Burlington suburbs, where as in your CWA it certainly isn't suburbs, haha. 

I just also noticed looking at that RGEM map I posted, how it has like 4" of QPF and then mere miles NW of that its showing under a half inch.  That's quite the gradient.

Archived