• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 1 - 3 2014 given KU status. Cat 2, #37 all time.

Absolute Humidity

Surprising. Guess because of the large areal coverage

What's with the 2 specks of 10-20"? Surely more areas got more than 10" than that.

funny thing is one of those specs is directly over my house. In all seriousness, I believe it was William who said this would end up being a Cat 2. Congrats to him.

funny thing is one of those specs is directly over my house. In all seriousness, I believe it was William who said this would end up being a Cat 2. Congrats to him.

Lol the other blue spec is right over my house in Queens. I ended right around 11.5"

- Add another KU to our remarkable 10 year period.

Whole bunch of Meh here, but the NYC area and especially Boston got hit pretty hard. Didn't think it would end up being a KU type event though.

NESIS is scored by total population impacted by the amount of snow over a given area. A 6" snowfall from DC to Maine will garnish a a much greater score than 2 feet over Connecticut.

NESIS is scored by total population impacted by the amount of snow over a given area. A 6" snowfall from DC to Maine will garnish a a much greater score than 2 feet over Connecticut.

Oh I know what NESIS is, I'm just surprised it was a high enough impact storm to get KU status.. I didn't realize DC to Southern Maine all got >4 inches.

Interesting, I had 5" in midtown east. For anyone who lives long enough it won't actually be a memorable storm. Those category numbers are a bit misrepresentational as well, since tropical storm Sandy was just a wee bit more disruptive than cat 2 Nemo.

Interesting, I had 5" in midtown east. For anyone who lives long enough it won't actually be a memorable storm. Those category numbers are a bit misrepresentational as well, since tropical storm Sandy was just a wee bit more disruptive than cat 2 Nemo.

It snowed over 2 feet for many in update NY and around Boston. 10 - 14" over Long Island and 11" IMBY between 12 and 7 degrees above 0. How many storms can you remember being that cold? 

It snowed over 2 feet for many in update NY and around Boston. 10 - 14" over Long Island and 11" IMBY between 12 and 7 degrees above 0. How many storms can you remember being that cold? 

Yeah, I suppose the temp did make it unique...that was nice for a change on the coastal plain.

Whole bunch of Meh here, but the NYC area and especially Boston got hit pretty hard. Didn't think it would end up being a KU type event though.

The KU designation is, in my opinion, pathetic.

Oh I know what NESIS is, I'm just surprised it was a high enough impact storm to get KU status.. I didn't realize DC to Southern Maine all got >4 inches.

I thought a KU had to have 10" in three of five I-95 cities.

I hope some of the areas far west aren't involved in the NESIS scale, but the KU designation has become a bit too easy to achieve nowadays, a bit too broad in my opinion.

Its not so much its easy. The storms we've been getting have been widespread in the amounts over the 2000's. you have a storm that dumps 10" or more over millions of people its going to be a NESIS which is what we've been experiencing. The storm in january is a NESIS because it dumped signifigant snow that impacted travel over a wide swath of the northeast region. Look at the map, snowfall and population in those areas and you'll see why it gets into the books. The system really does take into many factors for a NESIS ranked storm, luckily mother nature has been giving them to us alot! ;)

I hope some of the areas far west aren't involved in the NESIS scale, but the KU designation has become a bit too easy to achieve nowadays, a bit too broad in my opinion. 

There're plenty of smaller KU events listed.. The metrics have not changed to determine what is and what ain't a KU. 

That's why there are 5 levels...every snowstorm isn't January 1996...but often times they are still noteworthy.  I thought both storms this month were very low grade KU's if we compare them to snowstorms previously so designated...the March 2009 storm got the lowest KU rating and it really only impacted Long Island, coastal NJ, &  SE New England with substantial (but certainly not crippling) snow falls.

Obviously I don't know how long you have been a weather watcher in the area; but I could venture to infer that the extraordinary frequency of major snow events since 2000 may well have skewed people's perceptions...WSO Upton has had 10 snowstorms of 10 inches or greater since March 2009...less than a 5 year span...from March 1983 to February 1993, I do not believe they recorded even one...

Archived