Spring and Summer '15 Photo Thread

snowfan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

Nice fireworks pic. 

From what I've seen on twitter/flickr, seems like smoke was a real problem this year. Even the folks set up on Mt Vernon trail across the river got a good bit of smoke in their shots. That's always a risk with fireworks and can even be a problem when the weather isn't bad. I hope to try my hand at DC 4th fireworks next year. We were in DE at the beach for the weekend and didn't even bother going out for the fireworks because of the rain. 

Anyway, here's a pic from Father's Day in Shenandoah. If you remember, the remnants of TS Bill passed the night before and were still clearing the area the following morning. 

18884293709_632c0cd70b_z.jpg

Nice fireworks pic. 

From what I've seen on twitter/flickr, seems like smoke was a real problem this year. Even the folks set up on Mt Vernon trail across the river got a good bit of smoke in their shots. That's always a risk with fireworks and can even be a problem when the weather isn't bad. I hope to try my hand at DC 4th fireworks next year. We were in DE at the beach for the weekend and didn't even bother going out for the fireworks because of the rain. 

Anyway, here's a pic from Father's Day in Shenandoah. If you remember, the remnants of TS Bill passed the night before and were still clearing the area the following morning. 

Great pic!

I tested out my GoPro 2 weeks ago at Assateague. Kind of cool camera. Need to practice more with it. I wish there was more control over the settings, etc. 

p1290008528-4.jpg

Nice pics. Was out there 2 weeks ago and all the trails were a muddy mess....thick black mud. And FS 75 on top of Dolly Sods was an adventure. Big pot holes, cuts in the road from water, etc. You name the obstacle, it was there. The leaf peeper festival in Davis is the last weelend of September. I'm hoping to catch Dolly Sods in peak bloom. The fiery red color of the blueberry bushes is incredible.

Nice pics. Was out there 2 weeks ago and all the trails were a muddy mess....thick black mud. And FS 75 on top of Dolly Sods was an adventure. Big pot holes, cuts in the road from water, etc. You name the obstacle, it was there. The leaf peeper festival in Davis is the last weelend of September. I'm hoping to catch Dolly Sods in peak bloom. The fiery red color of the blueberry bushes is incredible.

Thanks. I am sure yours are much more awesome lol. Yeah I did a few 3 mile hikes, and lots of mud and muck. Quite a bit of rain this summer out that way, as evidenced by the volume of water coming over Blackwater falls. Was mostly cloudy the whole time I was there but only rained lightly at times. I skipped Dolly Sods for the reasons you mentioned, but I really want to go there.

Those of you near DC that are into nature/flowers should check out the lotus bloom at Kenilworth Gardens. 

19508721539_24137064cf.jpg

19725590922_a770f9c618.jpg

19724269165_39ef08005f.jpg

PS. For the Maryland/Southern PA crew....Clear Meadow farms posted to their website that the sunflowers were planted mid-July, so just recently. They expect bloom to hit near mid-September. If you've never driven over to Jarrettsville to see the show, it's highly recommended. Shot below from last year. 

15045407740_cbfe2f9c93.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last week, I visited Skyline Drive for the first time. Such a beautiful place. On Wednesday, some storms moved through which brought some rain and some very thick fog up near Skyland Resort (MP 40). 

p1350880683-4.jpg

Loved watching the clouds move through...

p1350881071-4.jpg

Wall of cloud and fog moving through...

p1350881291-4.jpg

Fog at Skyland Resort. 

p1350882229-4.jpg

Big Meadows

p1350882269-4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived