• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western PA Banter & Complaint Thread

10 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

It’s because everyone insisted on saying a storm that was forecasted to drop 12 inches and not have major p type issues had major p type issues, and dry slotted for 6 hours, and for most of the county didn’t hit warning level.

it also doesn’t help that I posted a snow map showing it’s from the NWS and was told the map was wrong. 

edit: also, I have people screaming at me saying this storm was a bust. I didn’t. And for the love of god if I call MLK a bust I have no clue why it causes such a meltdown on here.

Lol, you melt down.  Everyone is happy with the storm except you.  We get tired of hearing it was a bust because that’s like 50% of your contributions to the threads.  Just move on man.  It’s over.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

No one but you insisted it would drop 12”.  Every forecaster said between 5/9” and 8-12”.  That’s where we were.  Please accept that.  They are facts.

If you believe that models are the be all end all you will be perpetually disappointed, and it appears that’s what you do.

Oh really? You literally don't remember the KPIT graphic predicting 12?

19 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

No one but you insisted it would drop 12”.  Every forecaster said between 5/9” and 8-12”.  That’s where we were.  Please accept that.  They are facts.

If you believe that models are the be all end all you will be perpetually disappointed, and it appears that’s what you do.

31 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Oh really? You literally don't remember the KPIT graphic predicting 12?

There’s your trouble, you saw 11.3” and you allowed no wiggle room.  If you thought they’d be 100% on point you’d be disappointed and you were.  The range was 6-12” that was the prediction.  I bet you’d have been disappointed with 10”, because it wasn’t 11.3”.  Move on.

8 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

There’s your trouble, you saw 11.3” and you allowed no wiggle room.  If you thought they’d be 100% on point you’d be disappointed and you were.  The range was 6-12” that was the prediction.  I bet you’d have been disappointed with 10”, because it wasn’t 11.3”.  Move on.

The range on that map was 12-18, actually.

How about this, when I call it a bust, you move on instead of feeling the need to throw a tantrum everytime I say it.

To me, it was a bust. You are never going to convince me otherwise, but you absolutely lose your mind when I say it. If you thought it was a good event, I'm glad for you, but as I've said for me it was quite possibly one of the more dissapointing events I can remember because just a day before it looked like we were trending towards a 12-18 inch type storm and ended up with an advisory level even in most places in AGC.

2 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

So I think part of the problem is the term bust is relative, to me it means epic fail like you get nothing or up to a quarter of what was forecast. A storm can be a bust in your backyard but generally area wide be good. There are storms that fail and screw the whole area, that to me is a bust.

Let's just move on, I get where you are coming from. My yard got 8 and was always in the lower ranges so to me, it wasn't a total fail. I think people are tired of the debate, some maybe even trying to rile you up. Let's just all agree to disagree and end the debate on the storm that shall not be named and focus on the present / future.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

How about this, when I call it a bust, you move on instead of feeling the need to throw a tantrum everytime I say it.

To me, it was a bust. You are never going to convince me otherwise, but you absolutely lose your mind when I say it. If you thought it was a good event, I'm glad for you, but as I've said for me it was quite possibly one of the more dissapointing events I can remember because just a day before it looked like we were trending towards a 12-18 inch type storm and ended up with an advisory level even in most places in AGC.

Pittsburgh was never in 12-18".  We call you out because you drag the thread down with the negativity.  Move on.

• Like 1

You all don’t know me well, because I mostly lurk. For probably going on 6/7 years. KPIT- take it from me, a person with no bias. You do have a tendency to be dramatic and pessimistic. Sorry to have to tell you, but it does influence the overall tone of this thread. I think you just need to relax and enjoy the weather we get. This place used to be fun, even during a complete miss. Whining and complaining during an 8” storm is a little unnecessary. I don’t think anyone wants you to leave or stop posting, but they’re calling attention to the effect you have on the thread. Just let it go dude. 

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

So I think part of the problem is the term bust is relative, to me it means epic fail like you get nothing or up to a quarter of what was forecast. A storm can be a bust in your backyard but generally area wide be good. There are storms that fail and screw the whole area, that to me is a bust.

Let's just move on, I get where you are coming from. My yard got 8 and was always in the lower ranges so to me, it wasn't a total fail. I think people are tired of the debate, some maybe even trying to rile you up. Let's just all agree to disagree and end the debate on the storm that shall not be named and focus on the present / future.

Thats fine, though I have one dude right now arguing with me that there was never a prediction of a foot plus in AGC and I literally posted a map that had 12-18 contours over the full county.

Again, my problem at this point is that someone is essentially lying despite posting multiple things that disprove him.

You're right, move on, but with this event I basically said one, it wasn't a bust, and two that the only thing that kind of sucked is that it got very close but I never really expected anything, and I STILL had people going absolutely insane on me.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

We’ll, this is the complaint thread, lol.  Not where I’d talk about the actual weather.

Ooff good call, I didn’t even realize I clicked on the banter / complaint thread hence me posting that obs report.

At this point this thread is where this discussion belongs so I have no issue if y’all want to keep going at it. I just hate when it starts clogging the other thread which it sometimes does. Not saying you or anyone specifically. Anyways I’ll see myself back to the other thread.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Thats fine, though I have one dude right now arguing with me that there was never a prediction of a foot plus in AGC and I literally posted a map that had 12-18 contours over the full county.

Again, my problem at this point is that someone is essentially lying despite posting multiple things that disprove him.

You're right, move on, but with this event I basically said one, it wasn't a bust, and two that the only thing that kind of sucked is that it got very close but I never really expected anything, and I STILL had people going absolutely insane on me.

You’re a character, lol!

We we’re never officially forecasted for 12-18”, that’s not a lie.  I’ll give that the 12-18” briefly crept near Pittsburgh, but we weren’t in it.  You’ve gone from saying we were forecast for a foot to now possibly 18”.  Most likely to make your bust “lie” seem more plausible.

The NWS statement was 6-12” (yeah, I get their grid had more) What most of the public sees is the statement. 

The locals at various times were 5-12/5-9/6-10, etc.

It snowed 9.1”

It was pretty well forecasted even if the city and valleys had more like 7 or 8. 

Models arent forecasts. I get if Kpitsnow was disappointed and wanted more - and that’s his right. But it was well within the compilation of local forecasts. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burghblizz said:

The NWS statement was 6-12” (yeah, I get their grid had more) What most of the public sees is the statement. 

The locals at various times were 5-12/5-9/6-10, etc.

It snowed 9.1”

It was pretty well forecasted even if the city and valleys had more like 7 or 8. 

Models arent forecasts. I get if Kpitsnow was disappointed and wanted more - and that’s his right. But it was well within the compilation of local forecasts. 

I think he's more frustrated with the models showing the usual last minute hope at some big totals and then faded away. I can only imagine how intense tracking 2010s storm must have been for you guys.

2 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

I think he's more frustrated with the models showing the usual last minute hope at some big totals and then faded away. I can only imagine how intense tracking 2010s storm must have been for you guys.

Feb 10 was a weenie dream. Snowed almost 50”

The 2.5.10 was what we all strive for. 6-10/8-12 type forecasts, but seeing the 20”+ model support actually come to fruition.

I remember having 11” on the ground and seeing the 0zNAM come in at another 12” — then thinking “sonofabitch, we got this”

31 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

That just kept showing run after run after run of absurd numbers. I went into it expecting maybe 8-12 inches, but NWS kept bumping up forecasts until the storm started. I'll never forget the locals having totals of 3-6 inches being on air at 6PM when we already had 5 inches and snow plus.

2.5 also maybe had one or two runs that drifted south and looked like they might fringe us, but there was really almost nothing to ever panic about as dryslotting and changeover weren't ever an issue.

30 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

So in December 2009 we missed a decent storm to the SE. That year had insane blocking. If I remember correctly the Feb 2010 storm initially basically missed everyone north of the Mason Dixon line on the models. Someone created a detour sign for PA graphic as a joke then subsequent runs started moving North. It was a storm that kept getting better on the models right up through the event. So much so local weather forecasts busted terribly low, even forecasting less than what was already on the ground at one point.

9 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

So in December 2009 we missed a decent storm to the SE. That year had insane blocking. If I remember correctly the Feb 2010 storm initially basically missed everyone north of the Mason Dixon line on the models. Someone created a detour sign for PA graphic as a joke then subsequent runs started moving North. It was a storm that kept getting better on the models right up through the event. So much so local weather forecasts busted terribly low, even forecasting less than what was already on the ground at one point.

Yep, from like 4 or 5 days out it just kept bumping north.

The 2009 storm also coincided with the infamous Pitt Cincy football game.....that was a bad weekend. One of the most crushing losses of my sports fandom, in flurries, while DC got buried.

2 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

The map did, but they aggregate reports from earlier. So like I said, you can cross reference the report times in the PIS and LSR’s

Not sure why you are so obsessed to show that 7” fell instead of 9” in a storm that was forcasted to get 6 to 11”.

Anyway, take this to banter. 

I’ll bring this over here out of the main thread. Forecast was basically around a foot county wide, then changed at the last minutes. 

IT WAS A BUST. 

2 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I’ll bring this over here out of the main thread. Forecast was basically around a foot county wide, then changed at the last minutes. 

IT WAS A BUST. 

Forecast should have never been a foot given that everyone but the NWS seemed to know there would be p-type and dry slotting issues.

If you want a decent reference site for local forecasts, this is it. Honestly, I think they are making the same mistake you are by using that brief moment where the 12” point and click contour made it down to Moon Twp. Also, Intellicast goes off of that I believe. The NWS statement was 6-12” and 6-11” at various times.  So throw that in this bunch:

But you’ll see this was the landscape of local forecasts. To pretty decent for a 9” storm. It’s the highest model and weenie dreams that didn’t verify. The forecasts did. 

2 hours ago, Burghblizz said:

If you want a decent reference site for local forecasts, this is it. Honestly, I think they are making the same mistake you are by using that brief moment where the 12” point and click contour made it down to Moon Twp. Also, Intellicast goes off of that I believe. The NWS statement was 6-12” and 6-11” at various times.  So throw that in this bunch:

But you’ll see this was the landscape of local forecasts. To pretty decent for a 9” storm. It’s the highest model and weenie dreams that didn’t verify. The forecasts did. 

Just because the airport got 9 doesn’t mean most people did. 

that map literally shows a snow hole right over us and every direction you go 50-100 miles had more snow.

10 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Just because the airport got 9 doesn’t mean most people did. 

that map literally shows a snow hole right over us and every direction you go 50-100 miles had more snow.

The airport is in Allegheny County. Warning verified.