joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2014 discussion

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess if you always lived in the city, then its normal to raise a family there, but having grown up in the green suburbs, I couldn't imagine doing it myself.  I want my kids thoroughly indoctrinated to nature (whenever it is that I get around to having kids, anyway ;) )

That's the spirit.

40089637.jpg

I bet you sleep better when you go home in the summer. Guessing that the nights are pretty cool temperature wise down there.

June-Aug not so much, we have very high humidity.  You will always have a couple 50s for lows each month, but low-mid 70s for lows are pretty common too.  Bear in mind the official reporting station for the area is a regional airport in the middle of a field in the country, so it is usually several degrees cooler at night than in the more urban areas (yes, there are some denser areas of population in Staunton & Harrisonburg).

The humidity though is on par with what you have through the SE, and since we get more frequent t-storms than the rest of the state you can have some truly soupy afternoons.

June-Aug not so much, we have very high humidity.  You will always have a couple 50s for lows each month, but low-mid 70s for lows are pretty common too.  Bear in mind the official reporting station for the area is a regional airport in the middle of a field in the country, so it is usually several degrees cooler at night than in the more urban areas (yes, there are some denser areas of population in Staunton & Harrisonburg).

The humidity though is on par with what you have through the SE, and since we get more frequent t-storms than the rest of the state you can have some truly soupy afternoons.

70 at midnight is a lot better than 85 in the concrete jungle during July.

Staunton (Shenandoah Valley) and Charlottesville (just across the mountain!)

Staunton average lows are 59.4 in June, 63.3 in July, 61.8 in August.  Harrisonville is even cooler.

Charlottesville average lows are varied (3 sites to pick from)... but average mid-upper 60s in July.  64.7 at the airport, 66.9 at 2W, 67.7 at 2SSE.

This compares to Central Park's 68.8 July average low.

Staunton average lows are 59.4 in June, 63.3 in July, 61.8 in August.  Harrisonville is even cooler.

Charlottesville average lows are varied (3 sites to pick from)... but average mid-upper 60s in July.  64.7 at the airport, 66.9 at 2W, 67.7 at 2SSE.

What's the average July low at KLGA?

Staunton is probably 2-3 deg cooler than C'ville in reality, as is Harrisonburg, simply due to the elevation difference (approximately 800ft).  The official Staunton lows if you are using the airport (KSHD) again are not really representative of any of the cities as they are from an airport that is at least 10 miles from any developed area.  It is literally in the middle of a field that radiates incredibly well.  If you are using the stats from the Staunton Water Treatment plant, that is on the fringe of the city in the woods at an elevation about 400-500 ft higher on average than most of the city.

Even in C'ville it isn't quite representative.  The airport is approximately 10 miles north of the city in a much less (yet still somewhat) developed area.  The main part of Charlottesville has a comparable density to NW DC and is often several degrees warmer than the airport on any given night.

Take this past night, for example:

Lows -

KSHD - 31F

Station in Staunton (a weather bug station at the local middle school) - 37F

Vine St, Harrisonburg - 36.5F

KCHO - 43F

Station in Charlottesville - 45F

Staunton is probably 2-3 deg cooler than C'ville in reality, as is Harrisonburg, simply due to the elevation difference (approximately 800ft).  The official Staunton lows if you are using the airport (KSHD) again are not really representative of any of the cities as they are from an airport that is at least 10 miles from any developed area.  It is literally in the middle of a field that radiates incredibly well.  If you are using the stats from the Staunton Water Treatment plant, that is on the fringe of the city in the woods at an elevation about 400-500 ft higher on average than most of the city.

I used the treatment plant.  I don't think they did normals for the airport since its an AWOS... they only did them for ASOS's.

You know, I've yet to see a pine barrens fire which was natural.  All the ones I remember were anthropogenic.  As I recall, it was actually human influence which helps make the pines what they are today; without frequent human-caused fire, oaks would become dominant in most of the area, as they have in some sections already.  This makes sense since prime fire season isn't summer thunderstorm season, but now, when cool dry winds can whip flames rapidly through last season's organic debris.  The core of the barrens is actually from northern Atlantic north-northeast across southeastern Burlington and into western Ocean. Southwestern NJ, Salem County in particular, is actually a rather productive farm area. 

That's not the whole story.  Humans also actively suppress fires and that may be a bigger influence than human caused fires.  Those pine barrens were dependent on fire and existed before humans started lighting fires.

That's not the whole story.  Humans also actively suppress fires and that may be a bigger influence than human caused fires.  Those pine barrens were dependent on fire and existed before humans started lighting fires.

If by humans you mean the white man, sure, but natives supposedly set a lot of fires long before the white man came.

I used the treatment plant.  I don't think they did normals for the airport since its an AWOS... they only did them for ASOS's.

Yea, that is pretty close, but at night there can be several degrees of variance through the city.  Elevation in the city is anywhere from about 1100ft in the NE to nearly 2000ft in the SE.

Pretty serious brushfire down in ocean county

http://berkeley-nj.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/large-brush-fire-raging-in-berkeley-homes-evacuated

UPDATE: Massive Brush Fire Rages In Berkeley, Ocean County; Homes, Schools Evacuated

State Police are forbidding people from getting anywhere near the fire, telling people "the wind can switch at any minute."

Posted by Tom Davis (Editor) , April 24, 2014 at 02:14 PM

More

A massive brush fire is burning acres of land between Grand Central and Northern Boulevards in Berkeley, evacuating homes and sending families to shelter.

Homes and other buildings from Northern to Maryland streets have been evacuated. Officers are in place to advise and assist fire-weary residents who can't get back to their homes.

Toms River Intermediate South dismissed its students early, and the children have been sent to the Pine Belt Arena. Berkeley schools announced that they will not be busing children home immediately because of the fire.

State Police are forbidding people from getting anywhere near the fire, telling people: "The wind can switch at any minute."

"Public safety is our first priority," a state trooper told a reporter.

Massive plumes of smoke filled the air Thursday afternoon while sirens blared. An unidentified woman running down Northern Boulevard, with a cell phone in her ear, yelled at a crowd: "Who's house is on fire?"

Central Regional is holding students who live on Grand Central, Western and Northern boulevards at the high school and middle school while the massive brush rages, according to a robocall from the school district.

The fire is in the Pinewald section of Berkeley Township, an area heavily forested with scrub pines and oaks and prone to fires.

Northern Boulevard residents Robert and Joan Martinez stood in the street outside their home and listened to helicopters thundering overhead, making sweeps over the smoke.

The couple said despite the order to evacuate, they are staying put. They went through this before in 2002. Robert has five hoses and spigots which he said he can use.

"I've got my hoses," he said. "I'll put them on my roof. We are not leaving this house. They just told me I have to evacuate. I told them we cannot evacuate

He grew up down in one of the prettiest parts of the Virginia. I have a hard time understanding how he prefers concrete, constant noise, bad smells and snooty people over green grass, trees, a nice house and genuinely nice people.

Completely disagree with the snooty people part. I find the majority of New Yorkers pleasant.

Nice day out...would be gorgeous if the winds were a little less intense.

Archived