• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Winter/Spring

Krakatoa erupted in 1884.  

What was the excuse this year? I think October Siberian snow cover has a lot to do with how cold it was this year. Patterns are difficult to knock out of the way once they become established. I believe Buffalo is at 6 straight months of below average temps. A similar routine but on the opposite side of the spectrum has occurred the last 2 years with above average temps for such a long period of time. Weather patterns run in long increments of time and once they become entrenched in a certain part of the globe they usually meander there for months, sometimes years at a time.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was the excuse this year? I think October Siberian snow cover has a lot to do with how cold it was this year. Patterns are difficult to knock out of the way once they become established. I believe Buffalo is at 6 straight months of below average temps. A similar routine but on the opposite side of the spectrum has occurred the last 2 years with above average temps for such a long period of time. Weather patterns run in long increments of time and once they become entrenched in a certain part of the globe they usually meander there for months, sometimes years at a time.

Well it can be cool or warm any year depending on the hemispheric pattern, but 1885 was exceptionally cold because of significant global cooling that occurred in the couple years following that large eruption.  It wasn't as huge as Tambora in 1815 which caused the legendary "year without a summer" in 1816, but still quite large.  

Well it can be cool or warm any year depending on the hemispheric pattern, but 1885 was exceptionally cold because of significant global cooling that occurred in the couple years following that large eruption.  It wasn't as huge as Tambora in 1815 which caused the legendary "year without a summer" in 1816, but still quite large.  

Wow that is awesome to learn about! Where there any long term climatic effects from Mount St. Helens eruption as well? I've read extensively on the possibly damage the super volcano under Yellowstone could cause. Some crazy stuff!!!

I am really looking forward to the upcoming warmup! About time!

• Wednesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 61.
  • Thursday A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 73. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Friday A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 76. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Saturday A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 67. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
  • Sunday A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 69. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Wow that is awesome to learn about! Where there any long term climatic effects from Mount St. Helens eruption as well? I've read extensively on the possibly damage the super volcano under Yellowstone could cause. Some crazy stuff!!!

I am really looking forward to the upcoming warmup! About time!

• Wednesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 61.
  • Thursday A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 73. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Friday A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 76. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Saturday A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 67. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
  • Sunday A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 69. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

There was some limited cooling from Mt. Saint Helens; there was more from Pinatubo in 1991.  Large volcanic eruptions near the equator produce significantly more cooling than those at latitude because the ejecta and gas is more effectively dispersed through the atmosphere.  A VEI8 eruption of Yellowstone would be so large that wouldn't matter nearly as much that it's at latitude. 

Another interesting footnote, the last supermassive eruption was Toba approximately 74,000 years ago.  There was a study done to trace back the mitochondrial DNA through the maternal line, and there's some suggestion that the human species was reduced to only a few 1,000 persons due to that eruption.  

Another interesting footnote, the last supermassive eruption was Toba approximately 74,000 years ago.  There was a study done to trace back the mitochondrial DNA through the maternal line, and there's some suggestion that the human species was reduced to only a few 1,000 persons due to that eruption.  

That is awesome. I hear the Yellowstone Super Volcano erupts approximately every 700,000-800,000 years. There has been 3 known records of these so far. Large eruptions that took place 2.1 million, 1.3 million, and 640,000 years ago.

That is awesome. I hear the Yellowstone Super Volcano erupts approximately every 700,000-800,000 years. There has been 3 known records of these so far. Large eruptions that took place 2.1 million, 1.3 million, and 640,000 years ago.

I'm sure it wouldn't be all that "awesome" if it happened.  ;)

Since 2000 14 winter seasons have passed. Through those 14 seasons Buffalo airport has averaged 99.6 inches of snow. I'd round that up to 100 and say that's the new KBuf average since the turn of the century. :lmao: I was surprised to see it so high with 2 of the worst snowfall seasons in buffalos history from 2011-13.

• Thursday Cloudy, with a high near 75.
  • Friday Cloudy, with a high near 78.
  • Saturday Cloudy, with a high near 70.
  • Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 72.
  • Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 74.
  • Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 76.

WARMTH! Really looking forward to this upcoming week!

I really wish it would stick around but next week is really starting to look like a disaster.  Snow in the 'Dacks looks quite plausible.  Hopefully its the last gasp of winter.

Since 2000 14 winter seasons have passed. Through those 14 seasons Buffalo airport has averaged 99.6 inches of snow. I'd round that up to 100 and say that's the new KBuf average since the turn of the century. :lmao: I was surprised to see it so high with 2 of the worst snowfall seasons in buffalos history from 2011-13.

The period from 1995-2010 was very snowy...I believe we averaged somewhere between 110 to 115".  Those 2 winters before this last one were a bit of comeuppance.

The period from 1995-2010 was very snowy...I believe we averaged somewhere between 110 to 115".  Those 2 winters before this last one were a bit of comeuppance.

Yeah it definitely was. The year 2000 in Cheektowaga had a ridiculous amount of snow. That was the year we moved from the city to Cheektowaga/Amherst line. I remember moving in and having to shovel nearly every day from late November to January. It wasn't just Nuisance stuff either, we got pounded nearly every week with a foot of snow. We had 45.6 inches of snow in November and 50.3 inches of snow that December. Lots of it being Lake Effect.

Let's play a game guess where the warm front is. ^_^

acttemp_600x405.jpg

Buffalo is -5.1 departure from normal so far in May.

May                -5.1 so far

April                -.1

March             -7.3

February        -6.5

January          -4.9

December       -2.1

November        -3.1

October           +3.4

September       -.8

August             -.6

July                  +1.4

June                -.6

Only 2 positive month anomalys in the last year in October and in July.

BuffaloWeather, on 07 May 2014 - 5:36 PM, said:

Buffalo is -5.1 departure from normal so far in May.

May                -5.1 so far

April                -.1

March             -7.3

February        -6.5

January          -4.9

December       -2.1

November        -3.1

October           +3.4

September       -.8

August             -.6

July                  +1.4

June                -.6

Only 2 positive month anomalys in the last year in October and in July.

Wow that's pretty impressive, did you see the new climate report that came out? 

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/climate-change-report-more-snow-for-buffalo-in-future-20140506

OT: I'll be heading down to Brazil in the coming week for the world cup. GO USA!! :popcorn:

world-cup-group-g-usmnt.jpg

meh...

“Longer ice-free periods on the Great Lakes can result in more lake-effect snowfalls,” and a longer growing season could mean more trouble for local allergy sufferers, the report said.

That's trying to say something without really saying anything.  Some of the harshest and snowiest winters in Buffalo's history featured Lake Erie freezing at a relatively early date, including this one, 1976-1977, 2000-2001 etc.  

meh...

“Longer ice-free periods on the Great Lakes can result in more lake-effect snowfalls,” and a longer growing season could mean more trouble for local allergy sufferers, the report said.

That's trying to say something without really saying anything.  Some of the harshest and snowiest winters in Buffalo's history featured Lake Erie freezing at a relatively early date, including this one, 1976-1977, 2000-2001 etc.  

Why does Gowanda/Silvercreek constantly flood after a few inches of rain? Drainage problems?

The thunder and lighting this evening have been amazing. Non-stop for 3 hrs! Torrential downpour!

Looks like some flooding issues around the Finger Lakes. Two towns about an hour south of Buffalo had torrential downpours this morning with lots of major flooding it seems. Both towns declared state of emergencies.

Debree ball west of Albany

AT 351 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TOINDICATED A TORNADO ON THE GROUND WITH A TORNADIC DEBRIS SIGNATUREJUST SOUTH OF DUANESBURG IN SCHENECTADY COUNTY...AND WILL CROSS EXIT24 OF INTERSTATE 88 AROUND 4 PM.  THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEARKELLEYS...OR 7 MILES WEST OF ROTTERDAM...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

alb3.png

Archived