joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2015-16 Discussion

OKwx2K4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Models are still going with the ridge over the GoA and Aleutians. This should allow troughing to develop over the west coast and southwest with a SE ridge. 

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_11.png

Continues through the extended:

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_65.png

As modeled, the west should be cooler than normal and stormy, with the east warm. Weeklies later.

Very unusual pattern for an El Niño huh?

It is, as far as strong Nino's go, I can't really find a match between the expected pattern and any of the strong Nov nino's. It's possible '82 may be the closest if we start getting cooler air in the Plains during the 2nd half of Nov. If it's all warm everywhere, something like 2009 (moderate) may be what Nov looks like. It appears it will be the opposite of 1997 which was warm west and cool east. 

It is, as far as strong Nino's go, I can't really find a match between the expected pattern and any of the strong Nov nino's. It's possible '82 may be the closest if we start getting cooler air in the Plains during the 2nd half of Nov. If it's all warm everywhere, something like 2009 (moderate) may be what Nov looks like. It appears it will be the opposite of 1997 which was warm west and cool east. 

Yeah, Nov 82 is close to what the first 10 days of Nov per ensembles...but no two winters are alike so we will see.

82/83 did have +QBO like we probably will have this winter.

post-2311-0-82103100-1445884120_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-58866900-1445884121_thumb.pn

Weeklies:

Still building the Aleutian/GoA ridge that the ensembles have been showing. Looks active out into the western US with a SE ridge until about mid-Nov. It still looks like around mid-Nov is when we'll see the southern storm track kick in. Not a real strong signal either way in the GoA at that time. 

Looks like a predominantly +AO through Nov with a -PNA slowly increasing to around neutral to positive by the end of the month.

Yet another winter forecast with 125-200% snowfall across OK/AR.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/Winter1415/Winter201516Forecast.pdf

Yep. Lost him at 1997-98 and east based Niño analogs. I ALWAYS admire and credit those that do these forecasts. They do such a great job displaying their ideas in ways that I never could. That being said, why do so much that shows how this is different than the 2 super Niños and go with classic Niño composite anyway? I just don't see how we get to that composite from where we are now but maybe I'm just being narrow minded.

Yep. Lost him at 1997-98 and east based Niño analogs. I ALWAYS admire and credit those that do these forecasts. They do such a great job displaying their ideas in ways that I never could. That being said, why do so much that shows how this is different than the 2 super Niños and go with classic Niño composite anyway? I just don't see how we get to that composite from where we are now but maybe I'm just being narrow minded.

Safe bet to go with El-Nino conditions since it's a strong El-Nino. All the models are going with the El-Nino look. 

If you believe in repeating patterns, then the ridging that is coming up in the GoA and Aleutians might make for an interesting time when it comes back around with winter wavelengths. 

Safe bet to go with El-Nino conditions since it's a strong El-Nino. All the models are going with the El-Nino look.

If you believe in repeating patterns, then the ridging that is coming up in the GoA and Aleutians might make for an interesting time when it comes back around with winter wavelengths.

I really do get where they come from in doing it, it just drives me crazy a little. I won't rant about it anymore. Lol.

I think I do believe in a recurring pattern of sorts but I don't quite understand them if that makes any sense.

On recurring patterns, I looked a little into the LRC a little while ago and it seems to me that Lezak likes mid-late December on into early January for quite a few events. Nice to know I guess.

If I've read correctly, we are near (slightly above) last year and only behind 1976 in SAI for anyone who follows that stuff. I think snowcover is a bit lower than that and pretty paltry on the North American side of the globe. I did notice on what snowcover map I have seen that it seems like western Siberia has performed much better than last year. I don't know what correlation that has if any. Just an observation.

First frost advisory for here tonight.

Euro Weeklies:

Becoming more active over the west and southwest by mid-Nov with activity spreading across the south. Remains active across the west through the end of the month. Still looks to be ridging hanging tough out by the Aleutians. La Nino look remains. 

+AO that is slowly dropping closer to neutral as we get to the end of the month. Negative to neutral PNA.

I saw Larry Cosgrove's forecast this morning. It looks like a very similar idea to what I'm thinking. Didn't overdo the standard Niño garbage and really presented very balanced and nicely weighted variables throughout. I can't link it correctly but it can be found on his Facebook page.

This is a link to Cosgrove's forecast. I don't think his Nov forecast looks anything like what the Weeklies and models are showing, so I'm unsure about the rest of his forecast.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/weatheramerica/uvI2m7ygRy4

Here's a video link to someone else's forecast which seems crazy....

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/30373949/pauls-2015-winter-weather-outlook

This is a link to Cosgrove's forecast. I don't think his Nov forecast looks anything like what the Weeklies and models are showing, so I'm unsure about the rest of his forecast.

Yeah, not quite sure what he had going on with November now that you mention it. The rest of it seems pretty solid though.

Belt of snow to far south. In my opinion.

Happy Halloween!

CanSIPS Nov run should be this evening. Let's hope it's spooktacular! 

November still looks pretty warm. The west looks stormy and cooler.

cfsnov.png

Nino 1.2 has more than likely peaked. It may recover a bit, or hold steady.nino12.png

The CFS which is reactive shows the expected drop, and then holds it pretty steady.

nino12Sea.gif

Nino 3 will probably warm a bit more, Nino 3.4 will likely warm a bit more and Nino 4 will warm a bit more as well. Making this a basin-wide Nino. 

CanSIPS has updated for Nov.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=cansips&region=namer&pkg=z500a&runtime=2015110100&fh=3&xpos=0&ypos=195

More of a Positive AO look for December. It has the western 1/2 of the US cold though and stormy. Above normal precip in our area The southern stream has shifted a bit farther south and west compared to last months run:

cansips_z500a_namer_1.png

January is interesting. It pretty much kept the Aleutian Low where it was on last month's run but backed the lowest heights farther west towards Texas. It is also very cold for much of the country. We'd also have above normal precip

cansips_z500a_namer_2.png

Feb changed from what you'd normally expect as far as temps. Aleutian low position a little farther south, Lowest heights still over the SE US. Feb is below normal when it comes to precip, with temps around normal. 

cansips_z500a_namer_3.png

CanSIPS has updated for Nov.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=cansips&region=namer&pkg=z500a&runtime=2015110100&fh=3&xpos=0&ypos=195

More of a Positive AO look for December. It has the western 1/2 of the US cold though and stormy. Above normal precip in our area The southern stream has shifted a bit farther south and west compared to last months run:

January is interesting. It pretty much kept the Aleutian Low where it was on last month's run but backed the lowest heights farther west towards Texas. It is also very cold for much of the country. We'd also have above normal precip

Feb changed from what you'd normally expect as far as temps. Aleutian low position a little farther south, Lowest heights still over the SE US. Feb is below normal when it comes to precip, with temps around normal. 

That's a very cold January, I didn't think the Dec looked to bad, hard to tell but I would imagine end of Dec looks fairly good.

post-2311-0-37475300-1446338822_thumb.pn

That's a very cold January, I didn't think the Dec looked to bad, hard to tell but I would imagine end of Dec looks fairly good.

Yeah, I think it would be basically showing an active southern stream into Dec. Probably late Dec or January would be an Arctic outbreak based on the January map. 

Feb I'm not too sure about. I would think that it would actually be cold as well. Probably drier in this area though.

Yeah, I think it would be basically showing an active southern stream into Dec. Probably late Dec or January would be an Arctic outbreak based on the January map.

Feb I'm not too sure about. I would think that it would actually be cold as well. Probably drier in this area though.

That could be pretty darn impressive. What is that about -10F for down here?

Archived