joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PVD Marathon WX Disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like wet wx would get hung up over Midwest as ridge forces everything NW along stalled front out there

FWIW, the 00z Euro control run had low/mid-60's on the 12th, with the ensemble mean even warmer. Will see what 12z says...

Modeling showing a pretty warm day as we get closer. 70's to near 80 in the afternoon. Hopefully 50's when it starts

It's got that front that I spoke of just to our west. I certainly would watch that if it tries to move east a little quicker. Otherwise if it stays west, congrats on sweating.

You'll be in a wheelchair when your knees give out in 10 years, but at least you'll be healthy.

You don't get knee problems from runnin. Do some research. If you have bad knees when you start running then it can cause issues, but running does not cause bad knees.

Are your underarms getting that shaky, flabby look when you hold your arms out straight? 

You don't get knee problems from runnin. Do some research. If you have bad knees when you start running then it can cause issues, but running does not cause bad knees.

Are your underarms getting that shaky, flabby look when you hold your arms out straight? 

Running normal distances like 5 miles here and there won't give you issues.....your body is not made for running 60+ miles a week. You'll see.

You'll be in a wheelchair when your knees give out in 10 years, but at least you'll be healthy.

I wish kev the best w his run in pvd. Im an impress'd by anyone that have conditioned their bodies to do this. With that being said as a personal trainer i certainly wouldnt encourage anyone to train for a marathon due to the increase risk for injuries, not to mention the atrophy of muscle mass for fuel during prolonged cardio (over an hr). I think 5k's are a great motivational tool toward weightloss and then train to increase speed in those events, otherwise the pounding of the pavement will catch up to a majority of runners, cycling is much safer on knees if u want distance cardio. Its very difficult to step away from the runners high till the knees force ur hand,which is why i mention cycling. I think kev would enjoy the narrow seat against his bum and the tight pants, seems like a natural fit?

I wish kev the best w his run in pvd. Im an impress'd by anyone that have conditioned their bodies to do this. With that being said as a personal trainer i certainly wouldnt encourage anyone to train for a marathon due to the increase risk for injuries, not to mention the atrophy of muscle mass for fuel during prolonged cardio (over an hr). I think 5k's are a great motivational tool toward weightloss and then train to increase speed in those events, otherwise the pounding of the pavement will catch up to a manority of runners, cycling is much safer on knees if u want distance cardio. Its very difficult to step away from the runners high till the knees force ur hand

Listen up Kev.

Each is entitled to own opinion. I've done extensive reading on it. If you have knee issues going in, then yes it can harm knees, but if legs, knees are healthy it has 0 negative effect on knees. Look at all the 80+ yr olds running multiple marathons each year

the thing to watch out for is also foot and ankle problems and what can happen is the body compensates for these minor imbalances by slightly favoring one side and then if these things persist the new running alignment can cause an imbalance on ur joints during repetitive impact. I.e a knee or hip injury can originate from a modification in form from a foot/ankle pain. Sometimes all will be fine. You probably understand All this already. Also you are pretty young, running after 50, is another story w some healing , anti-inflammatory abilities of ur body in decline and the risk of injury discomfort increasing. Kev do u have any shot of breaking a PR during pvd run.

Recent studies have found running actually protects the knees.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/The-Explainer-Can-Running-Actually-Be-Good-for-Your-Knees.html

METHODS: A study in the journal Medical Science Sports Exercise tracked 74,752 runners over 7.1 years and 14,625 walkers over 5.7 years looking at the number of hip replacements and cases of osteoarthritis in each group.

RESULTS: The runners had fewer cases of osteoarthritis and needed fewer hip replacements than the walkers. Regardless of their mileage, runners were at roughly half the risk for osteoarthritis and hip replacements than walkers who expended equal amounts of energy (measured in METhr/d). Surprisingly, other forms of exercise were more damaging then either running or walking.

the thing to watch out for is also foot and ankle problems and what can happen is the body compensates for these minor imbalances by slightly favoring one side and then if these things persist the new running alignment can cause an imbalance on ur joints during repetitive impact. I.e a knee or hip injury can originate from a modification in form from a foot/ankle pain. Sometimes all will be fine. You probably understand All this already. Also you are pretty young, running after 50, is another story w some healing , anti-inflammatory abilities of ur body in decline and the risk of injury discomfort increasing. Kev do u have any shot of breaking a PR during pvd run.

I'd like to think I do. I've been training for it. All I can do is pray the training helps get me there.

Archived