• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
DC Urban Heat Island

Deck Pic

From last Sunday evening. Not saying the therm was accurate other than as compared against itself. Very little traffic, so shouldn't have affected things much.

Connecticut and East-West Highway

post-66-0-00101900-1401400790_thumb.jpg

Connecticut and Military Rd.

post-66-0-11914900-1401400791_thumb.jpg

Dupont Circle

post-66-0-05443100-1401400792_thumb.jpg

McPherson Square

post-66-0-73147400-1401400792_thumb.jpg

Downtown

post-66-0-43856800-1401400793_thumb.jpg

Show is ok..Jerry pretty strung out at that point...not a big fan of 82-84 Dead

FIrst Dead concert I attended was during that period. 6/20/1983 at Meriweather Post Pavilion. Absolutely the craziest experience ever, with a wicked thunderstorm during the show, and about 4" of rain in a couple of hours. None of us on the lawn cared, except when the power would go out temporarily with the crashing lightning.

Here's the bootlegs: https://archive.org/details/gd1983-06-20.nak300.grabski.32795.sbefail.flac16

FIrst Dead concert I attended was during that period. 6/20/1983 at Meriweather Post Pavilion. Absolutely the craziest experience ever, with a wicked thunderstorm during the show, and about 4" of rain in a couple of hours. None of us on the lawn cared, except when the power would go out temporarily with the crashing lightning.

Here's the bootlegs: https://archive.org/details/gd1983-06-20.nak300.grabski.32795.sbefail.flac16

yeah..that's a pretty famous show...especially the sugar magnolia

Driving home from Crystal City today, and the car read 82 at Columbia Pike and Rt 7. It was at 75 when I pulled up to my house. With traffic, it was about 35 minutes from point to point.

There's even a Reston UHI now - I notice it every day driving to work.  Right now it's 62 at my house, 66 in Reston, 72 in DC.  Reston is 10 miles NE of here as the crow flies.  As soon as you get east of Dulles on the toll road, the Reston-Herndon artificial surfaces start to show an impact.

There's even a Reston UHI now - I notice it every day driving to work.  Right now it's 62 at my house, 66 in Reston, 72 in DC.  Reston is 10 miles NE of here as the crow flies.  As soon as you get east of Dulles on the toll road, the Reston-Herndon artificial surfaces start to show an impact.

What is the elevation difference?

While the DC UHI is a very real thing, I think people can somewhat overstate the impact in other areas.  If there was no human footprint, there would still be significant temperature differences over very short distances due to elevation and ground cover.

What is the elevation difference?

While the DC UHI is a very real thing, I think people can somewhat overstate the impact in other areas. If there was no human footprint, there would still be significant temperature differences over very short distances due to elevation and ground cover.

I'm actually in a low spot near Bull Run, about 275ft AMSL. Reston is probably ~50ft higher.

Bull Run Mountain, ~1200ft, is 5mi directly west.

I'm actually in a low spot near Bull Run, about 275ft AMSL. Reston is probably ~50ft higher.

Bull Run Mountain, ~1200ft, is 5mi directly west.

You should generally be colder on calm, cloud-free mornings. I have the opposite issue because I'm on a little ridge and can have morning temps up to 10 degrees warmer than places a couple of miles away.

The temperature difference on my property is crazy. I live on a peninsula (kinda), so half of the property sticks out in the water, and the other half goes back into thick woods (slightly higher elevation). The water is what drives the temp difference.

My weather station is about 30 ft above the water on the point. If you were to start at the water, and walk all the way into the wooded area, I bet the temp drops 2-3 degrees in the winter. I remember on one March (I think) morning, when my station was reading 20 degrees, I took a handheld anemometer (which also reads temp) into the forest and it read 18. Now, I know this doesn't mean much because I was using two completely different pieces of equipment, but it's definitely colder in the woods.

I don't really feel like dropping $300.00 on another VantageVue for the other side of my property...

You should generally be colder on calm, cloud-free mornings. I have the opposite issue because I'm on a little ridge and can have morning temps up to 10 degrees warmer than places a couple of miles away.

Yes, agreed - but I am also virtually always cooler at mid day, evenings, etc. And I get noticeably more snow in marginal events - though I suppose that could have as much to do with distance from the ocean.

We are often hotter on the really hot days, especially when down sloping is involved.

Are you really arguing that it is purely elevation and the fact that we are surrounded by forest in a neighborhood with 3-5 acre lots does not make a difference vs. a much more urbanized area?

Archived