• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Putting winter in its place snow/cold wise

Ian

Isn't the HECS kind of a new thing? How many How many 18"+ storms did we get from 1940-1980?

PD1 is the only storm during that period that I would qualify as an area wide HECS.....Imo, we've only had 8 HECS....which is what makes them so special....not to say other storms (or back to back like 1987) weren't high impact in their own way or in certain areas, but 

Feb 1899, Jan 1922, Feb 1979, Feb 1983, Jan 1996, Feb 2003, Dec 2009, Feb 2010...are our only HECS's......crippling area wide storms with widespread 18"+ totals....

PD1 is the only storm during that period that I would qualify as an area wide HECS.....Imo, we've only had 8 HECS....which is what makes them so special....not to say other storms (or back to back like 1987) weren't high impact in their own way or in certain areas, but

Feb 1899, Jan 1922, Feb 1979, Feb 1983, Jan 1996, Feb 2003, Dec 2009, Feb 2010...are our only HECS's......crippling area wide storms with widespread 18"+ totals....

What's interesting to me looking at your list is that our recent burst of HECS' coincide with some, but not all, of our snowiest seasons.

57/58 and 60/61 didn't have a HECS but both are legendary winters. Our recent standard of HECS + top-10-type winter is an incredibly high threshold.

Wow, so we went 56yrs without a HECS. Makes you wonder if we have our expectations too high?

I wonder if the decline in solar activity or the loss of sea ice might have something to do with the recent increase in HECS frequency..pretty much unprecedented in our records. I'm thinking about writing my doctoral thesis on something in that arena.

Wow, so we went 56yrs without a HECS. Makes you wonder if we have our expectations too high?

I wonder if the decline in solar activity or the loss of sea ice might have something to do with the recent increase in HECS frequency..pretty much unprecedented in our records. I'm thinking about writing my doctoral thesis on something in that arena.

unreasonable expectations are the touchstone for all weenies     ;)

this april, any maximum daily temperature that's more than 7 degrees below the then normal high - is unreasonable. I've never seen a winter end so abruptly. This spring will be uniformly warm then hellishly hot into summer and there will be NO cooler occasions. There is this cycle I think that is called the GMO or something, it cycles thru 1-8.

Once upon a time it used to bring cooler weather about once every month.

Thats done away with. Mark my words. We will be in the 60s and 70s, then 80s, 90s then 100s with NO cool breaks. This summer in Washington will mimic Austin Texas conditions. The DEEP trough this week will be the first exemplar of my theory about the spring and summer, which will run possibly as late as November this year in Washington. Meteorologists in 2015 will be writing doctoral theses on the horrendous summer of 2014. Deep troughs USED to bring cool weather. This one will bring mild to outright WARM weather. It will seem as though normal atmospheric physics laws have been permanently repealed.

Many a person in Washington DC will lament how hot it will be this summer and many more will remark, "This is exactly like Austin Texas weather."

You'll see and hear that a LOT this year in and around DC.

Archived