• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

Holy crap. A PNS in Ashtabula County is reporting -39, which would tie the all-time state record. Obviously, I can't vouch for its precision but still... The two closest PNS's are reporting -29 and -30, so it's definitely in the ballpark.

attachicon.gifwow.png

The weather station you pointed out had a low of -38.7°F reported on Weather Underground.  It's in Rome, OH and it's a Davis Vantage Pro.

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW3607&last=72

The temperature readings seem accurate, although the barometer is not.  

http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/D3607

It's amazing how much model disparity exists for this storm tomorrow.

I think we sit good for 4-6". I wonder if we'll see an inevitable NW trend with this?

It will be interesting to see how this storm plays out. Can't put much faith in any model solution. NAM cobb output is .38", while the GFS is .38" as well. Should be good for a 4-5" snowfall. A small nudge NW wouldn't be a bad thing.

I wonder if CLE will go ahead and issue advisories for a 3-5" event? It's sort of borderline.

What amazes me most is that we've had snow event after snow event accumulate without much melting. Even if we only get 4" of snow tomorrow, that 4" of synoptic snow will push all the snow banks higher which are already impressive.

I wonder if CLE will go ahead and issue advisories for a 3-5" event? It's sort of borderline.

What amazes me most is that we've had snow event after snow event accumulate without much melting. Even if we only get 4" of snow tomorrow, that 4" of synoptic snow will push all the snow banks higher which are already impressive.

That is what has put this winter in rare territory... snow on top of snow etc. SREF mean is almost up to 6" for CLE. Quite a few members above that as well.

Holy crap. A PNS in Ashtabula County is reporting -39, which would tie the all-time state record. Obviously, I can't vouch for its precision but still... The two closest PNS's are reporting -29 and -30, so it's definitely in the ballpark.

attachicon.gifwow.png

I got in touch with the owner of this station.  He says he has two stations although only one is setup on the internet.  During windy conditions the overnight temperatures are the same, during calm conditions the lower station reads 1-3°F lower.  That sounds reasonable.  The stations are located at the Grand River Jersey Farm in Rome.

Perhaps the reading can be certificated as "official" at some point?

I got in touch with the owner of this station.  He says he has two stations although only one is setup on the internet.  During windy conditions the overnight temperatures are the same, during calm conditions the lower station reads 1-3°F lower.  That sounds reasonable.  The stations are located at the Grand River Jersey Farm in Rome.

Perhaps the reading can be certificated as "official" at some point?

It is very rural in that area so I'm sure it radiates well. Looks like it is located just east of the geauga ridge in the valley so I wouldn't too surprised at the reading... even if it is a degree or two off that's still impressive.

CLE reporting inch per hour rates the past two hours. Nice snowfall even if it's not huge fat flakes.

CLE should end up on the top ten snowiest February list once again, even with their low ball snowfall measurements.

Coming down nicely here. Radar looks good at the moment... hopefully it fills in to the west.

A little over 2" so far. Hopefully the radar fills in more. Still more to come out west.

I had 2.8" with the first batch... Probably another inch since the snow started again. Radar looks great, and there's a nice band over the lake. Wonder if we don't see 5-6" out of this.

That band running SW to NE over the lake always seems to form. Not sure why that is.

A little over 4" here. Seems to have performed as expected. I'm more surprised at the fact that the warm air was over modeled. Only up to 26 today unless there was an intra-hour high. All in all I've had almost 30" of snow this month. I think I can say that the past 30 days have probably been about the best you can get in these parts for a winter weather enthusiast. 

CLE had 0.36" liquid equivalent today adding up each hourly observation, they also had 2 hours with at least an inch reported. I'm guessing they should come in with about 4" as well. 

Yup, and 2 winters in a row no less!

We've had a pretty good run here. You guys just a little northwest tend to hold on to snow cover much better. This has been has been a great stretch of winter by Ohio standards.

My son asked when the snow would melt... wasn't sure how to answer that question other than enjoy it while it lasts.

Ended up with 4.25". My last measurement came later, so there was probably some compaction. Definitely a lower ratio snow on top. Average depth is around 16.5". It's been an impressive strech,and doesn't look to let up anytime soon.

About the same here. Thought round 2 would be good but the snow moved out quickly. Definitley not fluff... These sandy type snows seem more substantial. Snow depth ranges from 16-20" of dense snow.

I'm guessing just like last weekend that the KCLE total gets updated at midnight. It's quite apparent that 0.16" liquid didn't fall just by looking at the METARs and the 2.7" was probably achieved by 9am, since both the 8 and 9 am obs each showed 1 inch new snowfall. I wonder where these numbers on the climate report come from? 

The nightly local storm report will also have this storm cut in half depending on when the observer measured this morning. It sure makes finding storm totals difficult.

The new climate report says CLE got 2.7" of snow on 0.38" of liquid. With a high of 26 and a low of 12 (morning low of 13). Tell me guys, since I wasn't there, did the snow from Saturday have the density of freshly poured concrete? :lmao: :lmao:

Apparently, when it snows 2" in two hours, with two other hours with moderate snow, and several other hours of light snow, and air temps welll below freezing, it all adds up to 2.7". What a gosh darn joke.

Yeah. That's complete BS. That will probably be adjusted at some point this week I would hope. But it proves the point that snowfall measurements at KCLE are likely made up, not measured at all, estimated, or not taken seriously whatsoever. It's a shame.

Here's some liquid equivalent and snowfalls from yesterday:

2.1" on 0.15" TOL

2.7" on 0.38" CLE

4.8" on 0.35" YNG

6.2" on 0.43" CAK

6.8" on 0.52" CMH

Ratios ended up being pretty good across the board. There's no way CLE only got 2.7". Judging from other official sites ratios and totals that came in from Cuyahoga County, CLE should have had about 4.5" give or take a few tenths.

The 9am METAR was the second hour in a row of 1" per hour snows and showed a 8" depth. It had snowed 2 hour priors to that as well. The snowfall at CLE should have been about 2.5" at CLE by 9am. That means that the following 0.20" liquid equivalent that fell after that in the 20s was a straight 1:1 ratio snow, in other words pure ice.

We'll see if this ever gets fixed.