joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 28-29 snow potential

ilstormchaser

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gusts on the hourly obs have generally been around 30-32MPH, so I'd say it falls short regardless. Either way, 4th hour straight now that CLE has been at 1/4 mile visibility...I don't think they've pulled that off more than an hour or two at a time this winter until today.

Yeah. On one hand it's a shame there wasn't this type of set up earlier in the season when there was more cold air to work with and the snow would last, on the other hand it's nice to see the last(?) storm of the season go out with a bang. Of any storm this season, this will be known for constant heavy rates.

This was nicely forecast for the past 3 days. The NAM did surprisingly well with this and stayed consistent, which is noteworthy for a spring snowstorm.

When I went out for a walk earlier, everyone was outside; heavy snow or not. Regardless of what the calendar says, people are ready for spring and a spring snowstorm isn't going to stop them from going outside. 

CLE got at least 5". Still will snow for another couple hours or so, so maybe a shot at 6" for CLE.

KCLE 300051Z 01022G29KT 1SM -SN FG BLSN OVC004 01/M01 A3001 RMK AO2 PK WND 36031/0013 SLP170 SNINCR 1/5 P0003 T00111011

I just measured 5.3 inches. It is CEMENT. Even though it's super windy, most folks should get an accurate measurement if they put out snowboards. I also shoveled my driveway into fairly large piles that will be in the shade, just to see how long they'll last.

I see the NWS debated going with a warning for Cuyahoga/Medina/Lorain, but passed on it. It's a tough call either way, but considering the visibilities, rates, and winds it probably would have been justified. I was also surprised to see that the mid morning advisory this morning was briefly dropped to 2-4" and then re-upped back to what they were before. Strange.

Nice storm to end winter! All in all, well modeled, and performed as expected!

I just measured 5.3 inches. It is CEMENT. Even though it's super windy, most folks should get an accurate measurement if they put out snowboards. I also shoveled my driveway into fairly large piles that will be in the shade, just to see how long they'll last.

I see the NWS debated going with a warning for Cuyahoga/Medina/Lorain, but passed on it. It's a tough call either way, but considering the visibilities, rates, and winds it probably would have been justified. I was also surprised to see that the mid morning advisory this morning was briefly dropped to 2-4" and then re-upped back to what they were before. Strange.

Nice storm to end winter! All in all, well modeled, and performed as expected!

Solid amount. PNS is a lot of 4-6" amounts across Cuyahoga County, this pretty much did as expected. I didn't catch the NWS bumping amounts down in the morning, although by the time they were considering a warning it would've been kind of late. Amounts were really sub-warning, but from an impact point of view it was decently significant, so I can see the argument either way. I don't have any issue with the way CLE handled things, they issued an advisory about 12 hours before the significant snow and stuck with the forecast from there on out.

For the first time in quite a while it seems, CLE actually got as much as or a bit more than the modeled QPF. Through 8:00PM they have 4.1" of snow on 0.70" of liquid, and saw at least 1" of snow (in the 8PM hour when the METAR reported 1"/hr rates) and 0.12" of liquid after...so at least 0.82" of liquid. What's amazing is they saw 5" of snow in about 6 hours, with temps at 34 the whole time! Kind of love the little oddities that occur with spring snow storms.

Yeah, considering the date, no reason to not like this storm in CLE or even BUF if you like snow. Nice period of intense snow and decent accums as well. There have been some scattered power outages mainly in the Mansfield, Cleveland and now Youngstown areas...luckily this didn't occur in two weeks when the leaves would be coming out. Ended up with 0.2" in Athens lol

Had a horrible drive this early Sat. morning on I-65 south of Frankfort IN to Lebanon IN.  Snow and rain...lots of slush on the highway, and saw three spin outs in that distance.   I am SO ready for spring.

What were you thinking? Winter weather + I 65 = disaster. I'm hoping a turn of the calender page will also result in a turn to spring.

Kind of coincidental that FWA got exactly an inch yesterday and MBY got exactly 1/2", making our seasonal total exactly the same. I had a good 4-5" lead on the airport at one point during the winter, but it came roaring back. Climatology FTW.

Solid amount. PNS is a lot of 4-6" amounts across Cuyahoga County, this pretty much did as expected. I didn't catch the NWS bumping amounts down in the morning, although by the time they were considering a warning it would've been kind of late. Amounts were really sub-warning, but from an impact point of view it was decently significant, so I can see the argument either way. I don't have any issue with the way CLE handled things, they issued an advisory about 12 hours before the significant snow and stuck with the forecast from there on out.

For the first time in quite a while it seems, CLE actually got as much as or a bit more than the modeled QPF. Through 8:00PM they have 4.1" of snow on 0.70" of liquid, and saw at least 1" of snow (in the 8PM hour when the METAR reported 1"/hr rates) and 0.12" of liquid after...so at least 0.82" of liquid. What's amazing is they saw 5" of snow in about 6 hours, with temps at 34 the whole time! Kind of love the little oddities that occur with spring snow storms.

Yeah, considering the date, no reason to not like this storm in CLE or even BUF if you like snow. Nice period of intense snow and decent accums as well. There have been some scattered power outages mainly in the Mansfield, Cleveland and now Youngstown areas...luckily this didn't occur in two weeks when the leaves would be coming out. Ended up with 0.2" in Athens lol

Looks like several 6-7" reports in western Cuyahoga County. The QPF at the airport seems like it was adjusted downward based on what the METARs were reporting. Nonetheless, it was moist.

Here's yesterday's noon update advisory text. At that point it was looking like a solid event. They only kept this text briefly before upping it back up. Odd that they'd change it for a few hours. Nonetheless, I think the storm was handled well.

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SANDUSKY...LORAIN...CLEVELAND...

MENTOR...CHARDON...JEFFERSON...NORWALK...MEDINA...AKRON...

WOOSTER...MILLERSBURG...MOUNT VERNON...ASHTABULA...ERIE...

EDINBORO...MEADVILLE

1209 PM EDT SAT MAR 29 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS

AFTERNOON TO 2 AM EDT SUNDAY...

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 4 INCHES.

* RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW FROM WEST TO EAST STARTING THIS

AFTERNOON INTO EARLY EVENING.

* THE MOST INTENSE SNOW WILL BE LATE THIS AFTERNOON INTO TONIGHT.

* THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF LATE TONIGHT.

* IMPACTS...ROADS WILL BECOME SNOW COVERED DURING THE HEAVIER

SNOW. AS TEMPERATURES DROP THIS EVENING AND TONIGHT THERE WILL

BE A GREATER LIKELIHOOD OF ICY OR SNOW COVERED ROADS.

Looks like several 6-7" reports in western Cuyahoga County. The QPF at the airport seems like it was adjusted downward based on what the METARs were reporting. Nonetheless, it was moist.

Here's yesterday's noon update advisory text. At that point it was looking like a solid event. They only kept this text briefly before upping it back up. Odd that they'd change it for a few hours. Nonetheless, I think the storm was handled well.

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SANDUSKY...LORAIN...CLEVELAND...

MENTOR...CHARDON...JEFFERSON...NORWALK...MEDINA...AKRON...

WOOSTER...MILLERSBURG...MOUNT VERNON...ASHTABULA...ERIE...

EDINBORO...MEADVILLE

1209 PM EDT SAT MAR 29 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS

AFTERNOON TO 2 AM EDT SUNDAY...

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 4 INCHES.

* RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW FROM WEST TO EAST STARTING THIS

AFTERNOON INTO EARLY EVENING.

* THE MOST INTENSE SNOW WILL BE LATE THIS AFTERNOON INTO TONIGHT.

* THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF LATE TONIGHT.

* IMPACTS...ROADS WILL BECOME SNOW COVERED DURING THE HEAVIER

SNOW. AS TEMPERATURES DROP THIS EVENING AND TONIGHT THERE WILL

BE A GREATER LIKELIHOOD OF ICY OR SNOW COVERED ROADS.

I imagine the reason for the lowered accumulations in that text was the expectations for more rain/mixing, something that did not occur (thus the snow amounts that actually occurred).

What I thought was impressive was that the snow begin falling with 850mb temps of 1-2*C (which, when seeing at face value, you would expect non-frozen precipitation). It just goes to show how well a NE wind can help the cause with these marginal events. 

Archived