• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
My Home of Italy Destroys World Snow Record!

TheSnowman

There are many links online, here is one - http://www.tetongravity.com/story/snowboard/capracotta-italy-sets-new-world-record-for-single-day-snowfall

Now - Does anyone know where to get the radar from this area on March 5th?  

And the pictures sure look more like a 50" Snowfall vs. a 100" Snowfall.  

There are many links online, here is one - http://www.tetongravity.com/story/snowboard/capracotta-italy-sets-new-world-record-for-single-day-snowfall

Well, obviously a snowfall of that magnitude will compact immensely.

Well, obviously a snowfall of that magnitude will compact immensely.

Yeah I think a lot of people don't quite understand how quickly snow compacts once it gets above about 25-30 inches.

I've been in a 75" snowstorm at Lake Tahoe that went about 36-48 hours. I don't think the "new depth" (there was already like 15 feet on the ground before that) ever got higher than about 40 inches.

You need probably like 300+ inches to attain a 100 inch depth.

I just thought with it being 18 hours, it would look like 70".  But I can't imagine 5"-8" per hour for 18 straight hours.  Any way to get the radar?  I would Love to know more about attaining radars around the world actually.  

I didn't think that part of Italy was North enough or high enough elevation to get good snow Let ALONE the Biggest storm in Recorded History.  

I just thought with it being 18 hours, it would look like 70".  But I can't imagine 5"-8" per hour for 18 straight hours.  Any way to get the radar?  I would Love to know more about attaining radars around the world actually.  

I didn't think that part of Italy was North enough or high enough elevation to get good snow Let ALONE the Biggest storm in Recorded History.  

I think your are mixing up the concepts of "settling/sublimation" and "compaction"...the former takes place after the fact.

Compaction takes place as it falls.

Damn, Will...I need to experience that type of envt. once in my lifetime.

I was lucky to be out there that season...1998-1999...the same year Mt. Baker broke the snowfall record with over 1100" in one season. Both the Cascades and Sierras killed it that year.

I've never seen snowpack like that...literally like 15-20 feet on the ground...at base level. Up on the peak it was even higher. :lol:

LOL Mt baker closed already this season. Not sure if it's temporary. 

The skiing there can be iffy...they are not very high elevation like some other areas (I think the base area is like 3500 feet). They just get an obscene amount of QPF usually...so enough of it is snow to crush them, but there's often a lot of rain too.

Get year like this year where it is done dry, then it sucks even worse since their lower elevation is even more of a disavantage for pack retention on what little snow they've gotten.

But it's been like a -3 standard dev year out there, lol. About as bad as you can get.

The skiing there can be iffy...they are not very high elevation like some other areas (I think the base area is like 3500 feet). They just get an obscene amount of QPF usually...so enough of it is snow to crush them, but there's often a lot of rain too.

Get year like this year where it is done dry, then it sucks even worse since their lower elevation is even more of a disavantage for pack retention on what little snow they've gotten.

But it's been like a -3 standard dev year out there, lol. About as bad as you can get.

I think they made up some ground, but Oregon was extremely bad a couple of weeks ago. The whole west in general is in tough shape. Fire season is not going to be pretty.

I actually drove through the Apennines when I was in Italy a few years ago in late February, a bit south of this location though, but still the peaks were absolutely smothered in snow while i was in a T-Shirt in Pompeii. I was totally caught off guard, i thought the were like the Appalachians before I went there lol. 

How bad do think the drought will get?  Will asparagus and strawberries be impossible to get? 

Eh, it always can come from other places. I'm sure it will go up though. Hopefully they get a good April in because it's pretty bad right now. April can still be wet sometimes.

Eh, it always can come from other places. I'm sure it will go up though. Hopefully they get a good April in because it's pretty bad right now. April can still be wet sometimes.

Yeah that's true...April is a snowy month in the Sierra.  Bring on the cold and snow for them, usually means a nice torch for us. April is a summer Month. 

I was lucky to be out there that season...1998-1999...the same year Mt. Baker broke the snowfall record with over 1100" in one season. Both the Cascades and Sierras killed it that year.

I've never seen snowpack like that...literally like 15-20 feet on the ground...at base level. Up on the peak it was even higher. :lol:

Makes sense they did well...the background that Nina year for them was like this year was for us.

archived sat

http://www.sat24.com/history.aspx

Archived