12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 5th 2014 ICE obs

famartin

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sigh...I know...anything we can do to get that cold front in here quicker? :lol:

Gotta wonder if the loss of snow cover is going to nix any below zero overnight lows for most of us tomorrow morning but this may just be the craziest temperature swings I've ever seen around these parts. 

Allentown, for instance:

Sunday daybreak 1 degree

Monday daybreak:  55 degrees

Tuesday daybreak (forecasted): 2 degrees

Ice storm, freezing fog, driving rain, then wind chills of 15-20 below.  Yikes...

Gotta wonder if the loss of snow cover is going to nix any below zero overnight lows for most of us tomorrow morning but this may just be the craziest temperature swings I've ever seen around these parts. 

Allentown, for instance:

Sunday daybreak 1 degree

Monday daybreak:  55 degrees

Tuesday daybreak (forecasted): 2 degrees

Ice storm, freezing fog, driving rain, then wind chills of 15-20 below.  Yikes...

It's a regular temperature roller coaster!

Yes, the much decreased snow cover will not make radiating as easy Tuesday night as it was Friday night.  Regardless, Tuesday is going to be a brutally cold day with temps struggling to re-enter the teens (many places NW of I-95 have a good shot at staying in the single digits). 

I weep at the fact that highs tomorrow will be at midnight... it could be a legit coldest day in 20 years if it wasn't for that.

The rain showers are gonna beat down the snow even more.  Warm rain percolating through the snow.... not good as far as keeping it.

Went from about 50 percent coverage (albeit only about an inch left) to about 10 percent in the last hour with the showers apparently associated with the frontal passage. Temp. was 55 now 47.

Yes, the much decreased snow cover will not make radiating as easy Tuesday night as it was Friday night.  Regardless, Tuesday is going to be a brutally cold day with temps struggling to re-enter the teens (many places NW of I-95 have a good shot at staying in the single digits). 

I weep at the fact that highs tomorrow will be at midnight... it could be a legit coldest day in 20 years if it wasn't for that.

I was reading about Chicago, how the midnight high will prevent them from recording their possible all time daily lowest max today.

Wonder if there is a slight bump up in temps once the models discover their projection of snow cover lasting is wrong.

Jan 16, 2009 last time Philly failed to hit 20 degrees? 

High was 55.5 at 629am - lost power at 632 with wind shift temp now at 41.2 with just some patches of snow remaining

Wxsim has the midnight temp this evening at 8.7 (which is the forecast high for tomorrow) if forecasts a low temp of 0.7 just 3 hours later at 3am. Temps tomorrow during the day get no higher than 7.0....but temps will start rising here in the higher spots by midnight tomorrow night

Wonder if there is a slight bump up in temps once the models discover their projection of snow cover lasting is wrong.

Possible. 

Jan 16, 2009 last time Philly failed to hit 20 degrees? 

Yup, 18.  Coldest highs since 1994 are 16 on 1/10/2004 and 2/5/1996.

Given the current rate of fall in the temps, with KPHL at 16F at 11:00 pm, I think it's possible it cold be as low as 12 or 13 at midnight. Not as low as the forecast high of 11, but could you work with that?

Could be 11 or even 10 at midnight (the latter would set the record for largest 1-day temp range according to Tom Thunstrum).  Needless to say, it definitely looks like tomorrow will be coldest in 20 years, for high temp anyway.

Archived