• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2014-15 Discussion

Forecast is all over the place from tuesday night onwards(except xmas day which still sounds balmy blah!). Man I tell you this has been one dreary drizzly/rainy month! I feel like a vampire not getting much sun lately lol. Christmas eve sounds cold enough though. I guess like Wx has stated I will just sit back and wait things out, hopefully we get some cold air in place and some darn snow!!!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember all those ice storms jomo! I was living in osceola missouri during that time(st.clair county). Those were not fun! That one storm is the one that knocked our power out for a whole damn week if its the one I remember! I have pics burried somewhere on the external drive. Was awesome to look at but not fun to deal with!

Now that I look back at those pics, 07 and 08 were crazy winters up that way in missouri!! Too bad we lived in the stix 9 miles outside of a small town and when power went out, welp we were the last to get it back on haha...not funny then but I can look back and laugh now.

Yeah, those were some doozy ice storms. Hopefully we don't have to deal with anything like that again any time soon. I, for one, will be happy to see the sun on Christmas. Then we can turn our attention to the upcoming storminess. The weekend system is starting to grab my attention a bit. 

Yeah, those were some doozy ice storms. Hopefully we don't have to deal with anything like that again any time soon. I, for one, will be happy to see the sun on Christmas. Then we can turn our attention to the upcoming storminess. The weekend system is starting to grab my attention a bit. 

12z PGFS says this for the weekend:

pgfssun28.png

12z Euro is farther west with the mix/snow out in central KS, but it's trying to phase a system to our south a little later. 

Interesting run still going.....

EDIT: What a major flip-flop on the Euro. Now has an eastern trough and massive cold dump.

Yea maybe after midnight here also, 38 right now here. Maybe in the morning some snow too, I will GLADLY take this lol. In case I'm not on here later this week....Merry Christmas to all of you and happy holidays! :santa:

A journey to deep seasonal snow totals starts with a few flakes. :-) I don't think I will be staying up all night for this little dusting but it's a start finally.

I will probably peek in here periodically throughout the next few days since there's a chance for more winter precip in the days after Christmas but if I don't, I hope you have a merry Christmas as well and also a merry Christmas to everyone else.

The merriest of Christmases to all of you!

For me, the transcendence of Christmas is rooted in the appreciation of tradition and ritual. The virtuous impulse to recognize where we came from and who we are while surrounded by the people and places that largely shaped that story.

While an idyllic, snow-laden Christmas is a beautiful gift, it's not really a part of my tradition. I think back on Christmases of yesteryear and recall the steely-cold of dawn against the sleeping plains, the sound of the sun-drenched winds through the old post oaks in the front yard. That's Christmas around here, and it is full of grace and beauty.

I can't argue with that at all westhope. In fact one of my worst Christmases was the one where we got dumped on with a massive snow. My family from Nebraska couldn't make it down and we had a total of five people here. The snow was awesome though!

Merry Christmas everyone! It is about to turn cold again next week. 

12z GFS went back to dumping a system out west. There would probably be periodic snowfalls for our area as weak impulses eject out of it. It does appear the only thing certain right now is that it will be getting really cold. Texas gets hammered. 

I tried to stay away, but my weather model addiction got the best of me and I had to look.

It looks like the 12z Euro still has the trough digging into the west, pushing the colder air into the west and central US.

ecmwf_z500a_us_6.png

It leaves an upper low behind over the CA/AZ area:

ecmwf_z500a_us_8.png

This system gets kicked out by approaching upstream energy.... Now the timing is a bit off.... but this would probably be a pretty big storm if we can get some phasing and the timing was different. This needs to be watched closely. As it stands now there would be a risk of some frozen precip on the NW side of the system, however temps are hovering on the line because the first cold air surge has had time to warm a bit, plus there is an upstream system dumping another huge chunk of Arctic air down the Plains and into the west.

ecmwf_z500a_us_10.png

The run ends with possibly the next system taking shape over CA:

ecmwf_z500a_us_11.png

Nice stuff JoMo. I hope it materializes. I couldn't stay away either. Hope that happens. I just can't get very excited about much at the moment. Unless it is in the day 3 range. Not going to be depressing today though!! Hope everyone is having an awesome Christmas!!

Archived