• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

Ya its been nice seeing the rain. Looks to be a rainy weekend too.

Had enough rain today? Up to 2.70" since this morning. Just a train of storms today with more to come. Looks like the airport didn't do so well. Hopefully the west side picks up some rain as well. Amazing how we can go from dry to wet so quickly.

Had enough rain today? Up to 2.70" since this morning. Just a train of storms today with more to come. Looks like the airport didn't do so well. Hopefully the west side picks up some rain as well. Amazing how we can go from dry to wet so quickly.

I bet you tacked on another 1" to that from last evening and overnight. One of the rainiest days we've had for a while. Even more to come later today.

Still no measurable precip for CLE this month. High res models over the past two days consistently showed a washout with over 3" of rain. I can't remember seeing forecasts of heavy rain and 90%+ probs over a 2 day period with nothing more than a trace materializing.

Still no measurable precip for CLE this month. High res models over the past two days consistently showed a washout with over 3" of rain. I can't remember seeing forecasts of heavy rain and 90%+ probs over a 2 day period with nothing more than a trace materializing.

Yeah... the rain forecast was a bust. We could have used a soaker. More chances later in the week.

One of the better storms in a while. Was outside with my dog and torrential rains started out of nowhere. Crazy winds too. Power still out.

Best storm of the year. Winds were crazy... Easliy 50-60 if not higher. Branches are down all over. 3.65" for the month so far. So much for the dry spell we had.

Another heavy rain event on tap for the weekend. I bet many locations close out the month with a foot of rain. Incredible!

Just incredible amounts of rain. Well over 2" today for most areas. Lots of places with over a foot the past 30 days too.

The airport hasn't had as much, but still enough to be 6th rainiest June on record. What's interesting is that 2013, 2014, and 2015 will all make it on the top ten rainiest Junes list.

There've been a few months over the past 5 years or so that have had dry periods, but looking at the overall time frame, Northeast Ohio has been in an incredible wet spell. 

After today, I've had over 11" of rain IMBY for the month of June. The official rainiest month on record for Cleveland is 11.05" in September 1996. Needless to say many areas likely just saw their rainiest month on record, despite the airport only getting 8-9". It's even more impressive when you consider the 3 inches or so that fell the last days of May. So many areas are pushing 15" of rain the past 35 days, some incredible amounts for sure.

NWS 4-km precipitation analysis available here (for free) http://models.weatherbell.com/hrap/nws_precip.php shows that Toledo has had 9-11 inches of rain in 30 days (as of a couple of days ago) and Cleveland has had 9-13 inches. That's huge!

You should see it out here bud. To see almost every river except the Blanchard hitting a Major flood stage with top 10 all time crests in June is crazy to see. These fields with poor drainage have essentially turned into lakes with many farmers losing quite a bit of crop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems the switch has been shut off from the excess rain the past few months. Hot and more summer like now. Grass is starting to brown in some areas.

Yeah. Quite the turn around. I've only had about 0.10" of rain the last two weeks.

Lake breezes have been kicking in daily and keeping temps from getting to 90 at the airport.

I don't know if anyone else has seen this in the news lately, but the FAA is investigating CLE's snow removal operations. Apparently the airport had been significantly understaffing itself versus federal regulations during winter weather.

I wonder if this helps to explain why CLE has such erratic snowfall measuring totals? It often seemed like totals were made up or were revised the following week. It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't even measuring the snow or perhaps they were falsely under reporting snow so that it didn't trigger higher staffing levels.

I doubt the accuracy of snow measurements is the greatest of the FAA's concern versus proper runway maintenance during snow events, but it will be interesting to see what comes of this.

I don't know if anyone else has seen this in the news lately, but the FAA is investigating CLE's snow removal operations. Apparently the airport had been significantly understaffing itself versus federal regulations during winter weather.

I wonder if this helps to explain why CLE has such erratic snowfall measuring totals? It often seemed like totals were made up or were revised the following week. It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't even measuring the snow or perhaps they were falsely under reporting snow so that it didn't trigger higher staffing levels.

I doubt the accuracy of snow measurements is the greatest of the FAA's concern versus proper runway maintenance during snow events, but it will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Wouldn't that be interesting. The airport is run so poorly nothing would surprise me. I believe CLE contracts with an FAA observer to handle snowfall measurements.  

We've had a nice stretch of dry weather locally. As DTA mentioned the grass is actually browning in spots. Thought the storms over the lake would make it the other night but the died out. I'm going to enjoy this dry spell... we'll probably be wet again before we know it.

• 3 weeks later...