SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2015-16 Discussion

OKwx2K4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z Euro continues the theme. It looks like it persists through Thanksgiving as well. The Euro drops the AO as well. Interesting run.

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_11.png

I like where this is headed. I don't think it's all the way there yet but headed in the right direction.

-EPO ridging doesn't look like it'll stick around long according to the latest Euro Ensembles. Storminess to return to Alaska and probably the GoA by the end of the month into early Dec. Also looks stormy over the pole. Should still deliver us some below normal air though at some point Thanksgiving week.

-EPO ridging doesn't look like it'll stick around long according to the latest Euro Ensembles. Storminess to return to Alaska and probably the GoA by the end of the month into early Dec. Also looks stormy over the pole. Should still deliver us some below normal air though at some point Thanksgiving week.

So, thoughts right now on December? Torch or freeze?

So, thoughts right now on December? Torch or freeze?

It's a complete guess right now, but at this point, I'd lean towards probably normal to above normalish. It's possible we start out cooler, than see a warmup, and then get cooler again. December El Nino's are usually above normal. 

It's a complete guess right now, but at this point, I'd lean towards probably normal to above normalish. It's possible we start out cooler, than see a warmup, and then get cooler again. December El Nino's are usually above normal.

True. They usually are. Hoping this one progresses like the '09 version though.

Nice to see some fantasy snow ❄

It is. If I remember correctly, the last couple of years were devoid of any fantasy snow this early and were generally boring. At least the fantasy snow gives some kind of hope that something may happen, as unlikely as it may be this time of year.

JMA should update later today or tomorrow for the winter. 

This looks more like what we should be seeing in an El-Nino.

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_61.png

JMA 3 month hasn't updated yet....... I'm excited to see the Euro Weeklies later!

Nice. That huge azz ridge could retrograde west a little bit but that pattern has all the potential in the world.

Euro weeklies have finally woke up to the El Nino and have more of a classic El Nino look as we head into and through December. They go out to Dec 17th today. After the ridge for the -EPO breaks down at the end of this month, the more classic looking Aleutian low starts forming. There is a signal of a southern stream in our part of the world, possibly to our south for a bit, but we'll see. 

+AO looks to remain, although it could dip negative at times. The PNA looks to go positive though.  

Temps and snowfall come in a bit later, so I'll check back in later.......

EDIT: Temps look to be about average after the late Nov/Early Dec cold leaves. Not a lot of snowfall being shown in our area, but look out Gulf coast on the control, lol

Some more fantasy digital snow on the 06z GFS. Whew, I'm pooped from digging out from under all this fantasy snow. I think the GFS is pretty confused.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_48.png

OH my! I hope that could verify. I get absolutely smashed there.

I like where pretty much everything is placed in the maps you posted in the previous post. If the Aleutian low wasn't tilted NW to SE I would be a little concerned but it appears that it would allow plenty of cold to drain by. It's almost game time now so here's to verifying!

Hmmm, going to have to check that one out.

Looks like a couple frozen systems actually. One after hour 252 and the next around/after 324. Biggest amounts are down in Arkansas.

The WxBell  ECMWF 0.125°  "Legacy Link" link still has snow maps for the control run. Also the   "EPS Precipitation & MSLP" CONUS maps have all the ensemble snow maps.

Which link? There is an ensemble mean snowfall map under the legacy link. The EPS Precipitation and MSLP link has snowfall amounts for each of the ensemble members + mean + control run.

Yeah, I was talking about the legacy link. Pretty good signal for snow if you ask me. Pretty much guaranteed to be cold from what I could tell.

Well, got my 06z GFS fantasy snow shoveled out again this morning. Lol. If it keeps ending the runs like that I'm going to be tired by the time it does snow. :-) If you could draw my favorite types of snowstorms up on paper, the one it showed this morning is my favorite.

Well, got my 06z GFS fantasy snow shoveled out again this morning. Lol. If it keeps ending the runs like that I'm going to be tired by the time it does snow. :-) If you could draw my favorite types of snowstorms up on paper, the one it showed this morning is my favorite.

It's definitely a lot more active than the last 2 years already. At least it's giving more hope this year. 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_scus_52.png

If JB's old saying is correct, we could see a couple of blockbuster storms this winter. He always said what happens in November the winter will remember. We haven't had a lot of cold air yet but we're getting there. This last system delivered over 4" of rain in a lot of places in this region. So we are very active with system after system and the setup looks primed for the southern plains to mid-Miss valley. Doug's winter forecast due out next Monday. Everybody have a good day!

Archived