• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The ideal New England winter home (for maximum snow experience)

Radders

Well when you add up every dusting as half an inch like Pete does, it makes it sound like Mt Mansfield.

I just don't see where 1300ft vs 1000ft would make *that* much of a difference unless there's some larger orographics in play, especially when Mike is a little further north near the VT border.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't see where 1300ft vs 1000ft would make *that* much of a difference unless there's some larger orographics in play, especially when Mike is a little further north near the VT border.

it's a huge difference. I have been to both places. The east side down there in the Berkshire is pretty amazing climo wise, even Chris in Greenfield can attest to micro climates. Where Mike lives and where Berkshire East is the differences are pretty drastic sometimes, Pete's Glen is visible from the Beast.

it's a huge difference. I have been to both places. The east side down there in the Berkshire is pretty amazing climo wise, even Chris in Greenfield can attest to micro climates. Where Mike lives and where Berkshire East is the differences are pretty drastic sometimes, Pete's Glen is visible from the Beast.

Interesting, ill have to play with google earth...New England is full of micro-climates, what do you think makes them different? Topography favored better orographics at Pete's or something? I thought Mike was east slope too?

Interesting, ill have to play with google earth...New England is full of micro-climates, what do you think makes them different? Topography favored better orographics at Pete's or something? I thought Mike was east slope too?

definitely topographic. Last year on a trip in Dec the car thermometer was 50s but dropped to 30s on the east slope then quickly rose again.

Reviving an old thread and maybe a bit off topic but...

What are opinions on the Monadnock Region of NH? Not necessarily for the ideal snowy 'vacation' home but something within striking distance of Boston.

I'm probably a few years away from this but my ultimate goal is to be working in the BOS area 2-3 days per week max and spend the rest of my time at another flexible job in Nashua. These are 2 places I already have jobs with so its not as elusive as it sounds, haha.

Any especially good towns in SW NH area for snow? Perhaps more importantly, any known screw zones? Id have to say I'm more familiar with the nuances of central/whites and even far north when it comes to NH than I am with the local climates of the Monadnock region.

I know decent parts of Dublin and Jaffrey are 1,000-1,500+. Ive only really been through that area once in the winter and remember an exponential increase in snowpack right around the MA/NH state line in the Mason area on up. That data point hardly means anything though, I dont recall what we had had for storms recently in the region at that time. Retention is still a bit of a concern for me, I will have to pay closer attention to obs this coming winter but I feel like AFN mixes out and blowtorches sometimes 12+ hours before ASH (and sometimes ASH never mixes out and sits in the mid 30s while high elevations blow torch).

I know snowfall is not what it is further north but I'm looking for good "striking distance" from Boston, not interested in a 2-5 hr ride every time I wanna get to a winter wonderland. Someday Id maybe spring for something in the Pittsburg to Carabassett realm but its just not realistic to "commute" a few days a week to metro BOS.

Id love to hear from anyone that knows the climo of the area or has any comments at all. Im starting to loosely think of towns to consider. Id consider areas just north too up towards Antrim, Stoddard and Hillsborough but those kind of strike me as screw zones from the little Ive seen.

I'd check out Harrisville. I know some people who have a place at 1,500 feet near Silver Lake and they do very well. It's a great rural SW NH town that has plenty of elevation along with lakes and woods. It's a classic old school NH town without the long drive north. In general, I like the Monadnocks region of NH a lot as it feels a lot more like central or northern NH than southern NH, even though it's just over the NH/MA line. You will not find that overbuilt suburbia subdivision feel like in the I-93 towns south of Manchester. I've come to refer to this area as "Mass Hampshire".

Dublin is also a great little town and it sits at the crest near 1,500 feet. Dublin is probably more accessible than Harrisville though since it is traversed by NH-101. I remember driving through there from west to east on 101 this past winter and the snow pack increased a lot heading east from Keene toward Dublin. I think Dublin is a bit pricier than some of the other towns in that vicinity though. Definitely avoid places like Keene or Winchester as they downslope off the Monadnocks to the east and the Greens to the west.

Didn't read this entire thread, but wish it were around when I built my cabin.

I actually agree with Kev, that Jackson, NH is a great location. While it might not have elevation, it's got a lot of elevation around it and the views are some of the best in New England, not to mention a great small town atmosphere with lots of attractions nearby.

I had actually considered it as well as western Maine and central Vermont, but settled on the southern White Mountain region mainly due to location and traffic considerations. I can get door to door in 90 minutes. Also, the location I chose is close to 3 major ski areas and it even has it's own ski area (http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/NewHampshire/camptonmtn.php) perfect for my kids who are 10 and 7. The community also has a lot of amenities and a community center. The only thing that sucks are the taxes. It's NH, what can I say. But I built the place myself for peanuts during the downturn ($100k for a cabin that sleeps 14 not including the couches).

It's also got a north view of the White Mountains and sits at 1100' elevation. While it only averages about 100" of snow, it's often getting snow when it's dripping rain in Lowell. 

post-1709-0-70772700-1414520439_thumb.jp

Didn't read this entire thread, but wish it were around when I built my cabin.

I actually agree with Kev, that Jackson, NH is a great location. While it might not have elevation, it's got a lot of elevation around it and the views are some of the best in New England, not to mention a great small town atmosphere with lots of attractions nearby.

I had actually considered it as well as western Maine and central Vermont, but settled on the southern White Mountain region mainly due to location and traffic considerations. I can get door to door in 90 minutes. Also, the location I chose is close to 3 major ski areas and it even has it's own ski area (http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/NewHampshire/camptonmtn.php) perfect for my kids who are 10 and 7. The community also has a lot of amenities and a community center. The only thing that sucks are the taxes. It's NH, what can I say. But I built the place myself for peanuts during the downturn ($100k for a cabin that sleeps 14 not including the couches).

It's also got a north view of the White Mountains and sits at 1100' elevation. While it only averages about 100" of snow, it's often getting snow when it's dripping rain in Lowell. 

Nice house. That's pretty similar to what I'm thinking of putting on the lot I just obtained up at 2,230' in the S VT town of Stamford either next year or in 2016. Thornton does well with CAD, so I bet that 100" average sticks around pretty good, yielding some nice snow packs. Plymouth just down the road is probably in the low to mid 80s, and with the CAD, the winters there were definitely for real. Thornton is even better.

While the lot in S VT lacks latitude (I'll be equivalent with Haverhill or Merrimac, MA), the elevation should hopefully compensate for it by helping with upslope and keeping things cold in marginal events. S VT doesn't CAD that much though compared to C or N NH. Regardless, I'm looking forward to my first winter in a place where the average is probably 110-120".

Thanks for the comments. 

Two main reasons the cabin was built on the cheap. First, I bought the land ($9k for 1 ac lot) and cabin kit ($57k) when the market was in the ****ter. I also did all the work myself and with help of friends and family. I even did my own footings, excavation, septic, structural. In Thornton they don't even have a building inspector, so didn't have to pull any permits other than septic and wood stove. They take the "live free or die" pretty seriously.

Best part of it is weekends like this upcoming one where I'll often leave Lowell in rain and seeing the changeover on the ride up and welcomed with accumulating snows on the deck. 

I'm too cheap to get internet up there but if I do, I plan on installing a webcam and the Davis so I can vicariously be there.

Nice place Marko

As far as Mass goes, mainly N. ORH CNTY, My new living quarters are located on W. Princeton Rd on the dirt road that runs parallel on the backside of Wachusett Mtn. I'm at 1233' and the area is know for it's own micro-climate if you will. Should be an interesting Winter for me. Plus being 1.5mi from the entrance to the mountain is a bonus working there again this season as a Ranger. 

Archived