joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2015-16

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

62/43/20

Given recent trends, went warmer with the high than my initial thinking and assuming clouds don't get in the way, they should have no problem getting above 60. The low is a bit of a wild card (06z FRI), as I was tempted to go a touch warmer, but decided to hold off given the thermal profile. (if they radiate, they'll fall quick) Could have gone higher on winds too, but the pressure gradient looks a bit less steep than it was today. A moderate confidence forecast and hopefully a shot at redemption after busting badly on today's high.

64/42/20

Another interesting forecast at BKW. I was tempted to go lower on the high but upon further inspection, 850s are progged to be about 2C cooler than today. Assuming lapse rates are a bit less steep but still fairly close to where they were today (which was actually around 12C/km to 850 mb) then they should reach 63 or 64. I just couldn't find a physical reason why they would get to 54 at noon as the USL showed but then only go up three more degrees the rest of the day under full sun and what looked to be pretty weak CAA. The low looks like it will be at 06z tomorrow as I figure they have a chance to tank quickly with lighter winds and a cooler air mass than tonight. Went a little lower on winds than today because it looked, as Quincy mentioned, that they wouldn't have quite the same gradient as today.

60/37/16

Hoping for a strong finish on the last day. It only took me like 6-7 days to figure this place out... The only somewhat questionable thing may be the low tonight. If winds go light and they decouple, temperatures could go a bit lower, as they briefly did this morning. Went a little high on the winds given how the past couple of days have verified.

60/35/15

Looks like 850s will be about 1C cooler than today so hence the high of 60F. Wasn't too sure about the low, look like they'll be on the edge of a cirrus shield for a good part of the night but it looked like they should be clear in the pre-dawn hours say 3 or 4 to 7 am I think that's when they'll have a really good chance to get into the mid 30's or maybe even a little lower with dews in the mid 20's. The winds looked to be about 17 kts at the top of the BL so I figured they should mix about 90% of that.

59/36/17/0.00. 

With today's 23kt winds, I am 2.3 and 2.4 points behind first/second place. The two people ahead of me have the following: 

60/38/16/0.00

62/35/16/0.00

Its possible for me to beat either with a perfect max/min forecast, but overall if the high temperature is 59F or lower, I think I can manage a trophy regardless. In a perfect world, tomorrow could be the city I win back to back cities in Cat4, but it's a longshot at this point. 

We're about 2F cooler than yesterday at this point. This will come down to the wire... a 59F or lower high will give me a trophy, combine it with 17kt + winds and I could win Cat 4 outright. Hopefully there's no 60F max!

There were quite a few more convective clouds already forming this time yesterday. On top of that, the weaker winds today may help the surface go a little super-adiabatic. I'm definitely not convinced of my 62 today (though I also haven't ruled it out)... but I do think the high will be 60-62. If so, hopefully you can get your 17kts so that you can at least get a trophy!

There were quite a few more convective clouds already forming this time yesterday. On top of that, the weaker winds today may help the surface go a little super-adiabatic. I'm definitely not convinced of my 62 today (though I also haven't ruled it out)... but I do think the high will be 60-62. If so, hopefully you can get your 17kts so that you can at least get a trophy!

At this time, I'm thinking 60F is the most likely high (45%), followed by 61F (25%), 59 (20%), and 62 (10%).

EDIT: Hrm, I was not expecting 58F again this hour. Well now my odds are changed. 40% each to 59F and 60F, 10% to 58F, and 10% to 61F.

Archived