• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

From a meteorological perspective, I find these crap events with a frozen lake to be very interesting, although from a public perspective, this isn't much to write home about.

Unfortunately, didn't get a clear shot of the central basin today. It was looking like we would for a while. Still can get snow from frictional convergence/orographic lift if there's enough low level moisture, which it looks like will happen. This would've been a solid advisory to maybe even warning worthy event with a mainly open lake. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Here's my write up on it.

A multitude of surface cold fronts/troughs will drop south across Lake Erie and northern Ohio between Wednesday evening and Thursday evening, each of which could be the focus for light synoptic snow and some lake enhancement.

Clouds didn’t clear over the central or western basin on Tuesday, although they did clear over the eastern basin and showed some cracks in the ice, but no large openings. There appeared to be a discernable opening in the ice along the SE MI shoreline, but it was hard to tell for sure. Nothing in the central basin between the islands and Lake County was really visible on Tuesday, which is unfortunate.

A cold front will swing through Wednesday evening. Moisture depth is limited with this feature and it won’t be cold enough for lake enhancement, so I expect snows with the front to be limited to an inch or less.

post-525-0-05312300-1423641822_thumb.png

Behind the front, WNW to NW winds will develop and a fairly deep layer of conditionally unstable lapse rates will develop as colder air pours in. The winds could be better aligned, but directional shear doesn’t appear to be more than 30 degrees. Inversions on the Tuesday evening runs of the GFS and NAM rise to around 7k feet behind the cold front overnight Wednesday night with high RH air to about that level. With a WNW to NW wind and moisture pooling ahead of another surface trough beginning to drop across Lake Erie from the north early Thursday, along with some low-level moisture from Lake Michigan in this timeframe, a combination of frictional convergence along the central lakeshore and orographic lift in the higher terrain from eastern Cuyahoga County eastward through Geauga County and also in NW PA could cause light to moderate snow showers to redevelop Wednesday night behind the cold front as colder and more humid air filters in. Synoptic convergence caused by the surface trough dropping down late Wednesday night into Thursday morning should be maximized for a couple or few hours along the Lake Erie shoreline into the Snowbelt. This could all cause another 2-3” of snow overnight Wednesday night into Thursday morning in the higher terrain in eastern Cuyahoga and Geauga Counties and NW PA, with less in the lower terrain…maybe an inch or so with the trough passage.

post-525-0-77659000-1423641904_thumb.png

Behind this trough, there could be a brief disruption in any snow due to increased wind shear. However, by later Thursday morning into Thursday afternoon, winds become pretty well aligned out of the NW with inversion heights of 6-8k feet, and high RH air to above 700mb. This could allow very high ratio orographic lift snow to redevelop for a few hours, especially in eastern Cuyahoga and Geauga and inland NW PA, although with a more true NW wind by this point the higher terrain in southern Cuyahoga/NE Medina/NW Summit could see some orographic lift snow too. With another surface trough dropping through late Thursday afternoon, there could also be enough synoptic lift and moisture for light snow showers to break out again elsewhere and to help any orographic lift snows in the higher terrain. Given how high ratio this snow looks to be (I could see ratios of 30:1 or better for a time late Thursday morning and early Thursday afternoon before it starts getting cold enough to limit dendritic growth) I could see how the higher terrain in eastern Cuyahoga and especially Geauga and NW PA see another 2-3” or snow from this “phase” of the event…with maybe 1-2” in the higher terrain in the secondary Snowbelt and an inch or less elsewhere.

post-525-0-96655100-1423641888_thumb.png

Behind the late Thursday afternoon trough passage, the air mass does really dry out and inversion heights lower. With so much ice on Lake Erie, things will probably die down to just flurries pretty quickly Thursday evening outside of a possible Lake Huron connection in Ashtabula County or NW PA, where perhaps another couple inches or so could still fall Thursday evening through early Friday.

This all does add up to potentially 4-6” of snow in the higher terrain of Geauga County and potentially eastern Cuyahoga County…with perhaps a little more in NW PA if a Lake Huron connection can develop…perhaps 2-4” in the higher terrain in the secondary Snowbelt, and about 2” or snow in the rest of the Cleveland metro at lower elevations…spread out over the course of 24-30 hours. Given how dry/high ratio the snow will be, this isn’t a huge impact and probably not enough for an advisory, except for maybe NW PA if the Huron connection does pan out.

post-525-0-98346400-1423641936_thumb.png

As for model support...the NMM and ARW, along with the 4km NAM runs both do spit out 0.2-0.35” of QPF in the higher terrain of the Snowbelt. With high ratios, that does fluff out to about the numbers I laid out above, although it isn’t extremely exciting. Given the extensive ice on Lake Erie and only limited upstream lake help in NE Ohio, and a lack of better synoptic lift through the “event”, I don’t see a ton of potential for this to really over-perform and produce a surprise 6-8” in less than 12 hours like the 1/30/15 event did in parts of Geauga County and also eastern Ashtabula County into NW PA. However, I can see how the orographic lift snows produce half inch per hour rates for a few hours at a time given what should be enough moisture due to the synoptic moisture pooling with the troughs, a little upstream lake moisture, and a little moisture from Lake Erie and high ratios. This does support a few inches or so possibly falling over the course of 24 hours or so. If the 12km NAM or any SREF members were spitting out over a quarter inch of QPF, I would potentially get more excited, as that would indicate fairly decent moisture and lift even with the icy lake…and the courser resolution would mean a likely low-ball of the QPF. But as is, the 12km NAM generally spits out 0.1-0.25” of QPF across most of northern OH, with the highest over northern Geauga County…no SREF members Tuesday evening spat out more than 0.25” of QPF in a 24 hour period with the event, which is also a turnoff for overperformance potential.  

post-525-0-24234900-1423641962_thumb.png

I'll be very curious to see what the lake can contribute in this type of frozen set up. Then again after last week's snow blitz, a few inches over the next day or so hardly seems noteworthy.

With the arctic blast this weekend, I'd imagine most holes in Lake Erie will have frozen solid again.

The storm on the 17th seems very interesting.

Nice disco and forecast OHWeather. It will be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully we can establish a huron connection over the weekend. Winds definitely come around northerly enough to bring a band in the CLE area.

Next week's storm is very interesting. Surprised CLE actually mentioned it in their disco. Not sold on a huge NW shift with the cold high bullying the storm to the east. Granted we were on the northern edge of guidance with the last storm, and wound up on the southern edge of the heaviest snows so anything can happen. At least we'll have a large synoptic storm to track the next few days.

There are a fair number of snow showers over lower MI ahead of the surface trough, so we'll see if orographic lift and frictional convergence can help the Snowbelt squeeze out a couple inches or so later tonight into tomorrow morning ahead of and with the passage of the trough. Behind it we'll see if any moisture can be picked up off of the icy lake and ringed out over the higher terrain.

This weekend's cold looks heavy duty and could rival temperatures from last winter's bigger cold shots.

It looks like there was a little orographic lift over Geauga County as the trough went by, but it didn't last that long. The best moisture with the trough went a little farther southwest, with Millersburg picking up 2" in an hour and New London picking up 3.5" overnight. The first visible shot of the day shows a nice crack east of the islands, which corresponds to a consistent area of heavier echoes on radar on the far west side.

The RAP shows another increase in low to mid level RH and winds becoming better aligned later this morning as another little trough slips through. We'll see if that helps get orographic lift snows going again or not. The snow on the west side shows that this would've been a decent setup...with an open lake.

Just a dusting IMBY. Looks like some enhanced orographic snows in the secondary snow belt this morning.

Last year's cold snap happened in early January when the lake was still mostly ice free and resulted in a rapid freeze up. I'd imagine this cold snap, occurring with a lake that's already 90% iced over, might result in temperatures a bit colder than modeled, particularly for coastal areas. The satellite shots of Erie next week should be quite impressive.

I would like a good 2-3" of fresh powder to clean up the snow pack. It still looks pretty grim out there. At least it looks like quite a bit of opportunity over the next few weeks.

1.2" overnight. We'll see what today brings. I'm almost willing to bet ice spans shore to shore in the Central basin at this point. Outside of the crack that forms east of the western basin there just isn't any signficant open water.

That appears to be correct. There is a crack along the north shore, but it's maybe 5-10 miles wide. Other than that, the central basin is essentially frozen. The winds also went almost due N this morning, which hits the shoreline in the secondary Snowbelt at a somewhat better angle than the primary Snowbelt, which may also help to explain why the heavier snow is there (along with the crack in the ice east of the islands). Cloud tops on IR have cooled over the last 45 minutes or so along the central and eastern lakeshore so we'll see if orographic lift snow can pick back up or not...it's not extremely encouraging that skies are clear over the northern half of the lake.

post-525-0-59206700-1423751529_thumb.png

The record low at CLE on Sunday is one of the warmer for February at -4. That seems to be pretty much a lock at this point to be broken.

CLE still needs 20" more snow this season to hit normal, which means we actually have to get 30" to hit normal based on airport measuring techniques.

The record low at CLE on Sunday is one of the warmer for February at -4. That seems to be pretty much a lock at this point to be broken.

CLE still needs 20" more snow this season to hit normal, which means we actually have to get 30" to hit normal based on airport measuring techniques.

:lol:

Most models show lows of -5 to -10 Sunday morning just on cold air advection in the NNW flow, which would be very impressive. Last year's biggest cold shots both came in from the SW and went around the Great Lakes and didn't get a chance to modify...the one this weekend will come in on a NNW flow so there may be some modification from the upstream lakes...but with a frozen Lake Erie, a deep snow pack in northern OH and upstream, and some ice on the other lakes it might not be much modification.

The GFS shows highs on Sunday struggling to get above 0. I think that'll be hard unless you stay mostly cloudy through the day. With 850mb temps of -26 to -30C during the day on the models, I guess it would be possible if that actually verifies. With high pressure moving overhead Sunday night you could have a clear/calm night, which we didn't have during the coldest nights last winter. With a decent snow pack that could mean a hard drop...I could easily see rural locations getting to -15 to -20F Sunday night, with even the CLE and CAK corridor getting to -10 if no high clouds move in.

Snow has picked up in Chagrin. Looks like a dust storm with the snow being so fine. Inversion must be really low as well... sun keeps peaking through. Old/dirty snow has been covered though.

Been snowing here in Solon...visibilities are reduced due to snow and blowing snow.  Wind trajectory is a little more west of north bringing the snow here.  Air is very dry though making accumulations less than they seem when looking outside into reduced visibilities.

Looks like CLE waved the white towel on next weeks potential --

.LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/... THING WILL BE WARMING AT THE START OF THE PERIOD WITH HIGHS ON
MONDAY GETTING WITHIN 20 DEGREES OF NORMAL MOST AREAS.  FORTUNATELY IT LOOKS LIKE WINDS WILL BE FAIRLY LIGHT WITH HIGH PRESSURE RIGHT OVERHEAD.  HAVE MADE SOME SIGNIFICANT CHANGES TO THE MONDAY NIGHT
INTO WEDNESDAY PERIOD.  BOTH THE 12Z GFS AND ECMWF HAVE THE LOCAL AREA UNDER AN AREA OF SUBSIDENCE BETWEEN SYSTEMS TO THE NORTH AND SOUTH MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY.  SOME LIGHT SNOW COULD SNEAK INTO
THE SOUTHERN END OF THE AREA DURING THE DAY BUT HAVE REMOVED ALL MENTION FROM THE NORTH.  SLIGHTLY BETTER CHANCES FOR SNOW EXIST TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY...ESPECIALLY IN THE EAST WHERE THE EFFECTS AND MOISTURE FROM THE LATEST STORM MOVING UP THE EAST COAST WILL BE MOST FELT. 
THINGS WILL DRY OUT BEHIND THIS SYSTEM AND DO NOT THINK THERE WILL BE MUCH LAKE EFFECT WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY.  TUESDAY WILL BE THE WARMEST DAY OF THE PERIOD WITH HIGHS PERHAPS MAKING THE MID 20S BUT THE REMAINDER OF THE PERIOD WILL BE VERY COLD.

Looks like CLE waved the white towel on next weeks potential --

.LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/... THING WILL BE WARMING AT THE START OF THE PERIOD WITH HIGHS ON

MONDAY GETTING WITHIN 20 DEGREES OF NORMAL MOST AREAS.  FORTUNATELY IT LOOKS LIKE WINDS WILL BE FAIRLY LIGHT WITH HIGH PRESSURE RIGHT OVERHEAD.  HAVE MADE SOME SIGNIFICANT CHANGES TO THE MONDAY NIGHT

INTO WEDNESDAY PERIOD.  BOTH THE 12Z GFS AND ECMWF HAVE THE LOCAL AREA UNDER AN AREA OF SUBSIDENCE BETWEEN SYSTEMS TO THE NORTH AND SOUTH MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY.  SOME LIGHT SNOW COULD SNEAK INTO

THE SOUTHERN END OF THE AREA DURING THE DAY BUT HAVE REMOVED ALL MENTION FROM THE NORTH.  SLIGHTLY BETTER CHANCES FOR SNOW EXIST TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY...ESPECIALLY IN THE EAST WHERE THE EFFECTS AND MOISTURE FROM THE LATEST STORM MOVING UP THE EAST COAST WILL BE MOST FELT.  THINGS WILL DRY OUT BEHIND THIS SYSTEM AND DO NOT THINK THERE WILL BE MUCH LAKE EFFECT WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY.  TUESDAY WILL BE THE WARMEST DAY OF THE PERIOD WITH HIGHS PERHAPS MAKING THE MID 20S BUT THE REMAINDER OF THE PERIOD WILL BE VERY COLD.

Right now it may look like we will be whiffed to the south, but this year, modeled storms have had a tendency to creep NW from where they were originally modeled to go.  Lack of blocking may help us out.  Depends on how this weekend's New England storm affects subsequent ridging off the East Coast.  Don't want Boston stealing our snow.  Lol!   :devilsmiley:

Right now it may look like we will be whiffed to the south, but this year, modeled storms have had a tendency to creep NW from where they were originally modeled to go.  Lack of blocking may help us out.  Depends on how this weekend's New England storm affects subsequent ridging off the East Coast.  Don't want Boston stealing our snow.  Lol!   :devilsmiley:

Still plenty of time. Not feeling this one with every piece of guidance heading south east. That low to the north amongst other things isn't helping things. Hopefully the lack of blocking will help... We'll have to see how things come together over the weekend.

...Got about .3" of snow last night here in Chesterland.  WOW!!!

OHweather, what do you think about Saturday's event?

I think a few inches of snow is a pretty good bet.

There's pretty good upper jet support and some isentropic lift in the WAA ahead of the cold front late Friday night into early Saturday, so that will probably result in a few hours of light to moderate synoptic snow to start the day Saturday, and that could be 1-3" for most areas.

The potential appears to be decent for a snow squall along the arctic front around noon give or take on Saturday (regardless of lake influence). The NAM/GFS both advertise a deep layer of steep lapse rates along the front with a period of very strong omega in the DGZ. That could produce another inch or two in quick order. So, I think a lot of areas could see a 2-4" or so synoptic snowfall through Saturday morning.

The lake effect is tougher. MODIS imagery from this afternoon confirmed what GOES visible imagery confirmed this morning, there is a crack just east of the islands and then along the northern shore that's maybe 10 miles wide, but elsewhere any cracks look small. So, moisture picked up off of the lake will probably be minimal. With strong north-northwesterly winds on Saturday the ice may move a little, but I doubt there's any more open water than today. Behind the front, the layer of steep lapse rates and moisture is fairly deep until Saturday evening, so I'd imagine that orographic lift snows may be better than they were late this morning and this afternoon, but still probably not too heavy. It will get cold enough by later Saturday to limit snow growth meaning likely just very fine flakes.

The models appear to get the winds around to a NNW direction by Saturday evening which could bring some Huron moisture as far west as Lake/Geauga Counties which may add a little bit there...however, snow growth will be minimal that point due to the cold and the airmass will be really starting to dry out Saturday evening and beyond, so with a mostly frozen Lake Erie I doubt there are heavy amounts even under any Huron connection.

I could see the lake effect adding another 1-2" in the higher terrain mostly for a 3-6" snow in the Snowbelt and 2-4" elsewhere. If the orographic lift is more impressive or the Huron band is more impressive than I'm thinking then I suppose it's possible that some lucky spot gets over 6", but I don't think that will be widespread.

The snow early Saturday will be very high ratio and wind gusts Saturday afternoon behind the front could be pushing 40MPH at times, so I think conditions will be very rough much of Saturday. Even though amounts aren't great, a winter weather advisory could easily be issued and due to the potential for fairly extensive blowing snow and significant visibility reductions with any snow squalls along the front, I could even make an argument for a winter storm warning for the higher terrain in the Snowbelt where somewhat more snow looks to fall...but we'll see what CLE does.

Hit 1 degree IMBY. Definitely a bit of lakeshore influence.

I'm hoping tomorrow over performs, snow pack in my area still looks pretty ugly. 2-4" of powder would really freshen things up.

I think officially CLE went down to a trace for a few days in January, but I (and everyone else) has had solid snow over since the beginning of January. We might actually see a 2 month continual stretch with snow on the ground.

Hit 1 degree IMBY. Definitely a bit of lakeshore influence.

I'm hoping tomorrow over performs, snow pack in my area still looks pretty ugly. 2-4" of powder would really freshen things up.

I think officially CLE went down to a trace for a few days in January, but I (and everyone else) has had solid snow over since the beginning of January. We might actually see a 2 month continual stretch with snow on the ground.

Seems like a lock at this point. The crazy thing is that the ground beneath the snow imby is soft. Never froze prior to the snow cover. Hoping tomorrow over delivers. 2-3" seems like a good call.

Hopefully we get a good MODIS shot this afternoon as there are just thin high clouds, so the lake should be pretty visible. Would be helpful. With a NW wind with high inversions and RH's behind the front, the lake effect would probably lead to blizzard conditions were the lake more open. As is it could still be fun for a few hours up there...and even down here looks squally with the arctic front.

GOES imagery shows a bigger crack than yesterday, possibly due to the gusty NW winds yesterday, and there could be a little more shifting tonight into tomorrow.

Hopefully we get a good MODIS shot this afternoon as there are just thin high clouds, so the lake should be pretty visible. Would be helpful. With a NW wind with high inversions and RH's behind the front, the lake effect would probably lead to blizzard conditions were the lake more open. As is it could still be fun for a few hours up there...and even down here looks squally with the arctic front.

GOES imagery shows a bigger crack than yesterday, possibly due to the gusty NW winds yesterday, and there could be a little more shifting tonight into tomorrow.

Some high clouds... but you get the picture. The ice has compacted but it's probably maxed out in terms of compaction. Who knows... LES always holds some suprises.

post-1277-0-01995900-1423852718_thumb.pn

I'm amazed that last night's temps didnt re-freeze those open areas. That water is 32 degrees, surely by Monday morning the lake will be shore to shore ice.

I'm optimistic for tomorrow. SREF plumes, for what they're worth, show decent precip. Perhaps the lake will contribute more than modeled. I don't think the models handle these odd events with ample ice cover all that well. Could be some surprises that bust good or bad.

Sunday looks interesting. We might fall below zero by midnight Saturday so there's a chance we stay below zero all day Sunday. Could be one of the coldest days in quite some time, even surpassing last winter which saw the lowest max of 4 degrees.

Looking at MODIS imagery, those open areas do appear to be somewhat slushy. With breezy SW winds tonight into early tomorrow, and then strong and shifting winds tomorrow afternoon I do think some open water will reappear. There's a long but very thin W-E crack extending from north of Amherst east all the way up the eastern shore a few miles out. With the SW winds tonight and room for the ice to shift northeast thanks to the open water along the Canadian shore, it will very very interesting to see if that crack can widen.

I'm fairly surprised there's no advisory from Cleveland. I think an area-wide 2-4" of snow is a good bet with another 1-2" at least from lake effect in the higher terrain. It's not the most snow, but there's a very good signal for a couple hours of very squally weather with the arctic front with blinding snow showers and 40MPH wind gusts, which by itself is almost enough for an advisory. Behind the front, with a very deep layer of steep lapse rates and good ambient moisture, any moisture from upstream lakes or from Lake Erie that makes it onshore and hits the terrain could cause continued squalls through a good portion of the afternoon with gusty winds.

Even into tomorrow evening, moisture is still OK and there could be some orographic lift snows, and Lake Huron moisture could still drift as far west as parts of Lake and Geauga Counties tomorrow night.

Flake size will be very small by later tomorrow due to the cold, but with the wind the fine flakes could cause very poor visibilities to continue in the higher terrain clear into tomorrow evening. I could honestly see areas from Lorain and Medina Counties points east (especially in the higher terrain) seeing hours (from late morning straight through the afternoon and potentially into the evening in a few spots) of visibilities below half a mile and gusty winds. Even if the higher terrain only gets 4-6" or so of snow, the prolonged potential for very poor conditions would honestly prompt me to issue a warning from Lorain and Medina east through the Snowbelt if I was sitting in that chair today and had that ability. But, I'm not, so I could be off base. At the very least an advisory seems prudent.

I tend to agree with you OHweather. Many times advisories get issued once an event has begun and it looks bad. But at that point, it's not very advising. It's best to let people know they need a head's up.

The problem is that 2-4" of snow with wind and temps falling below zero is completely different than 2-4" of snow at 32 and calm winds which is different than 2-4" of gentle lake effect fluff, which is different than 2-4" of synoptic snow at 22 degrees from a bombing low. General public just sees a snowfall total and makes a judgment based on that without realizing that accumulation doesnt equal impact of the snowfall.

I'm fairly surprised there's no advisory from Cleveland. I think an area-wide 2-4" of snow is a good bet with another 1-2" at least from lake effect in the higher terrain. It's not the most snow, but there's a very good signal for a couple hours of very squally weather with the arctic front with blinding snow showers and 40MPH wind gusts, which by itself is almost enough for an advisory. Behind the front, with a very deep layer of steep lapse rates and good ambient moisture, any moisture from upstream lakes or from Lake Erie that makes it onshore and hits the terrain could cause continued squalls through a good portion of the afternoon with gusty winds.

Flake size will be very small by later tomorrow due to the cold, but with the wind the fine flakes could cause very poor visibilities to continue in the higher terrain clear into tomorrow evening. I could honestly see areas from Lorain and Medina Counties points east (especially in the higher terrain) seeing hours (from late morning straight through the afternoon and potentially into the evening in a few spots) of visibilities below half a mile and gusty winds. Even if the higher terrain only gets 4-6" or so of snow, the prolonged potential for very poor conditions would honestly prompt me to issue a warning from Lorain and Medina east through the Snowbelt if I was sitting in that chair today and had that ability. But, I'm not, so I could be off base. At the very least an advisory seems prudent.

As you guys know, the Cleveland NWS seems to be averse (being nice here) to issuing winter weather warnings.  I remember when the March 2008 snowstorm was approaching/occurring, all of Ohio was under a blizzard warning except for the Cleveland CWA which stuck to winter storm warnings.

...Funny how northern IN and western NY are under a winter weather advisory, winter storm warning respectively.  For Cleveland, only a wind chill warning. Surprised they issued a warning as it would be in keeping with their style to issue just a wind chill advisory.

I'm really puzzled as to why CLE is always lowballing winter events (exception being the 2012 Boxing Day storm when CLE issued a blizzard warning...I was shocked at that.).