• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 25-26 2014 storm threat

famartin

Ray seems the most excited about the LR as I've noticed all year. Hopefully we get a storm that makes him book plane tickets here

If this happens when it looks like it might right now, I could.  Which is why it won't happen.  :lol:  But seriously, the pattern looks good. 

GFS and EC both hinting at this with the large trough digging over much of the CONUS next week.  Trough axis far enough west to allow a storm to come up the coast.  Hints at blocking.  I probably won't post much again until we're much closer.

Why? Pricing airfares for a trip home?  ;)

HM sounds interested in the MA forum, too.

If this happens when it looks like it might right now, I could.  Which is why it won't happen.  :lol:  But seriously, the pattern looks good. 

Actually I take that back, I had forgotten a schedule change I was requested to make, so I couldn't come home for this if it happens.  OK, odds just went up :lol:

Big difference between the Euro and the other models on the midweek storm.  Euro just won't give up. Would be interesting to know why.  I assume all use the same equations.

You would assume incorrectly.  The very basic physics are the same, but models are still rough approximations of the atmosphere.  Some processes can't be resolved in realistic scales, so they are "parameterized", or approximated, and those approximations do differ from model to model.  In addition, the way models ingest data is somewhat different from model to model.  And then of course there is the model resolution (basically, that's the number of calculations per unit area), which also differs from model to model.

Archived