• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Heavy rain/Andrea effects thread

NJHurricane

Not sure if this overlaps any existing threads, if I missed them mods please delete/merge...

Seems to be divergent model camps...some bring heaviest qpf up spine of appalachians to our west, others nearer us or juuuuusssst offshore.  Feels like winter playing pin the max qpf tail on the donkey.

Curious to see if we start to converge on a fall line N and W axis as seems to happen in these scenarios.  Either way I see Mt Holly is out in front again with the *potential* impacts of heavier rain with briefing package.

Jon in Jersey

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS has been keeping the moisture right of track (almost in continuation without regard to interaction with the trough) while the Euro eventually shifts it to left-of-track as Andrea's center interacts with the approaching trough and we get the "squeeze" of moisture due to the east winds being pushed into the frontal boundary.

More often than not when tropical systems push up the coast with a front nearby the boundary becomes a focal point for heavy rains...and that boundary often is left of track.

It seems like the GFS wants to keep this tropical whereas the Euro is picking up on the frontal boundary/trough and showing the transition. I may be wrong on the GFS' thinking but it seems that it shows the heavier rain remaining right of track and is disregarding the influence of the trough in the region.

Andrea will very likely be post-trop at this latitude.

This is definately an IMBY request (feel free to delete it)...I work for a school and we are trying to decide if we will be able to have our outdoor graduation this evening at 7:00PM.  We are in eastern Berks county.  Thoughts?

This is definately an IMBY request (feel free to delete it)...I work for a school and we are trying to decide if we will be able to have our outdoor graduation this evening at 7:00PM.  We are in eastern Berks county.  Thoughts?

The start may be fine but towards the end you may get into some rain.

what are those secondary precip max blobs that rotate into the area after andrea?

It looks like the actual remnants of the COC of Anrea. The initial batch looks like frontegenic forcing out ahead of the main vorticity. then, as the "core" of Andrea wraps up by us, brings that 2nd batch it seems.

pa8a5ezy.jpg

uzumydyg.jpg

what are those secondary precip max blobs that rotate into the area after andrea on the gfs?

From the MA thread:

Small shortwave at 500 that kicked Andrea out in the first place using the moist tropical front it left behind as a precip bomb when the two overlap.

NWS

THE GFS IS SHOWING A SECONDARY LOW FORMING IN THE WAKE OF ANDREA AND
WILL ROTATE THROUGH THE MID LEVEL TROUGH ON SATURDAY. THERE MAY BE A
FEW MORE SHOWERS OR A THUNDERSTORM THAT OCCUR AS A RESULT OF THIS
WAVE ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON/EVENING BUT IT WILL CLEAR OUT QUICKLY AND
WE SHOULD DRY OUT FOR SUNDAY AS WEAK HIGH PRESSURE STARTS TO PUSH IN
FROM THE WEST. WITH LINGERING MOISTURE, WE COULD SEE SOME STORMS POP
UP SUNDAY AFTERNOON AS A RESULT OF SURFACE HEATING. ANY THAT DEVELOP
WOULD LIKELY BE MORE ISOLATED TO SCATTERED.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

yea, i looked at the gfs h5 map. The first initial heavy blob i believe is with the warm front lifting north...2nd area is with andrea, and the third is with that h5 vort that swings through.

At least the winds will be minimal so we do not have to worry about power outages.

It looks like the actual remnants of the COC of Anrea. The initial batch looks like frontegenic forcing out ahead of the main vorticity. then, as the "core" of Andrea wraps up by us, brings that 2nd batch it seems.

pa8a5ezy.jpg

uzumydyg.jpg

Looks like an upper air distrubance that has left Dallas and now is rotating around the bottom of the

trough associated with Tropical Storm Andrea.... now if this were winter a truly negative NAO would have slowed all 3 pieces for a triple phase.

.73 in PTW, around .50 in RDG, .22 in PHL so far.

Hi res modeling (take it with grain of salt) has heaviest rains in western burbs...4" amounts not out of the question.  Fits in the "west of 95" thinking that a few of us have had with the heaviest rain.

Other thing I'll add -- even though Berks/Lehigh/Northampton aren't under flash flood watches, really think there will be some flooding in the usual suspect streams (Little Lehigh) in those areas, perhaps into Monroe County.

0.47 at this early hour in Tamaqua. Not sure what to expect for the backyard as it seems I'm slightly west of the "heaviest" rainfall area, but I'll be running through northern NJ into southeastern NY state today and then back to the Lehigh Valley. Figure on seeing some of that heavier action in my travels.

Archived