SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2015-16 Discussion

OKwx2K4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those that follow Cohen and the snow advance, they are predicting a -AO winter. 

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation

*Longer term we continue to favor a negative bias to the AO.  Though not as rapid as the past two Octobers, Siberian snow cover has advanced this month at an above normal rate, Arctic sea ice extent remains below normal, and active atmospheric blocking favors the likelihood of troposphere-stratosphere coupling due to increased energy transfer from the troposphere to the stratosphere.  All three factors favor a negative winter AO.

*Looking for longer term towards the winter we follow Siberian October snow cover extent, Barents-Kara sea ice extent and tropospheric precursors to try to predict the winter mean AO state.  So far this October Siberian snow cover has advanced more rapidly than normal though not as fast as the two most recent Octobers.  Arctic sea ice in the Barents Kara seas is below normal and certainly less extensive than last year at this time.  Finally high latitude blocking has been above normal so far this October.  In particular model forecast of the geopotential height field projects on to the pattern that favors increased energy transfer from the troposphere to the stratosphere that eventually warms the polar stratosphere and weakens the polar vortex.  We consider all of these factors to favor a negative winter AO and therefore a relatively cold winter across the Northern Hemisphere continents in the mid-latitudes.  However we also have one of the strongest El Niños ongoing that is predicted to last through the winter.  El Niño is thought to force milder winters across the extratopical Northern Hemisphere.  It is challenging to anticipate how the final outcome of competing forcings from the tropics and the high latitudes will influence mid-latitude weather.

Cold Surge still showing up on the Euro today.

ecmwf_T850a_namer_10.png

More cold air building in central Canada, will it head South or east or both?

ecmwf_T850a_namer_11.png

Or will either happen at all? lol

That is one heck of a rapid reload up there! Very impressive if it verifies.

WSI has this for Nov, Dec, Jan. All months colder than normal in our area.

20151019-US-Seasonal-Forecast.jpg

I have to strongly disagree with that map but it is nice that they didn't do the usual Nino all out blowtorch over Canada. Just a little warm. Reanalysis data I have looked at for the months of August, September, and the first 15 days of October leans toward the colder years and all but rules out a 1997-98. If I'm wrong, so be it but I can't go warm.

I don't know, I like that map and colder than average for Dec/Jan would be good. I'm getting a little worried because the CFS v2 has had a longer stretch of showing below normal temps for our area this winter compared to what it usually shows. Seems the opposite has been true with it lately. 

I don't know, I like that map and colder than average for Dec/Jan would be good. I'm getting a little worried because the CFS v2 has had a longer stretch of showing below normal temps for our area this winter compared to what it usually shows. Seems the opposite has been true with it lately.

True. I don't call the CFS "Can't Forecast Sh*t" for nothing. Lol. I'm anxious to see what happens when these models quit waffling this pattern all over the place right now.

Everyone see OHweather's winter forecast post on the main forum?

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/47089-my-2015-2016-winter-outlook/

OHweather picked some snowy years for us, this is accumulated snowfall % of normal. I wouldn't mind another 1987-1988.

19871988.png

Or 1957-1958:

19571958.png

or 2002-2003:

20022003.png

Had to be a badish year in there for someone in the area and that was 2006-2007... pass!

20062007.png

Sir, I never want 2006-07 to be spoken of again. :,-( I was so very mad that year. If I remember right most of 87-88 fell in one event, I would like the other years though. Good post.

87-88 was pretty big in OK from Mid-Dec to Mid-Jan or so. About a foot or so in the NW half of OK in mid-Dec. Big Ice storm around Christmas and then a big southern snowstorm the first week of Jan. That's the one where your area probably ended up with a lot as it produced 10+". 

87-88 was pretty big in OK from Mid-Dec to Mid-Jan or so. About a foot or so in the NW half of OK in mid-Dec. Big Ice storm around Christmas and then a big southern snowstorm the first week of Jan. That's the one where your area probably ended up with a lot as it produced 10+".

Probably so. I would have to look at it again. Sounds like there was something for everybody that year.

Euro Weeklies look to get the next (besides the short term) southern storm system train rolling from around Nov 15th through the end of the run which is around the 22nd. That may change though. Boring run for the most part, not seeing any big Nov cooldown as everything is still pretty progressive. 

Yeah, I think Nov looks pretty warm, maybe at least the first half. The MJO wave is going to make it pretty warm and it's going to shift the Aleutian low farther east over the GoA for a time, which should cause everyone to panic. Hopefully things will pick up the second half of Nov and the Aleutian low will start shifting back west. 

That is a very Nina look and would be an active storm track would be interesting to see if the pattern plays out like that.

I thought it looked very nina'ish too. It's still on the 12z Euro ensembles. Looks like it would lead to a downstream western US trough eventually moving into the central US. We'll see if it changes again though.

Archived