• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2014-15 Discussion

12z Euro goes big snowy with the second system starting Friday the 19th.

Yeah, I was going to ask about that. Is the .125° the operational euro or not? It looks like a pretty awesome storm on there and the control has it but the ensembles are barely showing anything except maybe 3 or 4 members. What's up with that?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I was going to ask about that. Is the .125° the operational euro or not? It looks like a pretty awesome storm on there and the control has it but the ensembles are barely showing anything except maybe 3 or 4 members. What's up with that?

Yeah the 0.125 is the Hires Euro. 12z Control and Ensembles don't finish until around 2:45 or so.

Yeah the 0.125 is the Hires Euro. 12z Control and Ensembles don't finish until around 2:45 or so.

Ok. Thanks. I was just curious. It h as been showing some pretty good snow for a little while now. Just need it to go a little further south and west.

Nope, the Canadian changed. The Euro will change as well, still a long way away. 

It's a shame the individual ensemble members had some kind of issue today. I would have liked to see how many had next weeks system and what they did with it.

Things are definitely looking better, all the ensembles from the 3 major models are pointing towards the same general pattern and what we want to see to get colder air in here, it still looks like an active southern stream. I'm pretty excited to see the weeklies and pretty interested in the Christmas to New Years period as well. 

I know :( But from what I gather from reading on other forums, Week 3 and 4 look really good with ridging up into Alaska or NW Canada.

That look almost always means really cold for us. Should be in line with the SSW event recently.

Looks like we may be headed for a solidly negative AO going into January and if the euro is to be believed at this time, the cold will fall on the right side of the globe this time. Maybe a trough west/ridge east type scenario. Who knows. Looks like it will be a fun stretch though.

Thanks Snowman99....Just looking at the weeklies now....

It's nice to see a return of the blue colors. Starting around the 23rd or 24th, 850 MB temps are below normal almost the entire run.

It does look more like a western trough kind of setup the farther we go out in time. There's ridging over Alaska and over the top that's apparent,which is great.  The control run does keep the active look. yay winter is saved.

yeah I saw the 12z Euro individual ensemble members filled in. Many of them have snow close to our area over the next 15 days. 00z GEM has snow back across KS in the next 10 days, which was much different than it's 12z run. 

EDIT: 00z Euro still has the storm next week, but it has shifted farther north into Kansas Some areas may end up getting dumped on in Nebraska, NW KS and Colorado from both systems.

12z Euro control run looks similar to the OP for next Fridayish. Still a bit of spread in the individual ensemble members, but many of them do show 'snow' around the area. The high number of individual ensemble members showing a snow covered Plains makes temps below normal for a few days after the system passes. Looks like the cold air starts building over the west and western Canada by around Christmas. 

The ridge that leads to the 'pattern change' builds into the NE Pacific and GOA around the 23rd, so it is getting closer and not constantly staying in the 15 day time range. Not quite sure it's going to be as far west at the Euro thinks as the Euro does have a west bias. 

Everything is still on schedule according to the 00z Euro ensemble. NE PAC/GOA ridging starts entering the picture around the 23rd. Below normal air starts building in the west and NW Canada shortly after that. Anything we get before the colder air reaches us will be a bonus and will have to work with stale 'cool' air. Still interested in the time between Christmas and New Years for something interesting.

12z Euro ensembles are looking great. When the Ensemble mean shows a massive ridge with little spread up into Alaska that's a pretty good signal that the Arctic will be visiting the US, it probably won't reach here until after Christmas, but the issue will be how far east it makes it and how fast it makes it here. 

Still a pretty considerable spread in the ensemble members over the next 10 days on where any frozen precip will be over the central US. Fun times ahead.

More or less a train wreck still. Hoping they can start narrowing things down soon. I hate that every run it seems like the snow is shrinking and moving east. I'm glad that all of the models now see cold air in the longer ranges. I take it all as mixed news for today.

From the QPF disco...

PLAINS/MIDWEST/MS VALLEY TOWARD THE APPALACHIANS...

CONSIDERABLE SPREAD REGARDING THE TRAJECTORY AND STRUCTURE OF THE
SMALL SCALE UPPER LOW EXITING THE SOUTHWEST REMAINS PRESENT WITHIN
THE GUIDANCE...WITH CONVECTION OVER THE LOWER-MID MS VALLEY LIKELY
AFFECTING THE INFLUX OF MOISTURE/INSTABILITY INTO THE
CYCLONE...AND WELL AS CONSIDERABLE UNCERTAINTY REMAINING WITH THE
INITIAL CONDITIONS OF SHORTWAVE TROUGHS OVER THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST
AND NORTHWEST CANADA (NUNAVUT) THAT ARE LIKELY TO INFLUENCE THE
PATH OF THE LOW CROSSING THE PLAINS.  GENERALLY EXCLUDED THE 12Z
NAM DUE TO ITS DISTANT PROXIMITY FROM THE MODEL CONSENSUS BOTH
DAYS...WHILE A PREFERRED SOLUTION CLOSEST TO THE 00Z ECMWF
ENSEMBLE MEAN IS PREFERRED WITH SOME INCLUSION OF THE 00Z ECMWF
AND 12Z PARALLEL GFS USED FOR DETAIL.  HOWEVER...CONFIDENCE IN