• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

On the flip side, some impressive cold air is present in the arctic.  Several sites in AK are running below normal for the month.  Check out this forecast for Arctic Village. Maybe this will stem some of the runaway torching that we constantly hear about in the far north... :whistle:

Today
Mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Highs 10 to 25 below. Variable winds less than 15 mph.
Tonight
Partly cloudy. Lows 25 to 40 below. Variable winds less than 15 mph.
Friday
Partly cloudy. Highs 10 to 25 below. Variable winds less than 15 mph.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy. Lows 20 to 30 below. Variable winds less than 15 mph.
Saturday
Partly cloudy. Highs zero to 6 below. Variable winds less than 15 mph.
Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy. Lows around 25 below.
Sunday And Sunday Night
Partly cloudy. Highs around 5 below. Lows 15 to 25 below.
Monday
Mostly cloudy. Highs around 5 above.
Monday Night And Tuesday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. Lows around 10 below. Highs around 5 above.
Tuesday Night
Cloudy with a chance of snow. Lows around 10 below.
Wednesday
Mostly cloudy. Highs around 5 above. 

:sizzle:

12357240_1161770030519350_37978204651432

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome pics. Here is one of me at my grandmas house in the city with some of my family in 2001. I remember hitting my head on the wires from the snow banks in this one. ^_^ 1995, 2000, and 2001 Lake Effect Snow events cemented my love for snow. 95 being the main one that got my addicted to the weather. I jumped off the 2nd story window into a giant snowbank with my uncle as an 8 year old kid, great times!

10856447_870941149595222_658148480225182

:popcorn:

UCiZ8Yl.png

THE PATTERN THEN LOOKS TO BRIEFLY TURN COLDER LATER NEXT WEEK. THIS

MAY EVEN BRING POTENTIAL FOR SOME SNOW AS A SHOT OF CENTRAL CANADIAN

AIR MAY BUILD SOUTH ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES ON THE BACK SIDE OF A

MID LEVEL TROUGH CROSSING OUT REGION. 850MB TEMPERATURES PUSHING

BACK TO 10 TO 15C BELOW CAN SUPPORT A RISK OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW. THE

12/00Z GFS BUFKIT PROFILE FOR BUFFALO SHOWS LAKE INDUCED EQUILIBRIUM

LEVELS RISING OVER 15KFT WITH A NICE CROSS HAIR SIGNATURE INDICATING

FAVORABLE SNOW GROWTH. TEMPERATURES BY NEXT WEEKEND WILL FINALLY BE

WITHIN A FEW DEGREES OF NORMAL FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR.

What do you guys think. Do you think December 2015 will overtake December 1923 to become the warmest on record for Buffalo?

We're at +9.2 so far and that will likely go up over 10 with today and tomorrow. There is a brief cooldown but than gets warm again. So I say we have a good chance at breaking it. Average temperature in December is 30.1 for the month so right now we are at 39.3, the record is 37.3 for the entire month.

All pre 1940 records are tough to get a judge on since they were taking literally on the lake shore which usually is warmer than anywhere else in WNY in November and December months. So those records are literally severely flawed. It would be insanely impressive to beat that 1923 record seeing as though the records are taken inland away from the lake now. There is not a huge correlation between warmest Dec and least snowy Decs only 2 appear on the list in 1889 and 1891 which were both on the lakeshore which again receives less snow than KBUF does. And then we have 2001 which had a record warm Dec. and then 7 feet on x-mas week. And then in 2006 we had lake Erie stay warm really late in the year which led to the 2007 event with 40+ inches south of Buffalo. Like everyone says, it only takes 1 event when the lake is this warm.

Always great reading on the NE and also the NYC forum from the long range gurus. If the CFS weeklies are to be believed, perhaps January will be a month where the first few weeks are an inferno, followed by a more sustained pattern change to seasonable cold. There is support for the late December into January period to be a torch based on the end of run on the latest GEFS and last night's Canadian ensemble.

One of the analogs used by a poster on the NE forum is 06-07, which had a December very similar to this one and a very cold February (also top 10 snowiest in Chicago). I'd be surprised if February is as cold as that one was, but the idea of at least a seasonably cold February is reasonable. The raging PV does need to be broken down for it to happen though.

Monday
Showers, mainly after 2pm. High near 70. South wind 6 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Chance at 70 tomorrow. Which would break the record at KBUF by 6 degrees. lol

The all time record Dec high is 74 in 1982, another record El Nino. It all makes sense.

Even this guy can't shake up this pattern, this is when you know it's bad.

Stunning from above, an absolute beast below the clouds!
This Aleutian low has a central pressure at 924 mb, producing gusts to 155 mph, waves over 45 feet. Unreal!

This storm comes just over a year after ex-Super Typhoon Nuri broke a record as strongest storm to cross Dutch Harbor, Alaska. That storm had a central pressure of 924 mb.

12391863_940595419309064_581012751667158

Archived