joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Severe Weather Thread

Hvward

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

should I even consider chasing tomorrow, isn't suppose to be mostly at night?

I have chased these type setups before and this is not the system you want to chase. It is hard enough to keep up with a storm moving 20-30mph and nearly impossible to stay with one moving 50mph+. Mississippi isn't really the best place to see wide open country either because there are a lot of trees also. I had thoughts of chasing this one earlier on this week, but the fact that it will likely be nocturnal in large part deterred me. Chasing in the dark on unfamiliar roads is an unsafe recipe.

Gonna be a rough 24-36 hrs for Dixie Alley....parameters continue to be pretty insane especially given the time of year.

Yeah downeast 0-1km helicity is ridiculous for this time of the morning with values of 500 m2/s2 already in S MS. Indeed it is going to be a very rough afternoon and evening for Dixie Alley.

a468e080efe976400f8398c7de594c55.jpg

Wow and a tornado warning southeast of White Lake, NC. Watch out in Ivanhoe & Harrells.

that area of storms has bubbled its way up from NE SC, it kinds looked like it was gonna do something west of Myrtle Beach, anything in NC that gets strong enough to try and turn right against the SW to NE flow is gonna spin up, should be isolated but who knows..... 

Tor warned cell south of Mobile that is about to enter the bay was pretty strong a few frames ago. Looks to be developing better supercell structure and is in a hell of an environment. Will be interesting to see if it continues to redevelop over water.

99ad05f1018eca5e521a101cf01ecf97.jpg

Storm looks better than ever now. Storm went through the Air force base I'm located at in Biloxi. Back to GA for the holidays and they get all the action.

Thanks for the very warm welcome, everyone! And while I may not be a met, I am an enthusiast. Working with airplanes, how weather affects them, and a radar than can see precip every day helps a lot as well.

Anyways, continuing on! This morning, I got up and ready for work at 0615. As soon as I stepped out, I had a feeling something was up [aside from the information I knew coming in]. There was a slight low ceiling, but not so bad as yesterday. I would probably guess around 500-800' or so above the ground. However, there was a decently strong wind coming in from the south, and it was rather muggy. I grew up on the GoM in Texas, so while the humidity and the warmth of that morning was not a surprise for me in the month of December, the sheer fact that I was 1,000 miles away from home caught my attention.

I arrived to work, and we managed to surprise Memphis Center [the Center that owns our airspace when we are not open] that we were coming in to work today! Everyone at work was kinda wondering why we were there. In fact, soon enough, we got a call from our weather airport crew that were were under tornado watch conditions.

Granted, this is not a Tornado Watch in the sense of it issued by JAN or BHM, but rather a watch that we have a strong chance or a tornado within 5nm of the airfield over the course of the day. Kinda scary when you think about it. There are so few places with basements here, too. I know that I have no basement to run to if I had to! The water table is just too high.

Luckily, the higher ups decided that today was *not* the day to be flying, despite the fact that the weather was beginning to lift enough for training. So, we have now shut down the airfield. Alas, this means no pictures I can take from the Tower... I have to settle for the second floor balcony instead!

I managed to capture a few pictures from just right now [0900], however.

cFXqOEB.jpg

HyOpsjY.jpg

YHbNoS1.jpg

You can see the beginnings of the cloud clear up over the field. It's supposed to clear out by 11-ish.

Carolina tornados?

656 PM EST MON DEC 28 2015THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED A* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  NORTHWESTERN RUTHERFORD COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...  SOUTHWESTERN MCDOWELL COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...* UNTIL 730 PM EST* AT 656 PM EST...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM  CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS STORM WAS LOCATED 12  MILES NORTHWEST OF RUTHERFORDTON...OR NEAR LAKE LURE...AND MOVING  NORTH AT 30 MPH.* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...  LAKE LURE...SHINGLE HOLLOW...SUGAR HILL...OLD FORT AND CHIMNEY ROCK  STATE PARK.

gspchat 2015/12/28 6:29 PM iembot

3 NNE Trinity [union Co, NC] EMERGENCY MNGR reports TORNADO at 4:59 PM EST -- STRUCTURAL DAMAGE REPORTED ON SANDY RIDGE ROAD.

gspchat 2015/12/28 6:27 PM iembot

3 NNE Trinity [union Co, NC] EMERGENCY MNGR reports TORNADO at 4:58 PM EST -- TREES BLOWN DOWN ALONG WITH DAMAGE TO A SHED AND VEHICLES ON JUGG BROOME ROAD

RAH this morning

SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS SHOWERS WILL DEVELOP LATER THISMORNING AND CONTINUE THROUGH TONIGHT. THE SHOWERS WILL DUMPBETWEEN ONE AND TWO INCHES OF RAIN ON AN ALREADY SATURATED TOPSOIL. AN ISOLATED SEVERE THUNDERSTORM IS POSSIBLE THIS AFTERNOONWITH THE PRIMARY SEVERE WEATHER HAZARD BEING DAMAGING WIND GUSTSOR A BRIEF WEAK TORNADO.

• 2 weeks later...

EDGECOMBE-JOHNSTON-WILSON-HARNETT-WAYNE-SCOTLAND-HOKE-CUMBERLAND-

SAMPSON-

714 AM EST FRI JAN 8 2016

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

NO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY.

STRENGTHENING WINDS ALOFT...AND A BRIEF SURGE OF MILD AND HUMID

AIR INTO THE SANDHILLS AND COASTAL PLAIN LATE SATURDAY AND

SATURDAY NIGHT...WILL SUPPORT A MARGINAL RISK OF SEVERE

THUNDERSTORMS. THE PRIMARY HAZARD WOULD BE AN ISOLATED

TORNADO...WITH A SECONDARY THREAT OF DAMAGING WINDS...MAINLY

BETWEEN 6 PM AND 2 AM SATURDAY NIGHT.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION MAY BE NEEDED SATURDAY EVENING

Archived