joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2015-16 Discussion

OKwx2K4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is from NWS Tulsa. Last part regarding the events coming next weekend.

South winds will return during the day Sunday, allowing for a warmup that will last through the middle of next week and likely through Thanksgiving Day. The persistent south winds will allow moisture to increase especially by the middle of the week, with rain chances increasing accordingly. Widespread rainfall will be likely by the end of next week, as a large upper low parks itself over the western half of the country. Precipitation may be ongoing into the early part of next weekend with colder low level air moving in behind another frontal passage. Although the details this far out remain very uncertain, IF rain persists that long, a transition to freezing rain may occur with some potential for ice impacts. A very warm above surface layer points toward freezing rain as the most likely wintry precipitation type IF wintry precipitation occurs. The forecast will include a mention of rain or freezing rain Friday night across the northern half of the forecast area, but with the uncertainties mentioned above, this is not a slam dunk.

Hopefully there's something falling and sticking here before Christmas this yr. Give me one good snow in December and I'll be patient waiting on a good back end of winter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A

Yep, I just want snow before Christmas to put me in the Christmas spirit. Looks like I may have to get up early in the AM this morning to see some flurries mixing in with the showers or I can hope for the longshot GFS overrunning situation. 

Nov 30, 2006 anybody?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A

Man I remember this and have pics of that storm! That year and 2007 was insane with snow and ice storms, its when I first moved back to missouri from jersey. I have pics if ya'll want to see them sometime I will gladly upload them somewhere online for everyone to see. I believe we got close to 18" of snow, Osceola missouri. The date stamp was december 1st after the snowstorm! How crazy, edit....Just saw JoMo's post and found a text writeup I did saying 15"...right on the nose that forecast was!

Heres one pic of that storm in 06 MoWeatherGuy mentioned...this was while it was ongoing. Had to shrink this down for the board sorry guys...just to give ya'll an idea of what I got out of that. I remember that storm being almost blizzard like and whipping the snows everywhere.

NMLUgnX.jpg

Possibly, still a long way away though. The GGEM had a really interesting run tonight primarily to our west. There's still a lot that could change.

I like your location for a wintery threat day 7-8. Wave riding a front deal...cold looks to be there with the big drop in the EPO.

Light snow is falling in Bentonville this morning. Nothing to get too excited about but awesome to see the first flakes of the season.

Yeah. Got pelted with some graupel/sleet on my way to my hunting spot. Windy as heck but they're in early rut still so can't shoot them if you're not with them.

Well the 12z GFS sure was ugly. The 12z GGEM is a bit more exciting and matches the 12z Euro better. The best chances for anything frozen still look to remain to our west and north though. Going to depend on how cold the air is and how far east it makes it before it stops. 

Euro Weeklies:

The weeklies today go out to Christmas Eve. +AO looks to remain with a +PNA that may dip somewhat as we head towards late Dec. Expect the same El Nino pattern with an Aleutian low and energy cutting under the ridging across Canada into the west and southern US through around mid-Dec. Initially the systems may be somewhat farther south (of us) as those are some pretty potent higher heights across Canada, but by mid-month the higher heights head north and are centered more over Hudson Bay and eventually wind up east of Hudson Bay by the end of the run. The control isn't that far off from the ensemble mean from the looks of things.

Based off this run, I'd say that we should see the general El Nino pattern continue. The systems will come into the west or southwest US and cross the southern US. It looks like around mid-month, there will probably be at least 1 bigger system that passes close by. The end of the run, which is around Christmas, looks like there will be a large trough extending from way north of Alaska all the way into the western US and Plains. So I'd say things look better once we get to around mid-Dec.

EDIT: The warmest temp anomalies actually move from west to east across Canada through the end of the run. Around here, I'd say temps are around normal to slightly above, with the warmest probably being just before mid-Dec. The control run has below normal temps for us, probably due to the cooling effect from expected snowfall it has. 

Euro Weeklies:

The weeklies today go out to Christmas Eve. +AO looks to remain with a +PNA that may dip somewhat as we head towards late Dec. Expect the same El Nino pattern with an Aleutian low and energy cutting under the ridging across Canada into the west and southern US through around mid-Dec. Initially the systems may be somewhat farther south (of us) as those are some pretty potent higher heights across Canada, but by mid-month the higher heights head north and are centered more over Hudson Bay and eventually wind up east of Hudson Bay by the end of the run. The control isn't that far off from the ensemble mean from the looks of things.

Based off this run, I'd say that we should see the general El Nino pattern continue. The systems will come into the west or southwest US and cross the southern US. It looks like around mid-month, there will probably be at least 1 bigger system that passes close by. The end of the run, which is around Christmas, looks like there will be a large trough extending from way north of Alaska all the way into the western US and Plains. So I'd say things look better once we get to around mid-Dec.

EDIT: The warmest temp anomalies actually move from west to east across Canada through the end of the run. Around here, I'd say temps are around normal to slightly above, with the warmest probably being just before mid-Dec. The control run has below normal temps for us, probably due to the cooling effect from expected snowfall it has.

Looks like it's progressing as expected...

https://twitter.com/danleonard_wx/status/668915846757163008

Meteorologist Doug Heady had his winter forecast tonight. 

Cycle is about 53 days.

16" is average snow....

He thinks whole country above average temps for the winter... Above normal precip in our area.

He thinks 16-20" snow...

1-2 ice storms

2-3 big snow events...

Lot of rainy systems.

Archived