• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What kind of NESIS/KU will this storm be?

Ji

?. Do they count the impact in the south or just the Northeast?

It counts for everyone east of the rockies, but is calibrated to fixed northeast impact numbers (population and area affected by 10" amounts) for just what they consider the 13 Northeast states (WV and VA are included) for the biggest Nesis rated storms....the result is high impact storms with a lot of snow outside the 13 states can add a couple points, but the meat is based on just the northeast

I was wondering earlier too. This has more 10"+ reports across states than your normal big storm. Could it be a 4? 

These 2 are tied for lowest rated 4's....my guess is it will be a high rated 3....but I would need to have a better look at snowfall distribution..1983 got 10"+ amounts well east of 95 where a crapload of people live...

19830210-19830212-6.25.jpg

19580214-19580217-6.25.jpg

It counts for everyone east of the rockies, but is calibrated to fixed northeast impact numbers (population and area affected by 10" amounts) for just what they consider the 13 Northeast states (WV and VA are included) for the biggest Nesis rated storms....the result is high impact storms with a lot of snow outside the 13 states can add a couple points, but the meat is based on just the northeast

Thanks for the info. Surprising that the southern cities dont carry more weight. Just look what has happened to them over the past week. You would figure with what happened to Atlanta and Charlotte the rating should be high.

Well, the jury for our big storm last week is in. The survey says.........major NESIS 3 ranking for the #20 spot. I don't understand why that was as low as it was, just comparing to other storms with similar ranking. I guess the lack of widespread 2' snowfalls put a damper on it being a NESIS 4. Great storm. Will be interested in seeing what everyone thinks of the ranking.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/snow-and-ice/rsi/nesis

Well, the jury for our big storm last week is in. The survey says.........major NESIS 3 ranking for the #20 spot. I don't understand why that was as low as it was, just comparing to other storms with similar ranking. I guess the lack of widespread 2' snowfalls put a damper on it being a NESIS 4. Great storm. Will be interested in seeing what everyone thinks of the ranking.

pretty much what I thought...Thanks for posting

That's exactly the reason-- to reach NESIS 4, a storm has to have at least a large blob of 20" plus amounts. (Not 2' plus, just 20") The scale emphasizes both population affected and area covered by high snow totals, so a NESIS 4 should have both covered.

That's exactly the reason-- to reach NESIS 4, a storm has to have at least a large blob of 20" plus amounts. (Not 2' plus, just 20") The scale emphasizes both population affected and area covered by high snow totals, so a NESIS 4 should have both covered.

I agree. I basically said the same thing you did in the other sub forum. I thought maybe it would sneak into upper part of 3 due to population affected, but the fact Boston didn't get in on much of any action from the storm really hurt its chances of receiving a high ranking. That being said, still an awesome storm overall. Rankings mean nothing overall. Personal memories are what dictates the impact of such an event. 

pretty much what I thought...Thanks for posting

No problem. I know people after storm wanted to know the final word. Just the messenger at your service

Archived