• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2013 Final Precip Totals and discussion.

NCCatawba

I'm glad someone took the time and created this thread, 2013 has been incredible with rainfall totals especially those along and near the Southern Appalachians...

I have received 73.50 inches and I have a really good shot at passing 75 inches by Monday...will update totals after our next storm.

All indications are that 2014 will begin active as well.

The subtropical jet has been too kind this year. I wonder if it can be partly to blame for our lack of winter weather? We have been flooded with WAA and too much rain it seems. It's hard getting the arctic air anywhere near it when the subtropical jet is just so consistent...maybe if it was more come and go the cold air would come in and we could have winter weather pre and post transition with the sub. jet?

0z EURO on the making of another Gulf of Mexico rainmaker coming this weekend to a general dollar near you.

555629_558811597545172_926108361_n.jpg

The subtropical jet has been too kind this year. I wonder if it can be partly to blame for our lack of winter weather? We have been flooded with WAA and too much rain it seems. It's hard getting the arctic air anywhere near it when the subtropical jet is just so consistent...maybe if it was more come and go the cold air would come in and we could have winter weather pre and post transition with the sub. jet?

0z EURO on the making of another Gulf of Mexico rainmaker coming this weekend to a general dollar near you.

555629_558811597545172_926108361_n.jpg

That's pretty big for a white one.

My Mtn top is in the 100"+ plus club in 2013 with another 3" expected. Difficulties due to remote location and poor rain catch due to the wind make it tough to come up with a percise number..but using the Nasa rain gauge network for the mtn plus nearby Cochras reporting station 1000 feet lower dowm which came in just over 100"...a final total of 110" seems reasonable.

It really doesn't matter that we saw record rains this year when we are ending the year in the abnormally dry category of the drought monitor.

?????  Maybe 1/3 of the SE is in the abnormally dry area, and that's being generous.  And, how does it not matter?  I'm pretty sure that D0 is pretty much par for the course.  Most places that are receiving near normal rainfall would fluctuate from nothing to D0, week to week, as the yearly total falls below average and then passes it again with the next storm and so on ad infinitum.  I wholeheartedly disagree with your statement here.

20131224_southeast_none.png

?? Maybe 1/3 of the SE is in the abnormally dry area, and that's being generous. And, how does it not matter? I'm pretty sure that D0 pretty much par for the course. Most places that are receiving near normal rainfall would fluctuate from nothing to D0, week to week, as the yearly total falls below average and then passes it again with the next storm and so on ad infinitum. I wholeheartedly disagree with your statement here.

]

Most places are 10-20 inches above normal for the year in the SE and are in the abnormal dry category. It doesn't matter how much it rains. We had 2 extremely dry and hot months. (September and October). That basically dried out most of the ground.

Most places are 10-20 inches above normal for the year in the SE and are in the abnormal dry category. It doesn't matter how much it rains. We had 2 extremely dry and hot months. (September and October). That basically dried out most of the ground.

the ground is anything but dry here. Maybe in the great waycross desert its dry.

(1) Most places are 10-20 inches above normal for the year in the SE and are in the abnormal dry category. (2)It doesn't matter how much it rains. We had 2 extremely dry and hot months. (September and October). (3) That basically dried out most of the ground.

(1) How does less than 1/3 of the SE correspond to your use of the word "most"?

(2) What does this even mean?  Of course it matters how much it rains.

(3) Like franklin NCwx above, I have no dry ground to speak of IMBY.  I received just under 5 inches of rainfall in November, and just shy of 5.5 inches so far in December with more to come overnight and tomorrow.  Like Marion_NC_WX, I'm hoping to reach 75 total inches of rainfall by December 31.  That's pretty incredible, no matter how dry September or October might have been.

(1) How does less than 1/3 of the SE correspond to your use of the word "most"?

(2) What does this even mean?  Of course it matters how much it rains.

(3) Like franklin NCwx above, I have no dry ground to speak of IMBY.  I received just under 5 inches of rainfall in November, and just shy of 5.5 inches so far in December with more to come overnight and tomorrow.  Like Marion_NC_WX, I'm hoping to reach 75 total inches of rainfall by December 31.  That's pretty incredible, no matter how dry September or October might have been.

Did you forget who you were responding to? The King of Generalization and Exaggeration. 

I'm to the point of almost cursing the heavens because I can't take a step without sinking.

How is it not dry? Back in the summer, you could tell we were all very saturated. Every time it would rain, flood warnings would fly up all across GA, NC, and SC. Some of you all saw 4-6 inches of rain with the last storm system, and no one flooded like back in the summer.

I've just had 5" of effing rain in the last two weeks (and it's raining now) - cut the s***!

I STILL have land ponds behind my house (parts of which are still ice because of the shade and no warm temps) from LAST WEEKEND.

Did you forget who you were responding to? The King of Generalization and Exaggeration.

I'm to the point of almost cursing the heavens because I can't take a step without sinking.

How was I exaggerating? He read it wrong. I said most of the SE is 10-20 inches above average rainfall and are in the abnormally dry category. An example is here, we are at 65.37 inches of rain for the year and in the abnormally dry category. What I am saying is, you could have had 100 inches of rain in July, then if the next 3 months are dry, you will be back in a drought and the rain that month didn't really matter.

How was I exaggerating? He read it wrong. I said most of the SE is 10-20 inches above average rainfall and are in the abnormally dry category. An example is here, we are at 65.37 inches of rain for the year and in the abnormally dry category. What I am saying is, you could have had 100 inches of rain in July, then if the next 3 months are dry, you will be back in a drought and the rain that month didn't really matter.

Brother, the first mistake is taking an NOAA Drought Monitor map seriously.  They have been seriously wrong here for 3 straight years.  I have not been in a drought condition since 2009.

The second mistake is assuming we are all in your boat.  In fact, most of us up here could use a boat right now.

Brother, the first mistake is taking an NOAA Drought Monitor map seriously. They have been seriously wrong here for 3 straight years. I have not been in a drought condition since 2009.

The second mistake is assuming we are all in your boat. In fact, most of us up here could use a boat right now.

That's probably what it is. We are at 3.68 for the month which is above average from the average of 3.00 and somehow we are abnormally dry. I'll just agree with you that those maps aren't 100% accurate.

Archived