• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 18-19th Snow Showers OBS

GFS has a coating now, maybe even an inch, that's an improvement I'm pretty sure

Almost qualifies as an event ;)

With all the clippers swinging by there is always a chance for someone in the NE or even MA to.......a.....get clipped.

Btw thanks for the data dumps on storms. I was reviewing them the other night and it was quite nostalgic in a sense. Really put January 7th and 2010 into perspective.

Hopefully we'll get at least a coating to cover up the drab look around here!

A tidbit of hope for more than a coating from Mt. Holly?

ITS POSSIBLE WE WILL NEED TO ADVISE FOR THE LESSER AMTS BORDERING
THE POCONOS...TO JUST NW OF THE I95 CORRIDOR IN LATER FCSTS
(LEHIGH VALLEY SWD TO CHESTER COUNTY AND NW NJ COUNTIES).

quite a fascinating little system, I must say..

almost always a surprise under rogue little Lows. 

wouldn't be stumped to see some S+ in NNJ in the early morn.

My current temp is 31F.

Mt Holly AFD mentions a inch to 1.5 inches possible in the higher terrain of Sussex County.

Hopefully this event over performs in my back yard. I assume we could get any where from a car topper to max 3 inches.

Cheers

My current temp is 31F.

Mt Holly AFD mentions a inch to 1.5 inches possible in the higher terrain of Sussex County.

Hopefully this event over performs in my back yard. I assume we could get any where from a car topper to max 3 inches.

Cheers

yea, it's probably going to be a sharp cut-off from wherever the heavier bands pop up.   One of those systems where location, location, location is everything. 

mount holly describes well, it's dynamic factors  :

A MID LEVEL LOW WAS LOCATED OVER THE MIDDLE PART OF THE OHIO RIVER VALLEY THIS AFTERNOON. THE LOW WILL LIFT NORTHEASTWARD OVERNIGHT REACHING NORTHWESTERN PENNSYLVANIA BY MORNING. A VERY ROBUST SHORT WAVE ROTATING AROUND THE FORWARD SIDE OF THE LOW WILL LIFT OVER AND ACROSS PENNSYLVANIA DURING THE LATE NIGHT AND EARLY MORNING HOURS. THE MAXIMUM LIFT ASSOCIATED WITH THE SHORT WAVE IS EXPECTED TO BE OVER SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA AND CENTRAL MARYLAND AROUND 100 AM AND OVER CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE AT DAYBREAK ON SATURDAY. THE EASTERN EDGE OF THE AREA OF MAXIMUM LIFT IS EXPECTED TO PASS ACROSS PARTS OF BERKS COUNTY AND THE POCONOS BETWEEN 200 AM AND 500 AM. PRECIPITATION ASSOCIATED WITH THE SHORT WAVE AND THE SURFACE FEATURES IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN SPREADING INTO OUR REGION AFTER MIDNIGHT. BOUNDARY LAYER TEMPERATURES SHOULD REMAIN WARM ENOUGH TO RESULT IN MAINLY RAIN AT THE ONSET. HOWEVER, AS PRECIPITATION RATES INCREASE IN THE NORTHWESTERN PART OF OUR FORECAST AREA COLD AIR WILL BE DRAWN DOWNWARD AND THE PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE TO ALL SNOW. WE CONTINUE TO ANTICIPATE A BRIEF PERIOD OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL ACROSS OUT NORTHWESTERN COUNTIES, ESPECIALLY IN THE ELEVATED TERRAIN. AS A RESULT OF THE EXPECTED SNOWFALL RATES, WE WILL KEEP THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN PLACE FOR THE POCONOS EVEN THOUGH SNOWFALL TOTALS MAY FALL BELOW THE ADVISORY CRITERION OF 3 INCHES IN MUCH OF THAT REGION. HOWEVER, LOCALIZED AMOUNTS OF 3 TO 4 INCHES REMAIN POSSIBLE.

thundersnow reported in ohio with this system....several hours ago

Evidently there was some thunder in Belmont County, OH (along the Ohio River northeast of Parkersburg, WV) a little bit ago with that "squall line" of heavy snow. It's snowing half decently in Athens and we did have a brief but pretty heavy squall earlier. Ground is somewhat whitish. It got up to 40 earlier which didn't help.

Between 3 to just a few minutes short of 5 this morn we popped out between 2/3"...had about 10 min.'s of Lt Snow than boom;Snow to Snow+ in that time...just Lt.Snow now... 

Same here....solid three....looking for another inch or two with the next wave heading in. Plow just came through. Perfect morning for my skiers. A CBH kind of morning. (Corned Beef Hash....the hearty breakfast of growing children who need to burn 2-3 thousand calories training)

Archived