EWR757
Favorite Positive SNE snow bust since 2000

ORH_wxman

Favorite snow bust  

40 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• February 7, 2003 (MA pike south/RI)
    • December 9, 2005 (E MA)
    • December 16, 2007 (MA pike northward front end thump)
    • Feb 22, 2008 (S and SW CT front end thump)
    • Mar 1-2, 2009 (SE CT gravity wave snowbomb)
    • Dec 20, 2009 (SE CT snow bomb)
    • Dec 20-21, 2010 (Cape Cod ocean storm backs in)
    • January 27, 2011 (Nowcast storm, crushes E CT/RI the hardest)
    • March 6-8, 2013 (most of MA east of the CT River and NE CT...The Firehose Storm)
    • February 12, 2006 (CT snowband)
    • February 5, 2001 (SW NH, W MA, N CT mega snowband)
    • Feb 28-Mar 1, 2005 (SE MA convective snowbomb)
    • OCtober 29-30, 2011 (W MA, SW NH, NW CT mesoscale snowband)

I didn't include storms like Boxing Day 2010 which were busts 48 hours out...all of these storms had large positive busts right up to the time the storm starts.

I may have forgotten one or two, so feel free to name your own too if it isn't on the list.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went with Feb 03 here....I remember that being pretty sweet here. That was my freshman year in high school...if I'm thinking correctly it started snowing here maybe 9-10ish and really picked on as the day went on and we ended up with around a foot? Trying to remember the day of the week...want to say Tuesday or Wednesday but Friday keeps popping up in my mind

I have to think about this. I want to favor the March 6-8 storm, but I feel like that always had a chance to deliver heavy snow close by to where I lived (although never thought I would receive such a significant amount). The Feb 7 2003 storm felt like it came out of nowhere, however nostalgia might be getting in the way. 

There's no right or wrong answer...a smaller storm can be your "Favorite" versus a larger storm.

One of my favorite busts from the 1990s is Mar 2, 1996...it was "only" 7 inches but coming out of 1-3 predicted when it started, it felt awesome.

Close call. I'd have voted 12/9/05 but I was out of town so having not experienced it I couldn't vote for it. The reason I took 2/7/03 ws the utter bust...1-2 progged as heavy snow was falling....NWS never catching up. A Friday with a fluff bomb.....followed by deep cold. Classic.

Close call. I'd have voted 12/9/05 but I was out of town so having not experienced it I couldn't vote for it. The reason I took 2/7/03 ws the utter bust...1-2 progged as heavy snow was falling....NWS never catching up. A Friday with a fluff bomb.....followed by deep cold. Classic.

11 inches in BOS when no adivosry was even out, lol. The dendrites were perfect in that.

Bitter cold following made it sweeter too and then watching the progression of PDII bumping northward on the models each run the next week was fun. Pretty epic period of winter those couple weeks.

Those flakes are forever in my mind, Perfect dendrites.

Wait...can Feb 06 really count as a positive bust since it was all mesoscale?

Feb '03 was mesoscale too...a lot of busts are mesoscal banding which is hard to forecast. Same with some of those convective snow bombs in SE CT on the lists and gravity waves, Mesoscale can cover a pretty large area.

I guess...I thought about that one but I thought it was pretty well forecast outside of the TV stations (sans Ryan in Hartford who was balls to wall). Though the high end amounts were definitely underforecast.

I was thinking more like BDL and up into nrn ORH county and SW NH, where they really got hefty amounts. Not so mch east of ORH.

Feb '03 was mesoscale too...a lot of busts are mesoscal banding which is hard to forecast. Same with some of those convective snow bombs in SE CT on the lists and gravity waves, Mesoscale can cover a pretty large area.

Yeah you're right there. Those setups where you know there is going to be massive mesoscale banding but aren't quite sure where are the best.

I remember that Feb 03 one even better now...it wasn't supposed to be much here but a band developed, strengthened and just sat over the area. If this is the same system I'm thinking if we had like 6-8" between 9 AM and noon

I was thinking more like BDL and up into nrn ORH county and SW NH, where they really got hefty amounts. Not so mch east of ORH.

I added it...but I didn't want to confuse people with their favorite storm versus favorite bust....since Oct 2011 wasn't a massive bust except maybe right in the heart of that snowband where they got 20"+ versus 8-14".

11 inches in BOS when no adivosry was even out, lol. The dendrites were perfect in that.

Bitter cold following made it sweeter too and then watching the progression of PDII bumping northward on the models each run the next week was fun. Pretty epic period of winter those couple weeks.

I remember my wife calling me from Newton telling me she thought we were about to get slammed and the forecasts were wrong, She was right!

Those smaller "busts" are sometimes some of the more memorable ones.  Although we saw models edge closer and closer that day, the 1/19/09 storm was a real enjoyable snow that maybe was only hinted at 24 hrs prior. I wouldn't put it in the list, but it was a real enjoyable snow as we saw this thing edge west during the day. 

Yeah you're right there. Those setups where you know there is going to be massive mesoscale banding but aren't quite sure where are the best.

I remember that Feb 03 one even better now...it wasn't supposed to be much here but a band developed, strengthened and just sat over the area. If this is the same system I'm thinking if we had like 6-8" between 9 AM and noon

Yes it was in the morning...Friday morning. I think there were advisories out for SE MA/RI and maybe SE CT...that was it. Then basically the whole area from the pike southward got warning criteria.

snow020703.gif

I added it...but I didn't want to confuse people with their favorite storm versus favorite bust....since Oct 2011 wasn't a massive bust except maybe right in the heart of that snowband where they got 20"+ versus 8-14".

Yeah I hear you. That was such an awesome band though...but you knew someone was going to get nailed in that.

Those smaller "busts" are sometimes some of the more memorable ones.  Although we saw models edge closer and closer that day, the 1/19/09 storm was a real enjoyable snow that maybe was only hinted at 24 hrs prior. I wouldn't put it in the list, but it was a real enjoyable snow as we saw this thing edge west during the day. 

Funny you mention that storm...I almost put it on the list originally, but didn't think it was quite big enough. But I probably should have...sometimes people's favorite busts are the smaller ones...like getting 5-6" when you thought 1".

Yes it was in the morning...Friday morning. I think there were advisories out for SE MA/RI and maybe SE CT...that was it. Then basically the whole area from the pike southward got warning criteria.

snow020703.gif

That's it!!! OMG I remember that day so well. I was in math and if started to snow and it started coming down like crazy and like 20 minutes later they announced school was getting out early.

Not too long after school was out it all slowed down. The majority of the snowfall fell in a few hour span.

I voted for the Firehose Storm this year in March.

Though I was seriously considering 12/16/07...just because I personally enjoyed it so much. But I think enjoyed this March's bust a bit better. Even my bullish forecast was still way too low here.

April 10 1996 I was caught up stream fishing. Was expecting only rain ended up with 10 inches of snow.That storm gave me over 100 inches of snow of the season

Great storm. Absolutely destroyed E CT and NW RI with any elevation. Even the lowlands got 6-9" of slop.

Archived