Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2015-16

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming today's high was 65F or less, and the precip will be 0.10" or more, I will need to gain about 3.8 points (not standard deviations, but just points) on the current third place category 2 forecaster over the last two days to pull ahead of him. So, just 4 degrees or 8 kts would do it.

67/50/34/0.75

Tough forecast coming up, as virtually any area could bust in either direction. The only thing that probably won't bust low is the high temperature, as I almost wanted to go higher, but am not sure about clouds/precip. With a strong LLJ, leaned high on winds and with convective precip, swayed a bit on the higher side too. Don't have much to lose at this point.

69/49/35/0.57". 

They just managed to hit 31kts off a shower, and winds should be pretty strong tomorrow. If they can get in an actual thunderstorm, I'm fairly confident they'll hit 35-40kts. 

Everything else is a giant question mark. There should be a pretty solid window between WAA rain during the afternoon tomorrow. Can't imagine they stay fully overcast the entire time, and any breaks during peak heating should get them to near 70 if not higher. Cold front will come through right before 6z, and I felt pretty confident around 49F, although I could see lower. Precip is just kind of a guess. Most rain tonight will fall before 6z (I think, but who knows), but they'll probably have a few tenths by late morning. Any convection should drop a quick quarter inch or more, but those can be hit or miss. 

Perhaps I shouldn't have been so aggressive on Day 7 the last city, but I feel alright about it.

70/46/31/0.57

The Euro showed them clearing out during the late afternoon so definitely feel 70 is achievable with 900 mb temps around 11.5C. Went cold on the low with CAA beginning around 03z according to GFS MOS although NAM is later with the wind shift so I'm not feeling that confident but decided to take a risk after today's precip. debacle which luckily is subdued by the 0.06 mean. Winds should definitely get to arond 30 kts with 35 + kts within 1000 feet of the ground. Precip. had no real reasoning, just went sort of conservative. 12z GFS showed big storms tomorrow afternoon but CAPE only around 500 J/kg so that seems unlikely

65/50/32/0.64"

This was a really tough call im not sure what to think will happen tomorrow High could go higher but am unsure between how much clearing and timing of the next precip batch which is another thing for precip.

Seems im right around what people were thinking for the low. Winds could see higher but with the shower as someone stated we saw a 31 knot wind so who knows if it could go stronger.

I went 66/48/32/0.45.

Everything was happening earlier than modeled and HRRR wasn't showing much after 6z, which is why I took a gamble by going low on precip. Because I was going with "everything earlier" logic, I also thought cold front was passing through before 6z and it'll get cold enough to make my 48 work. The high, I just went middle of the road. 

We'll see...

With convection now forming I see we get a quick spike but as to how much clearing after is the question Temps behind convection look mid 60s and the winds should be high with a line.

With .13 in I could see maybe another half inch come in with this

We're at 0.27" for the day so far.

Only 0.05" from second wave (as of 6:07 EDT). There's a line to west so we'll probably pick up another 0.05-0.2" or so. 

What a luck that FWA avoided a deep convection storm during the second wave.

EDIT: and the line is falling apart

54/40/17/0.05

Meh. Like I mentioned, totally melted this week. Didn't give this forecast much effort. Went above the USL because it looked like they should have sunny breaks during the afternoon which I figure should counteract CAA at the beginning of April but who knows. Went above the USL for the low too because it looked like dew points would be on the high side. Winds should still be pretty strong right at 06z so took the over on them. Instability tomorrow afternoon will lead to some scattered showers and perhaps a few hundredths of an inch of rain.

52/38/18/0.04"

Went with a no-risk forecast that I figured would be around consensus (and is). No reason to take a chance. I'm sitting at 25th cumulative overall, so short of a total bombed or risky forecast, I should be able to hold onto a week 1 tourney bye.

Kinda surprised by the low rain today, but thankfully I put 0.60", so it's not hurting me too bad.

56/37/18/0.07

It's really down to the wire for me. If it gets down to 48F or lower by 06z tonight, which I think is reasonable, then I will be sitting in 3rd place category 2 overall. But then, only 0.3 points in this city will separate me from 4th place (jeo618 at uok, who has been ahead of me for most of this city). That means it all comes down to tomorrow. Here's our forecasts side by side tomorrow:

56/37/18/0.07

53/38/17/0.05

Very close except for the high. If the high is 56F or higher, I win. If it's 53F or lower, I lose. If it's in between, then it comes down to the other variables.

EDIT: Turns out if it's 53F or lower for the high (which is looking more and more likely), I can actually still eke out the win at the third decimal with a 37F or lower, an 18 or higher, AND a 0.07 or higher. Tough sell, but not impossible.

I think I'm probably hosed. The high looks almost certain to be 53F or lower at this point, and so only the following scenario will get me that third place cat 2 trophy. A very, very long shot.

EDIT: Turns out if it's 53F or lower for the high (which is looking more and more likely), I can actually still eke out the win at the third decimal with a 37F or lower, an 18 or higher, AND a 0.07 or higher. Tough sell, but not impossible.

With the final numbers in from yesterday, I'll finish 2nd in Category 4 for the year and should have a 5 seed in the tournament regardless of what happens today. 

Good luck to you Mallow! It's always possible!

Thanks!

I got my precip, at least. Now it's down to the wind and tonight's low. Unless I can manage a 54F by some miracle.

I think I'm probably hosed. The high looks almost certain to be 53F or lower at this point, and so only the following scenario will get me that third place cat 2 trophy. A very, very long shot.

The 17kt climo pretty much crushed my hopes. I know we have a slight chance of another wind surge with tonight's front/band, but I'd need that PLUS the low of 37F or lower.

The 17kt climo pretty much crushed my hopes. I know we have a slight chance of another wind surge with tonight's front/band, but I'd need that PLUS the low of 37F or lower.

Well I somehow managed to get the wind with the band. Huge nail-biter now--I need it to drop to 37F within the next two hours. 38F and I lose, 37F and I win.

The wind managed to spike to 20kts.

FWA was my drop city. Not the best showing, but ended up 44th overall for the one semester that I participated and 3rd among Category 0 participants. Can't complain too much.

Hopefully I can participate for the entire contest in 2016-17/

Not sure if any other people saw this but..

The WxChallenge Tournament begins on Monday with the Wild Card Round. Check the bracket for updates and seedings. All are welcome to forecast and NEW THIS YEAR, top scores at the end of the 4-week period will receive special Tournament Site awards. Thus, even if you do not qualify for the tournament ... or get knocked out, keep forecasting as the best scores in each category at the end of the 4-week period will receive special awards. In other words ... WxChallenge is not over, the post-season is about to begin and EVERYONE is eligible to participate. 

Archived