northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All out Blizzard for the central Plains on Tuesday. Gradient pattern preventing this from cutting to the lakes. Snow by Tuesday night for our area, low over Western Kentucky. Low ends up too far north and west, heavy rain, but this will change. We need to get this inside the truncation period before we have a better idea. By tomorrow.

All out Blizzard for the central Plains on Tuesday. Gradient pattern preventing this from cutting to the lakes. Snow by Tuesday night for our area, low over Western Kentucky. Low ends up too far north and west, heavy rain, but this will change. We need to get this inside the truncation period before we have a better idea. By tomorrow.

That's never a good sign for us in any storm.

That's never a good sign for us in any storm.

It's fine in this case because of the gradient pattern in place. Without that we would have had no chance. The low is going to track just to the south of the boundary and the precip shield is going to be a long that track and to its north. This is a pretty classic setup for over running precipitation here. I wouldn't pay attention to the exact details, the pattern is awesome.

It's fine in this case because of the gradient pattern in place. Without that we would have had no chance. The low is going to track just to the south of the boundary and the precip shield is going to be a long that track and to its north. This is a pretty classic setup for over running precipitation here. I wouldn't pay attention to the exact details, the pattern is awesome.

Great point. Now if it does snow during that period, I hope it's of the powdery type, not the wet slop.

Still too far off for any pinpoint forecasting thats for sure. We still have to establish some blocking preferably west based and favorable MJO phase 7/8/1 to actually to be on the colder side of the gradient, none of which is set in stone at this point. GFS run was loaded with opportunities but it is just that

Still too far off for any pinpoint forecasting thats for sure. We still have to establish some blocking preferably west based and favorable MJO phase 7/8/1 to actually to be on the colder side of the gradient, none of which is set in stone at this point. GFS run was loaded with opportunities but it is just that

It's a gradient pattern, we get sandwiched between the SE ridge and the Polar Vortex. Do you know what that means?

Note confluence from SE ridge and PV, epic gradient setting upgfs_z500a_namer_63.png

We want the heights over northern Greenland and Baffin Bay to be as high as possible and push south into the region that would really benefit us. If that happens, the trough bringing the storminess can get as strong as it wants, but it will only be able to push so far north and the storm will have to re-develop along the coast and the cold air would be preserved. But if the high heights there don't pan out, I could see cutters and rain.

It's a gradient pattern, we get sandwiched between the SE ridge and the Polar Vortex. Do you know what that means?

Yes i do a predominant overrunning pattern that can produce tons of moisture concentrated along the gradient. I was just referencing to what would help maximize our chances of being on the whiter side of the gradient yanks. Sorry if i came off a debbie downer

Archived