Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Heading into Fall

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

High winds are prohibiting the band from getting strong. If they remain this strong those forecast storm totals are going to be a colossal bust.

I don't know...band is plenty strong where it's located.  Easy 2"/hr. at it's peak here in Lancaster.  Maybe we're seeing some subtle wind shifts going on early in the event and it will consolidate back down south of BUF later this afternoon...?

I don't know...band is plenty strong where it's located.  Easy 2"/hr. at it's peak here in Lancaster.  Maybe we're seeing some subtle wind shifts going on early in the event and it will consolidate back down south of BUF later this afternoon...?

Look at the radar, thing is being sheared apart by the high winds. This thing is not consolidating into one intense band.

In order to get 2-3'+ totals your going to need this band to become one intense consolidated monster. Obviously oscillation will occur, but the winds are definitely playing a huge role in how disorganized this thing is. You can see this very clearly on radar.

I think you are jumping the gun a little but the wind issue is a little disheartening.  Let the cold air deepen and align better before throwing in the towel.  Things are just getting underway in my opinion.  The lack of diurnal mixing tonight may also help the band to consolidate.  Be patient!

Hello folks. I sometimes post on the NYC forum. I'm coming up to niagra falls tomorrow morning via Amtrak and staying until Friday. Quick question. Niagra falls is close to buffalo, but why does the forecast show significantly less snow fall for the falls?

I'm quite surprised none of the weather geeks here answered your question yet.

Here is the answer...Niagara Falls is about 20 miles north of Buffalo and North of Lake Erie. It is not in the direct path of the winds that produce the lake effect. While some snow will reach there, it doesn't dumped upon like Buffalo does. Lake effect snow is often in narrow bands. 1 mile out of the band might get no snow at all. The bands may fluctuate depending on what the wind is doing.

Look at the radar, thing is being sheared apart by the high winds. This thing is not consolidating into one intense band.

Patience, this is just the appetizer...

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

212 PM EST MON JAN 6 2014

NYZ001-010>012-085-062100-

NIAGARA-NORTHERN ERIE-GENESEE-WYOMING-SOUTHERN ERIE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NIAGARA FALLS...BUFFALO...BATAVIA...

WARSAW...ORCHARD PARK...SPRINGVILLE

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW MOVING QUICKLY NORTH...

A BAND OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL MOVE QUICKLY NORTH FROM THE

BUFFALO SOUTHTOWNS ACROSS THE METRO AREA AND INTO THE NORTHERN

SUBURBS AFTER 3 PM. THIS BAND MAY EVEN LIFT AS FAR NORTH AS

SOUTHERN NIAGARA COUNTY...AND ALSO PORTIONS OF WYOMING AND GENESEE

COUNTIES. THIS INITIAL BAND OF SNOW WILL BE BRIEF...WITH ANOTHER

BAND OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW TAKING OVER AS THE PRIMARY BAND ACROSS

THE BUFFALO AREA BY LATE AFTERNOON.

TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE RAPIDLY ACROSS THE BUFFALO

METRO AREA DURING THE MID AFTERNOON...INCLUDING THE NORTHTOWNS.

THE QUICK BURST OF SNOW MAY DROP UP TO AN INCH OF SNOW IN A SHORT

PERIOD OF TIME AND REDUCE VISIBILITIES TO LESS THAN A QUARTER

MILE. SOUTHWEST WINDS GUSTING TO 40 MPH WILL PRODUCE BLOWING AND

DRIFTING SNOW.

$

HITCHCOCK

I'm quite surprised none of the weather geeks here answered your question yet.

Here is the answer...Niagara Falls is about 20 miles north of Buffalo and North of Lake Erie. It is not in the direct path of the winds that produce the lake effect. While some snow will reach there, it doesn't dumped upon like Buffalo does. Lake effect snow is often in narrow bands. 1 mile out of the band might get no snow at all. The bands may fluctuate depending on what the wind is doing.

Thanks! Hopefully I will get to see some snow

Thruway closing down tonight from Williamsville toll barrier (290) down to PA line.

A portion of the Thruway is closing Monday afternoon. The Thruway between Exit 55 (Route 219/Lackawanna/Springville/Orchard Park/West Seneca) and Exit 61 (Shortman Road, Ripley) will be closed to commercial vehicles at 3 p.m. Monday. Starting at 8 p.m., all vehicles traveling westbound on the Thruway will be detoured off the roadway at Exit 50 (I-290 west), and all eastbound traffic will be detoured off at Exit 61 (Shortman Road, Ripley).

Patience, this is just the appetizer...

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

NYZ001-010>012-085-062100-

NIAGARA-NORTHERN ERIE-GENESEE-WYOMING-SOUTHERN ERIE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NIAGARA FALLS...BUFFALO...BATAVIA...

WARSAW...ORCHARD PARK...SPRINGVILLE

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW MOVING QUICKLY NORTH...

A BAND OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL MOVE QUICKLY NORTH FROM THE

BUFFALO SOUTHTOWNS ACROSS THE METRO AREA AND INTO THE NORTHERN

SUBURBS AFTER 3 PM. THIS BAND MAY EVEN LIFT AS FAR NORTH AS

SOUTHERN NIAGARA COUNTY...AND ALSO PORTIONS OF WYOMING AND GENESEE

COUNTIES. THIS INITIAL BAND OF SNOW WILL BE BRIEF...WITH ANOTHER

BAND OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW TAKING OVER AS THE PRIMARY BAND ACROSS

THE BUFFALO AREA BY LATE AFTERNOON.

TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE RAPIDLY ACROSS THE BUFFALO

METRO AREA DURING THE MID AFTERNOON...INCLUDING THE NORTHTOWNS.

THE QUICK BURST OF SNOW MAY DROP UP TO AN INCH OF SNOW IN A SHORT

PERIOD OF TIME AND REDUCE VISIBILITIES TO LESS THAN A QUARTER

MILE. SOUTHWEST WINDS GUSTING TO 40 MPH WILL PRODUCE BLOWING AND

DRIFTING SNOW.

$

HITCHCOCK

We shall see. Looking upstream does not instill much confidence.

When you see pictures like this...With 3-4 individual bands all across WNY you know for a fact that winds are playing a huge role in hindering this band from truly strengthening to one consolidated monster producing 2-3 inches per hour rates. I recall another storm a few years ago where the NWS was calling for 12-18 inches across Metro Buffalo, but because of the winds KBUF received 3-5 inches total for the entire event. Not saying that is going to happen with this, but as many other Mets already pointed out, its a reason for concern.

lake_band.png

Thanks! Hopefully I will get to see some snow

Niagara Falls might as well be 100 miles away from Buffalo when it comes to LES, you need a pretty unusual wind orientation to get significant snowfall from Erie up there. The Ontario shoreline near there might get some, but that would be on a wind with some sort of northerly component. This event is mainly W/WSW I believe, at least initially.

Regardless, if you have some means of 4WD and some free time, it would be worth it to head down to Buffalo or the Southtowns to check out an intense snowband. IMO, not much can compare to it for a weather geek, especially a snow loving one :)

Had a burst about an hour ago that lasted a few minutes and left a dusting.

They show a direct hit for the metro from 15z-21 Tuesday.

18z NAM are more for the southtowns still but edges the Metro. It's close. But, the negative is it's weakening at that point and winds are at their highest then so it may get sheared up. RAP stinks, too. Stays south and weak off Erie. If I get 6" in S Buffalo at this point, I'd be pleased.

Why would you wanna cancel riding through 4 feet of new snow?

Isn't that like heaven?

Too deep for snowmobiles. Last time I was up on the Tug, the snowmobiles were all idle. 57" had fallen and we went up to Snow Ridge for some powder skiing. WOw, what a day. We are hoping to make a repeat of that on Weds...though half of that amount of snow would actually be better. 57" was tough going at first. 

Hello folks. I sometimes post on the NYC forum. I'm coming up to niagra falls tomorrow morning via Amtrak and staying until Friday. Quick question. Niagra falls is close to buffalo, but why does the forecast show significantly less snow fall for the falls?

N Falls requires a 220-230 wind, which isn't going to happen this event. And when it does, there's a short fetch off Erie. But, NF does get into some more NE flow Niagara events, plus the rare perfect NW flow off Huron like the 1 January storm of 2010 where they got 30 inches.

N Falls requires a 220-230 wind, which isn't going to happen this event. And when it does, there's a short fetch off Erie. But, NF does get into some more NE flow Niagara events, plus the rare perfect NW flow off Huron like the 1 January storm of 2010 where they got 30 inches.

Ah okay. Thanks for the replies. I will have to visit buffalo Thursday.

I'm out here in Eastern Upstate NY, well north of Albany and I usually just see rotting remnants of bands off Ontario.  Once in awhile I briefly got into some decent bands when I lived in the eastern Mohawk Valley, near Rotterdam.  In my very brief time in Western NY, I was amazed at the differences in winter snowfall over relatively short distances.  According to the NWS Buffalo snowfall map, the north shore of Niagara County averages about the same or even less than parts of the Hudson Valley. 

Do people out there ever choose to live based on where the least (or most, if they enjoy it) snow falls?  I imagine most of the time its like the rest of us, and based on other factors such as jobs, schools, etc, but I was curious nonetheless.

Niagara Falls might as well be 100 miles away from Buffalo when it comes to LES, you need a pretty unusual wind orientation to get significant snowfall from Erie up there. The Ontario shoreline near there might get some, but that would be on a wind with some sort of northerly component. This event is mainly W/WSW I believe, at least initially.

Regardless, if you have some means of 4WD and some free time, it would be worth it to head down to Buffalo or the Southtowns to check out an intense snowband. IMO, not much can compare to it for a weather geek, especially a snow loving one :)

I'm out here in Eastern Upstate NY, well north of Albany and I usually just see rotting remnants of bands off Ontario. Once in awhile I briefly got into some decent bands when I lived in the eastern Mohawk Valley, near Rotterdam. In my very brief time in Western NY, I was amazed at the differences in winter snowfall over relatively short distances. According to the NWS Buffalo snowfall map, the north shore of Niagara County averages about the same or even less than parts of the Hudson Valley.

Do people out there ever choose to live based on where the least (or most, if they enjoy it) snow falls? I imagine most of the time its like the rest of us, and based on other factors such as jobs, schools, etc, but I was curious nonetheless.

Well snowfall definitely helped me decided to visit the buffalo area this week. Just don't tell my girlfriend haha

Archived