joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2015-16 Discussion

OKwx2K4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That 57-58 analog is an interesting one (and bear in mind, I say this from my New Jersey perspective since that was my home for the first 47 years of my life). 57-58 is famous on the east coast because it was one of those rare years that had two truly historic storms in one winter. One of those storms (in March 1958) set snowfall records just inland from the big cities that were probably never approached again.... until this past weekend. If Cosgrove is right, maybe the east coast has another historic storm in their future this season, and maybe we can still see some variation on what 57-58 gave the southern plains. My question, as a newcomer, is what happened in 57-58 in these parts? Was the second half of that winter particularly snowy?

And, yes, I am grasping at straws. LOL.

February 1958 for Tulsa has 1.0 inches. March 1958 had 11.6. They also had a 4 inch snow in January. Seriously doubt we reach anything of that magnitude this year but who knows?

The 0Z Euro on the other hand does take a further south track with the snow. I have a feeling we'll see things trend south over the next few days. I'll be mentioning the potential for accumulating snow in the Texas Panhandle with that system early next week. We'll have to watch just in case we get a little dryline action Monday Night east of Interstate 35. Hopefully we can get away without any major severe weather issues in Texas. Dixie Alley won't be so lucky though as they're in for a significant severe weather event on Tuesday. 

But... storms or rumors of storms?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The one in a few days will more than likely pass to our NW. After that, unsure, but cold air is always good to have around if there is a storm. The ensembles had a few members who were showing snow in our area in the next 15 days but not any overwhelming agreement or signal. 

Big storm showing up at 240 could be some fun times ahead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yeah, there was something in the 10-15 day on some of the Euro ensembles last night.

12z GEM has it farther NW, but it's something.

Sounds like we're going to have our entire winter concentrated into February. Maybe we can get a snow out of it.

Probably Feb into early to mid-March. It's strong El-Nino climo. As the Nino fades, the Aleutian low pulls back to the west, leading to more of a -EPO, with energy slipping under the ridge across the southern US. Was hoping this would all happen sooner, but the Nino got too strong.

Archived