• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion

CAD_Wedge_NC

UKMet dives the northern stream in from the Pacific Northwest to the ArkLaTex.  Heights relax along the east coast.  Weak low tracks into Ohio.  Looks like it would be Miller B-ish and a decent precip maker, but likely rain, or mix for some.

Lot of options on the table here, from squash city and no storm, to amped up rain maker.  Problem is, the combo of storm + cold makes up a small-ish percentage of the available options in this pattern.

Worst torture of all of this is that this is going to be a total needle thread. Too much cold air and the system is shunted south with little to no moisture. Not enough cold air we get all the moisture we want but it's all rain. So it goes in the SE with most systems nothing is perfect. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big changes at 102. Energy is closed off and sitting in western Texas vs. the 12z which had in southwest Mexico. 

Per 120, much wetter WSW flow means much wetter for the well inland SE. But it isn't as cold and may not be cold enough for much of the precip. for many areas. Tradeoff.

Edit: above 0C at 850 for ATL, GSP but with plentiful rainfall. Maybe there could be some sleet on the northern end?

Thanks, Burger!  I must admit that I'm a little surprised that it was too warm (at least initially) looking at the free 24-hour panels (it appeared to be a pretty perfect track, IMO), but I'll take accumulating snowfall any way we can get it.

It doesn't get cold enough really till about 150. The system is weak but it looks like with the energy phasing (again just guessing here) it really juices up that vortmax which allows the atmosphere to really wring out. RH isn't that great looking right now but I'll take my chances on that getting better. 

Archived