joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you imagine the irony sleeping through the storm after the past couple days of analysis and commentary?!

Wish I could say I've never done just that. :whistle: Pull a few all-nighters to watch it come together and then pass out just as the storm hits. It's a wretched feeling... lol.

27F with pixie dust falling from the low levels and the moon filtering through

Wish I could say I've never done just that. :whistle: Pull a few all-nighters to watch it come together and then pass out just as the storm hits. It's a wretched feeling... lol.

27F with pixie dust falling from the low levels and the moon filtering through

I wound up sleeping through most of the 93 Superstorm after working my arse off in the days leading up to the storm.

I used to routinely sleep through storms in Buffalo where they are a dime a dozen in the winter. Here, not so much. Sleep be damned! That's what the other 9 months of the year are for. 

I didn't see anyone mention the GFS, it looks to keep Dutchess and Orange and everyone north and west of there all snow. Looks like a little mixed stuff in Rockland and Putnam. 

I used to routinely sleep through storms in Buffalo where they are a dime a dozen in the winter. Here, not so much. Sleep be damned! That's what the other 9 months of the year are for.

I didn't see anyone mention the GFS, it looks to keep Dutchess and Orange and everyone north and west of there all snow. Looks like a little mixed stuff in Rockland and Putnam.

Rgem runs, as the storm is knocking on our door is almost ALWAYS correct so I'm glad to see the GFS verifys that

Pete Carroll just made a final call for tonight.   Sunny & 85 degrees.

I don't really follow the Seahawks, though I was rooting for them, was that his call or that came from the OC? What a disaster. I'm a lifelong Bills fan and I still think the most heartbreaking moment in my life was losing Super Bowl 25 on wide right. If I was a Seahawks fan, tonight might be worse.

Anyhow, we have light to moderate snow here with a coating, temp has dropped to 23 with the onset of the snow. Took the dog for a walk, nice peaceful night out there.

Question for you guys, what's the HRRR seeing here with the QPF minima in the valleys? Is that a downsloping effect? It does look like the wind is easterly for a time, though it doesn't appear to be particularly strong. I also thought that having a decent amount of low level cold air would help to shield against it. 

post-8457-0-12708300-1422853050_thumb.pn

Question for you guys, what's the HRRR seeing here with the QPF minima in the valleys? Is that a downsloping effect? It does look like the wind is easterly for a time, though it doesn't appear to be particularly strong. I also thought that having a decent amount of low level cold air would help to shield against it. 

attachicon.gifhrrr_snow_nyc_16.png

I've noticed that the HRRR almost always overdoes downslope drying when there is low-level easterly flow involved

nice band moving through already with great snow growth, looks like half an inch already. With these ratios I wouldn't be surprised if someone sees 16".

Looks like a nice band might be trying to set up over the 90 corridor. I think you're in a great spot for this one. In a little bit of a lull here, but the radar is beginning to fill in nicely over NJ and PA.

Nice temp gradient btw, I see some spots near Albany are around 5, most places around here are mid 20's.

Looks like a nice band might be trying to set up over the 90 corridor. I think you're in a great spot for this one. In a little bit of a lull here, but the radar is beginning to fill in nicely over NJ and PA.

Nice temp gradient btw, I see some spots near Albany are around 5, most places around here are mid 20's.

As soon as I typed that the band fell apart hah, the ways it's looking now I think we should all do pretty well.

attachicon.gifhrrr_snow_nyc_16.png

I've noticed that the HRRR almost always overdoes downslope drying when there is low-level easterly flow involved

Yea its definately downsloping... shows up nicely event in the 10 m winds. I agree the mesoscale models tend to overdo this, but something to keep in mind in the counties that border the Berkshires. 

NCyISGH.png

nice band moving through already with great snow growth, looks like half an inch already. With these ratios I wouldn't be surprised if someone sees 16".

Yea we have about 1/2" here in guilderland too. Temp down to 9F... should see good ratios tonight before stronger WAA kicks in between 850-700 hPa and snow growth becomes more focused above 700 hPa

Archived