• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
WxChallenge 2015-16

I guess I reverse psychology'd my way to a good day pending the low. It looks like they may get into the 40s with mostly clear skies for the next couple hours. A side note, the 12z GFS has been killing it on the high here, just a single point of error through week 1. It'll be interesting to see if it continues to have the hot hand next week.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

19th overall after week 1. Having 0 error points on precip certainly helps, especially since my temperature forecasts have been questionable. My 52 for the low was complete luck, I thought the warm advection would kick in sooner. Phillipe has a huge lead in Cat-2 with the Wisconsin guy who won El Paso in 2nd. That's going to be tough competition to catch. 

For Friday I had 66/51/15/0.16"

I forecast rather early and went high on precip and that hurt me. I'm around 25th overall heading into week two. I've strung together a few decent cities this semester so I'm hoping the trend continues into the tournament next month. May be my last shot at it unless I decide to do grad school at some point.

70/51/14/0.04

For the high, used NAM BUFKIT but ended up getting what 12z GFS MOS is forecasting. Given how good it's been there it's hard to go against the hot hand. Low 50's was USL consensus on the low but I could certainly see how it ends up a bit cooler. BUFKIT showed the opportunty to mix around 15 kts to the surface so went in that neighborhood. Used the trusty RAP for precip. and it looked like they'd have a few lingering showers after 06z so decided to put some precip. but to not go as aggressive as the USL. The thing that worries me is the convective nature of the precip. could make it very "all or nothing."

67/48/19/0.01

MOS is warmer than the USL and decided to lean toward the higher numbers, even though CAA has me a little bit skeptical. The low should be at/near 06z THU, it's just a matter of how quick they can fall. For precip, I threw a hundreth in there for good measure. Seems like precipitation will be convective in nature, so could be nothing or could be a quick burst. Overall, not a super high confidence forecast.

The high did end up being 70 today.

70 high was a killer for me today...shouldn't have messed with my numbers at the last minute. 

66/46/21/0.02 for tomorrow.

I have a hard time seeing upper-60s with a frontal passage and potentially some precip in the morning. Tomorrow night should be chilly and I doubt MOS is dropping the temps fast enough. 

67/48/21/0

Challenging forecast for every variable. I wanted to go with the 12z GFS MOS since it again nailed the high today but I just couldn't see how it would get to 71 unless they have lapse rate to 800 mb of like 12C/km or something. Then the precip. factor, assuming it is scattered in nature I didn't want to risk putting anything. The wind was probably easiest, 20+kts to right around 500 feet AGL on BUFKIT so figured they shouldn't have any problem getting over 20 kts to the surface. I could see it being even a little higher than what I put as they do well on west winds. I really wanted to have the low tank but it looked like winds might prevent them from dropping as much as they would in a calmer regime.

Archived