• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Impressive "cool" streak in the heat of summer

phlwx

Today (Sun) is the 12th straight day of below average temperatures (using the high/low mean) in Philadelphia -- it equals the streak of below average set after Sandy hit the region last October (10/30-11/10).

It's also, I believe, the longest streak since February 5-19, 2003 (15 days) where we've failed to go above average on a single day. 

Keep in mind the averages pre-2010 include the 70's so temperatures would be a bit cooler than our current data set but to pull off a consistent streak of temperatures below average, regardless of era/time/place, is pretty tough to do.

Looks like the streak goes 14...maybe 15 depending on how much thunder/clouds are around on Wednesday.

Today (Sun) is the 12th straight day of below average temperatures (using the high/low mean) in Philadelphia -- it equals the streak of below average set after Sandy hit the region last October (10/30-11/10).

It's also, I believe, the longest streak since February 5-19, 2003 (15 days) where we've failed to go above average on a single day. 

Keep in mind the averages pre-2010 include the 70's so temperatures would be a bit cooler than our current data set but to pull off a consistent streak of temperatures below average, regardless of era/time/place, is pretty tough to do.

Looks like the streak goes 14...maybe 15 depending on how much thunder/clouds are around on Wednesday.

Of course it happened while I was in Mexico

Quite an interesting stretch of weather lately, huh?  From June 23rd through July 23rd, 30 out of 31 days had above normal temperatures.  From July 24th to present, not a single one!  This 15-day streak of below normal temperatures is the longest such streak in Philly since February 2003.  This August has been 5.6° below normal so far.

• 2 weeks later...

1984-85 winter had a very mild December,cold January and somewhat snowy feb

I wouldn't call 4" of snow in FEB somewhat snowy, last measurable snow for the season was 2/6 so hardly anything to write home about....

84-85 was like many Philly winters a 4 week period of cold and dink & dunk snows, big ticket item was the Reagan Inauguration arctic outbreak across the entire Eastern U.S.

Outside of Jan 82, Feb 83 & the 86-87 winter the decade of the 80's was more notable for very cold Jan weather than snowfall.

I believe the western burbs of philly did a bit better but the winter as a while was around 75% of normal snowfall, also the 86-87 winter there was close to 60 inches of snow in Coatesville but philly only had around 25.

I wouldn't call 4" of snow in FEB somewhat snowy, last measurable snow for the season was 2/6 so hardly anything to write home about....

84-85 was like many Philly winters a 4 week period of cold and dink & dunk snows, big ticket item was the Reagan Inauguration arctic outbreak across the entire Eastern U.S.

Outside of Jan 82, Feb 83 & the 86-87 winter the decade of the 80's was more notable for very cold Jan weather than snowfall.

Archived