Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished up a mini case study of 7/27/1994 with lots of maps for Tom's site: http://philadelphiaweather.blogspot.com/2013/07/historical-case-study-of-july-1994.html

That's a great read.  As I posted in the previous thread about historical Pennsylvania tornadoes, I've long been interested in learning more about the Limerick tornado, especially now that I live only a few miles away in Collegeville.

That's a great read.  As I posted in the previous thread about historical Pennsylvania tornadoes, I've long been interested in learning more about the Limerick tornado, especially now that I live only a few miles away in Collegeville.

Actually, a new article was posted recently about the F3 in Limerick. I've also long been fascinated by that twister.

http://philadelphiaweather.blogspot.com/2013/07/historical-case-study-of-july-1994.html

good stuff TR, my post below from another board lifetime

went directly from this event to post ice storm Montreal to attend a power conference, tree damage in the city & especially south of the city was mind boggling, Hydro-Quebec put on an amazing presentation on the ice storm - really cool time weather wise

love to see a 7/16/1980 case study......

Technically 6/1/98 for us in extreme SE PA and only time I can remember Philly being under "high risk".

This tornado only 3 miles from my house, most awesome lightning display I've ever witnessed. Latter that morning had a flight to Montreal & driving to the airport the damage was incredible on the Boulevard at Southampton Road, tree's snapped in half, debris everywhere. In addition to the tornado there was widespread straight-line wind damage all over Philly, a whole billboard was blown down on 95 at Allegheny Ave, winds to 71mph at PHL.

From NCDC storm event archive:

Event: Tornado
Begin Date: 01 Jun 1998, 12:20:00 AM EST
Begin Location: 2 Miles North of Bustleton
Begin LAT/LON: 40°07'N / 75°02'W
End Date: 01 Jun 1998, 12:28:00 AM EST
End Location: 4 Miles East South East of Bustleton
End LAT/LON: 40°05'N / 74°57'W
Length: 6 Miles
Width: 200 Yards
Magnitude: F2
Fatalities: 0
Injuries: 0
Property Damage: $ 1.8M
State: Pennsylvania
County: Philadelphia

Description:
A tornado ripped through Upper and Lower Moreland Townships as well as extreme northeast Philadelphia during the early morning of June 1st. The tornado was rated as an F1 (A weak tornado on the Fujita Scale) in Montgomery County and intensified into an F2 (or strong tornado on the Fujita Scale) within Philadelphia. The worst damage occurred within the unoccupied Byberry Industrial Park as the tornado reached its strongest intensity. Thirty-five commercial buildings were damaged, nine severely. Damage outside of the industrial park was mainly confined to downed trees. About ten homes were damaged by fallen trees. The damage within Philadelphia was discontinuous suggesting the tornado was not on the ground for its entire lifetime across the city. Damage was estimated at $1.8 million dollars. Because the buildings were unoccupied, no injuries occurred. The tornado moved into the city from Lower Moreland Township in the Bustleton/Lumar Park area around 120 a.m. EDT. Trees were split and knocked down. The tornado intensified into a strong one (F2 on the Fujita Scale) as it crossed into the Byberry Industrial Park. The worst damage was done in the area around Byberry Road, McNulty Road, Roosevelt Boulevard and Southampton Road. Five ton air conditioning units were tossed. Of the 35 commercial buildings damaged, nine were severely damaged and declared "imminently dangerous". Slabs of the roof were tossed 200 yards. Some buildings lost entire sides, had buckled steel beams, shattered windows and crushed equipment. The tornado plucked utility poles from the ground. About 20 poles were knocked over. Five teams of tree service personnel were overwhelmed. Damage south of the industrial park became sporadic as the tornado turned toward the southeast. It lifted just before the Bucks County border near Woodhaven Road just to the southeast of the Franklin Mills Mall. Its path length was about 5.6 miles and path width about 200 yards. PECO Energy reported 34,000 customers in Philadelphia lost power. Five thousand still did not have power the evening of the 1st. It was the worst non-winter storm in PECO Energy's 50 year history and the fourth worst overall. According to their lightning detection system, there were 7,000 cloud to ground lightning strikes in their service area as this line of thunderstorms moved through.

This tornado only 3 miles from my house, most awesome lightning display I've ever witnessed. Latter that morning had a flight to Montreal & driving to the airport the damage was incredible on the Boulevard at Southampton Road, tree's snapped in half, debris everywhere. In addition to the tornado there was widespread straight-line wind damage all over Philly, a whole billboard was blown down on 95 at Allegheny Ave, winds to 71mph at PHL.

This tornado came directly through my backyard in Lower Moreland, over the house and then down the street.  Our doors were all blocked by fallen trees and we had to climb out of the bathroom window to get out.  We had about $25k in damages.  Action News was broadcasting the story from my backyard that evening.  The tornado's path through the woods behind the house can still be seen today.

Very cool, both of you.

I was only 4 years old (turning 5 in about a week though) so I don't remember the event itself happening, despite living close enough that we were probably under a TOR for it.

My dad worked at an office building on the west side of the Boulevard between Southampton and Woodhaven at the time.  There was essentially no damage there, but I remember days and weeks later him taking my sister and I down Southampton Road to look at the industrial buildings there with large chunks missing.

Hilarious watching this "thing" fizzle making it's way east.

$higgy thunderstorm year, lackluster hurricane year, don't even get me started on last 2 winters......phillies suck, flyers sucked, eagles $hat the bed.....

Boooooorrrrrrriiiinnnngg

gurasy6y.jpg

Couple mins later:

e8ega8eg.jpg

Archived