• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

Grats on the snow fellas! The Leafs are changing quickly. Letchworth state park.

FRgX0mi.jpg

Nice pic. I should really visit more often, I live 5 miles from the park and I've been there once this year. Just had a burst of snow here in Nunda with decent sized flakes. Enough to coat the ground. Came at the right time cause the Bills are frustrating to watch. Enjoy the snow everyone!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bad for such an early season event, especially the totals off Lake Ontario. It's not like those accumulations were on the Tug, I believe Parish and Mexico are both below 500 ft in elevation. Pretty impressed with Randolph's 6" total off Lake Erie. Not bad at all. It looked like they were getting pounded all day. Too bad it'll all be a distant memory by Tuesday.

Not bad for such an early season event, especially the totals off Lake Ontario. It's not like those accumulations were on the Tug, I believe Parish and Mexico are both below 500 ft in elevation. Pretty impressed with Randolph's 6" total off Lake Erie. Not bad at all. It looked like they were getting pounded all day. Too bad it'll all be a distant memory by Tuesday.

Yeah really. Not bad at all off both lakes for an early season event. Tom Niziol facebook post: :lmao:

I know it is WAY early in the forecast but one computer model is suggesting another very cold outbreak across the Great Lakes at the end of next week and the outside chance of some significant lake-effect snow south of Buffalo. Here is the ECMWF model run for next Friday.

Now the geek stuff...This cold outbreak for the end of next week could very well be a result of the track of a Pacific typhoon this week !! Research has shown that there is a connection between recurving Western Pacific typhoons as they transition to extra-tropical and the release of energy into high latitudes of the North Pacific. The downstream effect is to generate deep troughs over the Gulf of Alaska, a ridge over western N. America and a trough over the eastern U.S. Stay tuned !!!

12115608_831379896975369_345640209575543

Been really busy but forgot to post the video of my first snow last week on Sunday.

Was also doing some research and over the last 15 years since 2000 KBUF has averaged 100.5" of snow per season with 10 out of 15 years receiving more than 100" of snow. I thought that was quite high despite the 2 seasons where we got 36" and 58".

A chance at some lake effect rain/snow thurs night/fri morning.

STRONG COLD ADVECTION WITHIN THE DEEP CYCLONIC FLOW WILL SET
UP MULTIPLE BANDS OF LAKE EFFECT RAIN. LIKELY POPS WILL REMAIN IN
PLACE FOR THESE BANDS OF SHOWERS. THESE SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE
THURSDAY EAST OF THE LAKES... WITH TEMPERATURES BECOMING COOL ENOUGH
OVERNIGHT TO SUPPORT SOME SNOW ESPECIALLY OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF
THE TUG/SOUTHERN TIER IN LOCATIONS AWAY FROM THE IMMEDIATE LAKE
SHORE. HAVE INCLUDED RAIN/SNOW WORDING... BUT CHANCES ARE THAT
DYNAMICAL COOLING IN THE HEAVIEST BANDS WOULD FORCE THE P-TYPE OVER
TO ALL SNOW BY EARLY FRIDAY MORNING.

Who is ready for some power outages?

I love wind storms and this looks to be quite a serious one.

..HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 4 PM EDTWEDNESDAY...* LOCATIONS...ALONG THE CHAUTAUQUA RIDGE AND LAKE ERIE SHORE  LINE IN WESTERN CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY AND SOUTHWESTERN ERIE COUNTY.* TIMING...EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY  AFTERNOON.* WINDS...SOUTHEAST 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 70 MPH.* IMPACTS...STRONG WINDS WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS FOR HIGH  PROFILE VEHICLES. THE NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY IS VULNERABLE TO  SOUTHEASTERLY CROSS WINDS OF THIS MAGNITUDE. ALSO...TREES WITH  ANY LEAVES REMAINING CAN BE MORE EASILY BE TOPPLED WHICH MAY  CAUSE POWER OUTAGES.

LOCATION MAX WIND TIME/DATE COMMENTS
GUST OF
MPH MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY...
DUNKIRK 60 800 AM 10/29 BUOY
4 NNW FREDONIA 54 300 PM 10/29 MARITIME

...ERIE COUNTY...
BUFFALO 61 818 AM 10/29 COAST GUARD
BUFFALO AIRPORT 59 953 AM 10/29 ASOS
1 WSW BUFFALO 53 924 AM 10/29 NWLON

...JEFFERSON COUNTY...
FORT DRUM AIRFIELD 53 1058 AM 10/29 AWOS
WATERTOWN AIRPORT 51 1000 AM 10/29 ASOS

...MONROE COUNTY...
WEBSTER 57 415 PM 10/29 CWOP

NEW YORK

...ALLEGANY COUNTY...
WELLSVILLE MUNICIPAL 41 935 AM 10/28 ASOS

...CATTARAUGUS COUNTY...
OLEAN AIRPORT 32 955 AM 10/28 AWOS
4 W CUBA 31 1258 PM 10/28 SAI

...CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY...
DUNKIRK AIRPORT 62 1153 AM 10/28 ASOS
4 NNW FREDONIA 48 1100 AM 10/28 MARITIME
JAMESTOWN AIRPORT 32 955 AM 10/28 AWOS

...ERIE COUNTY...
BUFFALO AIRPORT 46 154 PM 10/28 ASOS
1 WNW ELMA CENTER 43 113 PM 10/28 CWOP
1 WSW BUFFALO 40 1218 PM 10/28 NWLON
1 NW YORKSHIRE 33 1215 PM 10/28 CWOP
2 S LANCASTER 32 1215 PM 10/28 CWOP

...JEFFERSON COUNTY...
FORT DRUM AIRFIELD 69 357 PM 10/28 ASOS
6 SE WATERTOWN 55 201 PM 10/28 CWOP
WATERTOWN AIRPORT 33 415 PM 10/28 ASOS

...LEWIS COUNTY...
3 NNE COPENHAGEN 46 227 PM 10/28 CWOP
6 S COPENHAGEN 35 108 PM 10/28 CWOP

...LIVINGSTON COUNTY...
DANSVILLE MUNICIPAL 35 354 PM 10/28 ASOS
4 WNW LIVONIA 34 205 PM 10/28 CWOP
5 SSE LIVONIA 34 107 PM 10/28 CWOP

...MONROE COUNTY...
1 ENE FAIRPORT 36 1213 PM 10/28 CWOP
ROCHESTER AIRPORT 35 1139 AM 10/28 ASOS

...ONTARIO COUNTY...
2 WNW CANANDAIGUA 37 158 PM 10/28 SAI
4 WSW VINE VALLEY 33 111 PM 10/28 CWOP

...OSWEGO COUNTY...
OSWEGO 37 224 PM 10/28 NWLON
OSWEGO COUNTY AIRPOR 35 1254 PM 10/28 ASOS

...WYOMING COUNTY...
6 W PIKE 36 116 PM 10/28 CWOP

usa-temps1.png

That is quite a bit colder than I was expecting for this area as a whole. My winter forecast for KBUF is +1 overall for the winter and 95" on the seasonal snowfall total. I was really close last year in both temp and snowfall as I was predicting 105" for KBUF and temps running 1-3 degrees below normal. One thing is for sure is that lake Erie is going to be running way warmer than normal a week from now.

November is one of the biggest transition months for our area and can feature near summer like conditions or 8 feet of snow. The average high varies quite a bit from the beginning to end of November. It looks like the first week of the month will be much warmer than normal. The extended gets kind of blurry.

BUF Average:

Nov 1st

High: 53.3

Low:  38.1

Nov 30th

High: 41.5

Low:  29.2

For the next week:

Monday

Mostly sunny, with a high near 63. Southwest wind around 6 mph.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 71. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 74.
Thursday
Partly sunny, with a high near 70.
Friday
Cloudy, with a high near 63.
Saturday
Partly sunny, with a high near 50.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 47.

Well this would suck: http://www.syracuse.com/weather/index.ssf/2015/11/climate_change_lake_effect_snow_buffalo_syracuse_erie_ontario.html#comments

And link to full study: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joc.4488/abstract 

I don't have time to read through the full study, but quotes like this, "The snowfall that was lake effect snow will become lake effect rain events as you go out 85 years from now."  Make me go  :facepalm:

Just so I understand correctly, those arctic sourced cold fronts that come through the NE in 85 years in the dead of winter will drop temps down no lower than 33 degrees.  Meaning a January 2095 forecast will look something like this: Increasing clouds with thunderstorms developing in the afternoon along an arctic cold front.  Early high of 65, with temperatures nose diving to 35 by evening.  Bands of heavy lake effect rain developing overnight on SW winds.  Total rainfall at KBUF of 2-3 inches.  

Sure...

Well this would suck: http://www.syracuse.com/weather/index.ssf/2015/11/climate_change_lake_effect_snow_buffalo_syracuse_erie_ontario.html#comments

And link to full study: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joc.4488/abstract 

I don't have time to read through the full study, but quotes like this, "The snowfall that was lake effect snow will become lake effect rain events as you go out 85 years from now."  Make me go  :facepalm:

Just so I understand correctly, those arctic sourced cold fronts that come through the NE in 85 years in the dead of winter will drop temps down no lower than 33 degrees.  Meaning a January 2095 forecast will look something like this: Increasing clouds with thunderstorms developing in the afternoon along an arctic cold front.  Early high of 65, with temperatures nose diving to 35 by evening.  Bands of heavy lake effect rain developing overnight on SW winds.  Total rainfall at KBUF of 2-3 inches.  

Sure...

Ask him to explain how we had the coldest month in history by a significant margin for our entire sub-forum in February if that's the case. That should not have happened if what he states would be true. Either way, will all be dead by then anyways. ^_^

One week from today marks the anniversary of the Snowvember storm. I'm putting together a nice slideshow on Youtube of the best pictures,radar data, loops, etc... of the storm. Should be done in a few days if not sooner.

Nice, will look forward to that.  I noticed a new hardcover book for sale in Wegmans chronicling the storm.  Wrapped in plastic, so I couldn't tell if it's more fluff than substance.  Bit pricey too - $40...

Nice, will look forward to that.  I noticed a new hardcover book for sale in Wegmans chronicling the storm.  Wrapped in plastic, so I couldn't tell if it's more fluff than substance.  Bit pricey too - $40...

Yeah I saw that too. I might have to purchase even though its quite pricey. It's a storm you tell your kids and grandkids about for sure. Once in a lifetime.

It will probably be a little to warm to see much if any accumulation here, but a good chance to see some flakes Fri/sat..

Kbuf

LAKE-ENHANCED PRECIPITATION WILL SHIFT SOUTH FRIDAY EVENING AS THE

FLOW VEERS TO THE WEST-NORTHWEST BEHIND THE SHORTWAVE. THE POTENTIAL

FOR MIXED PRECIPITATION OR EVEN SNOW WILL BE MORE WIDESPREAD AS 850

MB TEMPS FALL TO AROUND -6C WITH LOWS FALLING INTO THE LOW TO MID

30S. AT THIS POINT...IT APPEARS THAT ANY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS SHOULD

BE ELEVATION-DEPENDENT WITH AN INCH OR SO OF WET SNOW ACROSS THE

HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE SOUTHERN TIER AND SOUTHEAST OF LAKE ONTARIO

IT IS NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION THAT LOCALIZED AREAS COULD SEE SEVERAL

INCHES OF SNOW. WILL HAVE TO MONITOR THIS TIME FRAME FOR A POSSIBLE

SNEAKY MODERATE SNOW EVENT.

It will probably be a little to warm to see much if any accumulation here, but a good chance to see some flakes Fri/sat..

Kbuf

LAKE-ENHANCED PRECIPITATION WILL SHIFT SOUTH FRIDAY EVENING AS THE

FLOW VEERS TO THE WEST-NORTHWEST BEHIND THE SHORTWAVE. THE POTENTIAL

FOR MIXED PRECIPITATION OR EVEN SNOW WILL BE MORE WIDESPREAD AS 850

MB TEMPS FALL TO AROUND -6C WITH LOWS FALLING INTO THE LOW TO MID

30S. AT THIS POINT...IT APPEARS THAT ANY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS SHOULD

BE ELEVATION-DEPENDENT WITH AN INCH OR SO OF WET SNOW ACROSS THE

HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE SOUTHERN TIER AND SOUTHEAST OF LAKE ONTARIO

IT IS NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION THAT LOCALIZED AREAS COULD SEE SEVERAL

INCHES OF SNOW. WILL HAVE TO MONITOR THIS TIME FRAME FOR A POSSIBLE

SNEAKY MODERATE SNOW EVENT.

Could definitely see a few inches in higher terrain off both lakes.

Archived